Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbw6303 View Post
Under the old adage -- "if it aint broke, don't fix it" --- I would leave the lift pump wiring alone. That pump runs for 15-29 seconds at key on and then just sits there until the next time. all the while fuel is flowing around/through it to get to the injector pump. the 15-20 seconds that it runs will simply assist your Air dog pump for a brief time, but it won't get in the way when it;s just sitting there. By cutting and/or installing a jumper, you are trying to fool the ECM into thinking that the lift pump is there doing it;s thing even though you've disabled it. I installed a FASS system -- have 4000 miles on the install and didn't do anything to the lift pump. My 2 cents.
If you were using your own adage, you would have simply fixed your lift pump issue and not installed a Fass. No?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 05:52 AM   #100

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the responses will spend some more time looking, had hoped to avoid dropping the starter
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #101

My lift pump wasn't the issue. The problem, as with many of these rigs, is that Air is getting into the fuel flow. My solution was to install a FASS system (along with some other changes) My point here is that once you decide to install a positive pressure system like Air Dog or FASS, the original lift pump can just be left alone. Check out my post from about a year ago "ISC 8.3 stalls and heals overnight" -- or words to that effect. I got a lot of help from this forum. I'm just trying to share that experience.
lbw6303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #102

Some early isc caps engines the lift pump was mounted against the ecm to cool it my ecm is on passenger side below the caps and just forward of the caps
Old 01-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
. For me, I am installing an electric pump only and gauge for under $600+- rather than replace the lift pump with the same thing for $550+. Easy choice. I am only knowing and doing this because of your original thread. I almost have all my parts and will be installing it this week or next. I'll do a small write up with pictures.
I realize you are going to do a write up sometime, but I am curious, what pump did you decide to go with and what are you going to do with your original filters if anything?

The reason I ask, I have been pondering all this since last year, about a month before we bought our coach. My research before buying exposed these known issues. I was set to buy the titanium dual filter system and push from the front, but I have since started reconsidering. I had priced filters for both orig. and fass systems, fass is less money. I got to thinking, this fuel line is 20y old, at some point the line will deteriorate and contminate the system. Unless I still run through the secondary filter, any contamination is going in the CAPS pump, I don't want to maintain 3 filters, so now I am considering reloacating the primary filter to the fuel tank area before the push pump and run into the secondary at the engine, utilizing both original filters and a pump only from fass. Either that or replace all fuel lines with a nylon inner type fuel lines.
campnrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnrace View Post
I realize you are going to do a write up sometime, but I am curious, what pump did you decide to go with and what are you going to do with your original filters if anything?

The reason I ask, I have been pondering all this since last year, about a month before we bought our coach. My research before buying exposed these known issues. I was set to buy the titanium dual filter system and push from the front, but I have since started reconsidering. I had priced filters for both orig. and fass systems, fass is less money. I got to thinking, this fuel line is 20y old, at some point the line will deteriorate and contminate the system. Unless I still run through the secondary filter, any contamination is going in the CAPS pump, I don't want to maintain 3 filters, so now I am considering reloacating the primary filter to the fuel tank area before the push pump and run into the secondary at the engine, utilizing both original filters and a pump only from fass. Either that or replace all fuel lines with a nylon inner type fuel lines.
I am installing a universal AirDog raptor pump only. Going to hang it off the frame above my fuel tank. I removed the secondary filter off the engine and mounted it next to the primary filter on the frame rail using a 10AN female 180 union. I mounted a gauge on top of the secondary filter housing and ran the wires to the front into the coach and drilled a 2-1/8th hole in the dash for the gauge. I'll run the pump wires to a bosch type relay and will also have a on off switch for the pump on my dash. I already cut the hole in the dash for my rocker switch for that. I capped the lift pump with 2 10AN caps and ran the wires through a bosch relay as well, which I will mount in my battery bay. Almost done. I am doing another project at the same time so it is taking some time. Hope to mount the pump this weekend and then need to have 1 hose made up from the tank to the inlet side of the pump. Part of the time consumption is I installed 20 feet of 1 inch grey electrical conduit above the basement so I could run wires from the back to the front and vice versa. Before installing the conduit, I vacuumed 4 small pieces of strong string to "pull" wire through the 20ft of conduit and taped them off. Once installed, it's more time pulling each wire through the conduit. Too bad Monaco didn't install a conduit with pull strings in it from the factory:-) Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I will be doing a fass pump this spring.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the O-rings on the fuel line quick connect connectors?? This could well be a point for air to leak in. Our MH is getting long in the tooth and could these O-rings be getting hard??
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I will be doing a fass pump this spring.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the O-rings on the fuel line quick connect connectors?? This could well be a point for air to leak in. Our MH is getting long in the tooth and could these O-rings be getting hard??
Are you talking about the lines going in and out of the filter housing?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #107

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnrace View Post

Fwiw, I mounted our FASS Titanium dual filter system at the tank and push fuel thru the original FS1022 filter at the engine with no issues at all. Remember, the FASS primary filter is 144 micron, the secondary water separator filter is 10 micron, likely the same as your OEM fuel filter in the rear. There is no downside having triple fuel filtration and it makes for a clean and easy installation. In my opinion having a filter just before the Caps injector pump makes sense, especially with original fuel lines.
If the cost of replacing three fuel filters every 30k miles is a concern just get that out of your mind now lol.
In the grand scheme of DP preventative maintenance that's pretty cheap insurance.

Good luck with your fuel system upgrade!
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for the info fellas. I am leaning towards relocating the primary filter to the front and running a stand alone pump to the secondary filter. It looks like airdog may have a better warranty then fass, I guess I will have to call fass and see what their extended warranty is.The only concern I have is the possible noise of the airdog, typically a internal bypass pump is quite loud, maybe I'll wait for a report frome MM42, lol.
campnrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Fwiw, I mounted our FASS Titanium dual filter system at the tank and push fuel thru the original FS1022 filter at the engine with no issues at all. Remember, the FASS primary filter is 144 micron, the secondary water separator filter is 10 micron, likely the same as your OEM fuel filter in the rear. There is no downside having triple fuel filtration and it makes for a clean and easy installation. In my opinion having a filter just before the Caps injector pump makes sense, especially with original fuel lines.
If the cost of replacing three fuel filters every 30k miles is a concern just get that out of your mind now lol.
In the grand scheme of DP preventative maintenance that's pretty cheap insurance.

Wow, you go 30K between filter changes? I'm real anal on that and replace about every 6-8K miles:-) 30K miles for me would 5-6 years. LOL
Old 01-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #110

I'm I'm the process now I've mounted the fass pump with filters up at the fuel tank waiting for some fittings to finish up
Old 01-15-2021, 01:14 AM   #111

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Make sure to take/post pics when you install.

It will help the rest of us!
journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post

This is exactly how I'm planning my install.

I am looking to install the FASS in the fuel tank bay which will enable a short return line directly back into the tank. I will also have easy access from my front run panel for electrical run and mount my fuse and relay in the fuel bay.

I will connect a relay (control side) to the original lift pump circuit. I think I will try to build a short hose with the JIC fittings on it to route around or bypass the OEM lift pump.

I too would like to keep both of my filters at the rear of the coach which will probably over-filter the fuel but that's not a bad thing.

Lastly, I want to add EGT gauge and fuel pressure gauge in the cockpit as well as a liquid filled gauge directly at the outlet of the filter just prior to the CAPS pump to monitor filter health.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dog