Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Mile marker 42. Which lift pump did you order? And from where. Iím looking to tackle this project for my ISL
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePo View Post
Mile marker 42. Which lift pump did you order? And from where. Iím looking to tackle this project for my ISL
I ordered this pump on ebay. Ordered the wiring, bracket and plastic stand off from AirDog.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
I ordered this pump on ebay. Ordered the wiring, bracket and plastic stand off from AirDog.

Did you have to call them? Iím having a hard time just searching for the harness and bracket. Wonder would it be easier to just order the whole kit.
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePo View Post
Did you have to call them? I’m having a hard time just searching for the harness and bracket. Wonder would it be easier to just order the whole kit.
I did call. You can't find their accessories page on their website. They sent me a link to it and I studied that to decide what I wanted. In this link which isn't AirDog, you can see the flat bracket and plastic stand off. This just a reference for you.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #131

Update after install of AirDog pump

I thought I would update on my AirDog only install from post 116 on this thread. I have now just under 500 miles under my belt with sea level driving and at grade 4K ft+ with absolutely no issues at all. I haven't had to do a single thing since I completed everything. I'd love to say my engine runs better, smoother and with more power, but I cannot. It runs like it did before the install, which by the way was great. I know some people state they noticed a difference, but I cannot honestly say I do. What I will say is that a long grade I have to climb to get to Lake Havasu in AZ, I thought I was down to 3rd gear and about 40 mph with Jeep on the back in previous trips, this trip I climbed it in 4th gear and over 45 mph. Now, I may be thinking incorrectly on the 3rd gear and 40, but that is what I remember from previous trips. Maybe my mind is tricking me???
Old 04-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #132

That's great feedback.
Your performance is same as mine after install... nothing different.
All I've really noticed is engine starts quicker than before.
.... plus I feel better knowing I always have positive fuel psi....

I think a lot of folks that experience better power, mileage etc.... could have had other issues that installing the FASS or airdog took care of, like replaced fuel lines, bypassed the lift pump, OEM filter restrictions or the like. But that's just my $0.02
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #133

Fass Fuel up grade

Mack Wrench and Mile Marker 42....I am like you ...I put a FF pump in line on my 400 ISL. I just did it to keep my Injector pump wet. I noticed NO additional power, but on the long grades where it use to downshift, it is a little faster and waits to get a lower gear. No other diff that I can tell. I just trying to make the Main pump last longer. That's my 1 cents . MOMCAT
Old 04-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby124 View Post
Some early isc caps engines the lift pump was mounted against the ecm to cool it my ecm is on passenger side below the caps and just forward of the caps
Newbie here that is a little late to the conversation. I believe I too have the CAPS system with a lift pump that is mounted against the ECM to cool it. How can the ECM possibly be cooled if most everyone in this forum is bypassing the in/out ports to the lift pump?

If flowing fuel through the lift pump is truly needed to cool the ECM, it seems to me the best option would be to install a positive pressure pump between the primary and secondary filters, continue to use all ports of the original lift pump, and simply disconnect the original lift pump with the relay trick.

Or, am I not understanding this correctly? Thanks
TommyXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:53 PM   #135

Not all ecms are cooled by the lift pump my 2002 isc isnt
Old 04-10-2021, 05:44 AM   #136

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyXu View Post
Newbie here that is a little late to the conversation. I believe I too have the CAPS system with a lift pump that is mounted against the ECM to cool it. How can the ECM possibly be cooled if most everyone in this forum is bypassing the in/out ports to the lift pump?

If flowing fuel through the lift pump is truly needed to cool the ECM, it seems to me the best option would be to install a positive pressure pump between the primary and secondary filters, continue to use all ports of the original lift pump, and simply disconnect the original lift pump with the relay trick.

That's a good point. I've been looking at what approach to take on adding a positive pressure pump to the system. Maybe just an AirDog in line between the primary filter and lift pump and leave everything else as is, no dummy relays or other changes. Obviously up front by the fuel tank would be the best but I'm not sure I have access there. Need to look at that further.
The below is from my Owner's Manual:

"The fuel passes through the fuel transfer pump, which is a fixed clearance gear transfer pump, and through passages in the electronic control module (ECM) in order to provide cooling for the electronics."
Old 04-10-2021, 07:09 AM   #137

Low Flyer 1

I could not find a good place to mount my new pump next to my fuel tank either.I know pushing fuel is the best and proper way to do it. I called Fass Fuel, and spoke with a Tech man, named Jarriel. He was super helpful and nice. He said the FF pump he recommended would have no problem drawing the fuel. My understanding is that the CAPS Injector P is sucking after 30 seconds anyway thru the original lift pump, so that is what I did. I replaced the original water separator filter with the FF Titanium setup, and have put about 9000 miles on it and it has done well. ( I just knocked on wood too) I know this is not what some people would do, but I figured FF knew what their pumps will do. Good luck no matter how You decide to do your project. MOMCAT
Old 04-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #138
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyXu View Post

From my understanding, the the ECM cooled lift pump was used on the common rail injection pump.

Bill
Old 04-10-2021, 11:33 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
From my understanding, the the ECM cooled lift pump was used on the common rail injection pump.

Bill
I think this is correct. My 2004 Monaco diplomat has the HPCR (Hi Pressure common rail) CAPS2 system. It was all very confusing as I chased my stall problem. The pump is injection pump is oft referred to as CAPS, but I guess technically it is HPCR. In which case, the ECM is mounted in the Lift pump housing some how and is cooled by the fuel flow through it. It's the primary reason that my FASS install didn't change anything WRT lift pump and plumbing/wiring. My lift pump still operates as it always did and is still in place. If it ever fails, i shouldn't know it, because the FASS ids actually doing it's original job. It is simply "dead heading" along all day. the other reason I left it alone, is that if the FASS pump ever fails, I can bypass it and return to OEM configuration with a simple twist of a ball valve and unless the lift pump has also failed w/o me knowing it, I should be able to crank and go. My advice ---- If you have the HPCR system, don't tinker with the lift pump stuff. I have over 4K miles on my FASS install having now a gage on my dash showing me FASS ouput pump pressure and all's well. See my long thread on "Stalls and seems to heal overnight". lbw6303
lbw6303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #140

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
I could not find a good place to mount my new pump next to my fuel tank either.I know pushing fuel is the best and proper way to do it. I called Fass Fuel, and spoke with a Tech man, named Jarriel. He was super helpful and nice. He said the FF pump he recommended would have no problem drawing the fuel. My understanding is that the CAPS Injector P is sucking after 30 seconds anyway thru the original lift pump, so that is what I did. I replaced the original water separator filter with the FF Titanium setup, and have put about 9000 miles on it and it has done well. ( I just knocked on wood too) I know this is not what some people would do, but I figured FF knew what their pumps will do. Good luck no matter how You decide to do your project. MOMCAT

Thanks for the info. That all makes sense.

Tags
air, dog