Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #85

American Coach Owners Club
Awesome news! Its often the little things that cause the biggest bellyache....Now on to the next one! Happy Holidays!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #86

Great News
Thanks for the update
Have a wonderful Christmas
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you kept your belt one. When the repair shop replaces a belt do they replace it properly. Do the mechanic really know the proper sequence? I had a belt go after a shop installed my alternator. The proper replacement of the belt is important so as not to damage the belt in the process. The correct process is to pull the tensioner pulley all the way back, route the belt according to the diagram and the last pulley to be used for install is the smooth pulley which has no ribs. If you try to force it over any other pulley it may damage the integrity of the belt causing early failure.

I also had other subsequent problems and found the pulley on the tensioner to be intermittently defective.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:17 PM   #88

So I just stumbled onto this thread after a google search for my replacement belt. I read this whole thread from the OP to the end. The exact thing happened to me a few days ago. My coach is almost exactly the same as the OP. 2013 Newmar Mountain Aire 3437. 450 ISL. FL chassis. My serpentine belt broke the same way. Only indication is an overheated engine. Unfortunately the wife was driving and doesn't pay attention to the gauges. I happened to be looking over and noticed water temp was super hot, then red shut off engine light came on, we babied it a little further then pulled over to the side of I75 in Corbin KY. Sat there for an hour until engine had cooled down, then restarted and pulled off the interstate right into a diesel mechanic shop and they were able to work on it for us. Previous owner of my coach had several spare belts so I thought I was in good shape. Turns out he had the completely wrong belt for this motor, but they were able to source one from Autozone of all places. Got it installed, and went on our merry way. No damage to the engine thank God! Drove two more days and made it home without incident. My belt broke the same way as the OP. We tested all pulleys and everything spun freely without any resistance. Now I know how to change the belts on my own having watched the mechanics do it. Now looking for replacement spares. Alot of interesting info exchanged in this thread. Appreciate it!
Old 04-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Awesome news! Its often the little things that cause the biggest bellyache....Now on to the next one! Happy Holidays!

I gather you fixed him up?
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #90

ScottyBye that picture of the broken belt is an impact break, something is locking up IMO. The V-grooves are stripped away on one end of that broken belt.
The best person to evaluate that broken belt is a mfgrs. rep. like NAPA.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reyburn View Post
So I just stumbled onto this thread after a google search for my replacement belt. I read this whole thread from the OP to the end. The exact thing happened to me a few days ago. My coach is almost exactly the same as the OP. 2013 Newmar Mountain Aire 3437. 450 ISL. FL chassis. My serpentine belt broke the same way. Only indication is an overheated engine. Unfortunately the wife was driving and doesn't pay attention to the gauges. I happened to be looking over and noticed water temp was super hot, then red shut off engine light came on, we babied it a little further then pulled over to the side of I75 in Corbin KY. Sat there for an hour until engine had cooled down, then restarted and pulled off the interstate right into a diesel mechanic shop and they were able to work on it for us. Previous owner of my coach had several spare belts so I thought I was in good shape. Turns out he had the completely wrong belt for this motor, but they were able to source one from Autozone of all places. Got it installed, and went on our merry way. No damage to the engine thank God! Drove two more days and made it home without incident. My belt broke the same way as the OP. We tested all pulleys and everything spun freely without any resistance. Now I know how to change the belts on my own having watched the mechanics do it. Now looking for replacement spares. Alot of interesting info exchanged in this thread. Appreciate it!
Snap a picture of your new "correct" belt showing the part number for your permanent MH files.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #92

Good idea! And since I purchased them on Amazon I have a permanent record of my past orders if I need more.