Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

C8.3 Water Pump, what brand?

I need to buy a new water pump for my 8.3 as I noticed the weep hole is leaking pretty good now. My question is what brand pump is everyone using? I can find cheap no-name, I tend to avoid those on all my repairs. I found a gates, and some others. What is the go-to "won't be redoing this in a month" water pump folks are using?
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

I would stay with the Cummins.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I would stay with the Cummins.
Where do you order cummins parts from? Direct from them?
Old 12-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #4

Well I ended up going with a Gates. The Cummins was $200 and the Gates was $100. The Cummins only had a 1 year warranty and the Gates had Lifetime. I have had good luck with Gates products in the past so hopefully this is another one. Luckily I have a side radiator and this looks to be a very simple install.

I am kicking myself as I just flushed the coolant system a month ago and was in a hurry and did not do the pump...I will drain the coolant into some clean buckets and hopefully reuse the Zerex OAC I put in!
Old 12-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I had my radiator ruined with road debris and had to have it changed I insisted that the Cummins shop replace the water pump and thermostats. The engine and radiator completely drained so to be able to move the coach so a tow truck could hook up I tan a hose from my wet bay faucet to the surge tank and just pumped fresh water through the system. I also insisted on a complete flush prior to adding new coolant. Seemed like the best time to do it and the cost was minimal compared to the cost of the radiator and labor.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #6

You probably could not have gotten a cummins water pump now unless you found someone that had one in stock. I had to replace one a month or two ago on an 8.3 equipped peterbilt at work and couldnt get a cummins one from MHC Kenworth or Cummins Atlantic. They both said cummins is having major issues getting stuff out of the warehouses due to covid. Everything is backordered. May be better now but I still have several parts ordered from weeks ago that I am still waiting for. My shop down in SC has been waiting for injectors for an ISX12 for months.
John_Penzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
When I had my radiator ruined with road debris and had to have it changed I insisted that the Cummins shop replace the water pump and thermostats. The engine and radiator completely drained so to be able to move the coach so a tow truck could hook up I tan a hose from my wet bay faucet to the surge tank and just pumped fresh water through the system. I also insisted on a complete flush prior to adding new coolant. Seemed like the best time to do it and the cost was minimal compared to the cost of the radiator and labor.
One of the first things I did was flush the coolant system really well with multiple rounds of distilled water and then switched to OAC coolant. I was racing the weather so I skipped the pump and thermostat. Now I'm kicking myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Penzi View Post
You probably could not have gotten a cummins water pump now unless you found someone that had one in stock. I had to replace one a month or two ago on an 8.3 equipped peterbilt at work and couldnt get a cummins one from MHC Kenworth or Cummins Atlantic. They both said cummins is having major issues getting stuff out of the warehouses due to covid. Everything is backordered. May be better now but I still have several parts ordered from weeks ago that I am still waiting for. My shop down in SC has been waiting for injectors for an ISX12 for months.

I have had several covid related issues with construction supplies too. Don't get me started on lumber issues

I was confused on how I would even order the cummins one. I found a few listed on ebay etc but was not quite sure how to order direct from cummins. Perhaps they only sell to repair shops?

I would guess that I will be fine with the Gates. Worse case it fails but it look like about as easy of a repair job as it gets!
Old 12-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
https://www.cummins.com/parts/search-for-parts
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis 05 Jeep Wk
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Yup I tried that. I even have an account set up and added my engine serial number to my profile. I can find the pump but nowhere does it give me a price or say I can buy it. It creates a shopping list of sorts that I could send to my parts person or something. I was confused by it. It seemed more like something for a fleet manager or something.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
Yup I tried that. I even have an account set up and added my engine serial number to my profile. I can find the pump but nowhere does it give me a price or say I can buy it. It creates a shopping list of sorts that I could send to my parts person or something. I was confused by it. It seemed more like something for a fleet manager or something.
Who is the local cummins branch? Out here (Charlotte area), its Cummins Atlantic. You can just go to the parts counter, get what you need and pay with a credit card (since you wouldn't have an account). I also get Cummins parts from the local Kenworth dealer (MHC). Gotten stuff from Peterbilt too when they are the only ones whomhave what I need in stock. They'll all sell parts to anybody.

You can also google the PN you found too and buy it online (though it might be more expensive).
Old 12-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Who is the local cummins branch? Out here (Charlotte area), its Cummins Atlantic. You can just go to the parts counter, get what you need and pay with a credit card (since you wouldn't have an account). I also get Cummins parts from the local Kenworth dealer (MHC). Gotten stuff from Peterbilt too when they are the only ones whomhave what I need in stock. They'll all sell parts to anybody.

You can also google the PN you found too and buy it online (though it might be more expensive).
John,

I'm in Lexington just a few miles from you. Have you bought from Consolidated Truck parts there in Rockwell? They may be able to get what you're looking for. I've bought parts from them several times and we're very reasonable and seem like a good group of guys. They gave always had or got very quickly what I needed.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:

Ahh okay, I guess I didn't think of that as I shop online pretty much exclusively nowadays for projects that I have time to order and fix later. I know there is a cummins shop around. I've seen them but never worked with them. I will check out their pricing (and maybe a few other shops too) next parts I need. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-14-2020, 04:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
John,

I'm in Lexington just a few miles from you. Have you bought from Consolidated Truck parts there in Rockwell? They may be able to get what you're looking for. I've bought parts from them several times and we're very reasonable and seem like a good group of guys. They gave always had or got very quickly what I needed.

Chad
Well, as a matter of fact, I'm in Rockwell and know those guys well. When Cummins told me they couldn't get me a water pump, Consolidated was my next call (and they had one the next day). I got all my exhaust pipe parts there for my coach when I changed from the factory 4" muffler to a 5." They have a lot of stuff in stock over there and you can usually make something work.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Well, as a matter of fact, I'm in Rockwell and know those guys well. When Cummins told me they couldn't get me a water pump, Consolidated was my next call (and they had one the next day). I got all my exhaust pipe parts there for my coach when I changed from the factory 4" muffler to a 5." They have a lot of stuff in stock over there and you can usually make something work.
John that's exactly what I found. Always had the stuff to make it work. I wasn't sure they could get Cummins parts but it doesn't surprise me they can. I'd much rather buy from them over the $$$ dealer.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump