Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #85

Frank, do you believe the claims that these systems also remove entrained air from the diesel fuel? I think that is a benefit I can’t easily replicate with a pure fuel pump

Dave
JDaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 12:16 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
When I originally read your post, I got under my coach (which runs fine) and could see the bottom of the pump slightly damp. For me, and many others, the choice is simple. For me, I am installing an electric pump only and gauge for under $600+- rather than replace the lift pump with the same thing for $550+. Easy choice.
I do admit that now that I have a few miles in the rearview mirror, I should have investigated a strange leak that I had. Two times while parked on a rather steep hill in front of my house, I had fluid under the coach when I left.

I smelled it, I rubbed it, I looked at it as closely as I could..... and decided it was.... truth is that I couldn't decide. My best guess is that it was oily water run-off. I was using my rose colored glasses and thinking there was a pocket of water in the frame somewhere that leaked out once I parked at such a steep grade. In hindsight I now know that was diesel coming out of a leaking lift pump gasket. I should have addressed it right away and that would have certainly been to start with the gasket -- and if that didn't fix it I probably would have been tempted by FASS and AirDogs gimmickery.

But -- I think when I really started digging into it I would have left the two filters in place, installed an electric pump and left the existing CAPS return system in place. See the next post for my quick napkin math DIY electric pump setup.
Fffrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #87

Alpine Owners Club
I think we can all agree the OEM lift pump was problematic, a royal pita to change out and now they are manufactured in China. That said, it leaves two choices when they leak, or in my case fail to operate and leak. Either replace the OEM pump and hope it's a once and done thing, still knowing the fuel delivery is under negative pressure and the slightest fuel filter restriction could send you walking, or install a constant duty fuel pump.
I chose one that improves filtration, separates air from fuel, provides positive fuel pressure and is QUALITY made in the USA all for about the same price as the problematic OEM pump.
These Improvements are far from gimmickry.
What you choose to do is up to you, but IMHO fuel delivery to the CAPS pump is not a place to cut corners. I'll eat a few more hamburgers and lay off the Ribeyes for a while if budget is a concern, but again, to each their own.

OK, some have asked how to mount a fuel pressure gauge onto the fuel filter housing. There are two choices of gauges you'll need. If running the FASS or Dog, buy a quality positive pressure gauge, 0-30psi. 1/8' NPT.
If running the OEM pump, buy a quality negative pressure gauge, 0-30 psi. 1/8" NPT. Both will require this adaptor for the FS1022 style fuel filter housing with the plug port on top, 10mm o ring fitting threads. And yes, this fitting comes with the o-ring. DO NOT throw the old port plug away in case the gauge ever springs a leak...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #88

I'd like to ask one more question in this thread.

We all are aware that when changing to a positive pressure pump, the electrical connection to the OEM lift pump needs to be disconnected and a resistance, like a simple relay, added to fool the ECM.

My question is this, if one installs the system so the OEM lift pump is by-passed with the fuel inlet/outlet lines, why not simply leave the OEM connection alone and let the pump run for it's short duration? Yes, it will be running dry, but that portion of the pump is not functional anyway.

Just a thought.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaveB View Post
Frank, do you believe the claims that these systems also remove entrained air from the diesel fuel? I think that is a benefit I can’t easily replicate with a pure fuel pump
Simple answer: no. How is air getting into your system in the first place?

This is a very interesting read that does validate that diesel fuel can contain air. but he also makes this statement:

Quote:
The proofthat air bubbles are air and not vapor is that they
appear when there is very little negative pressure
involved. They also do not disappear after being
pressurized by a lift pump, unless of course the
pressure is high enough to compress them beyond
the point of visibility (about 50 microns or less).
The CAPS system accounts for air in the system by providing a return at the top for both excess fuel pressure and/or to purge air from the system. In fact, when I replaced my CAPS pump I was SHOCKED at how quickly it purged all of the air from the system and started back up. I don't think I cranked it for more than 10 seconds before it was running. After spending almost a week convinced I had air in my injection lines as the primary issue -- this confirmed instantly that my CAPS pump was in fact the culprit.

Can the FASS/Airdog system circulate more fuel through their return system? Obviously. But for what purpose? It never reaches the CAPS system to provide additional cooling and in my mind, tumbling it back down your filler neck seems like a way to introduce more air (and not less!). Either way, it's likely so insignificant either way to be a complete non issue.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #90

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I'd like to ask one more question in this thread.

We all are aware that when changing to a positive pressure pump, the electrical connection to the OEM lift pump needs to be disconnected and a resistance, like a simple relay, added to fool the ECM.

My question is this, if one installs the system so the OEM lift pump is by-passed with the fuel inlet/outlet lines, why not simply leave the OEM connection alone and let the pump run for it's short duration? Yes, it will be running dry, but that portion of the pump is not functional anyway.

Just a thought.
Sure, why not? Mine failed electrically and threw a fault code 278? That's when I noticed hard starting and the lift pump seeping and upgraded the pump.
Or by clipping two wires, adding two spade connectors and the relay you'll never have to hear that miserable "thing" rattle again.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

Again, my research was limited and there may be something out there that is half the price, once all components are compared together. I understand your skepticism as well. If you know of pump/filter/connectors/hoses combinations that add up to a significant savings, that would be welcome information for all here.
Pump - $80 - Walbro 392 (85-90 gph @ 14psi)
Pump Fittings/Adapters - $15
Custom hose to bypass your previous lift pump - $40
Leave your existing filter heads in place - FREE
Use existing CAPS return - FREE

Total: $135

Try as I might, I can't think of a single thing this wouldn't do as well as the FASS system. But if you believe "polishing" and "radius cuts" and "silencing" are valuable: that's the beautiful thing about the free market. You've got choices!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
Pump - $80 - Walbro 392 (85-90 gph @ 14psi)
Pump Fittings/Adapters - $15
Custom hose to bypass your previous lift pump - $40
Leave your existing filter heads in place - FREE
Use existing CAPS return - FREE

Total: $135

Try as I might, I can't think of a single thing this wouldn't do as well as the FASS system. But if you believe "polishing" and "radius cuts" and "silencing" are valuable: that's the beautiful thing about the free market. You've got choices!
I don't think anyone would be comfortable putting that fuel pump on.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
I don't think anyone would be comfortable putting that fuel pump on.
Hahah -- it's not "sexy" but it's a very common pump for performance applications. I know it's used a lot in the pick-up world.

You can use a Holly Black if you prefer. They go for around $200 and are much prettier.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #94

Alpine Owners Club
Speaking of gimmeckry, look at these fabulous babys I forgot I had! Think what these could do for your toads. I'd probably let em go for only $129.95. (Obo jk)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210105_120755.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	313553   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210105_121100.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	313554  

04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 01-06-2021, 04:56 AM   #95

https://www.parker.com/literature/Ra...iesel_Fuel.pdf

Here is a link to the entire article from which you pulled the quote. The article is clear; air is entrained in diesel fuel, and a properly designed pump/filter system can substantially remove that air. The AirDog system is designed to do that - with air venting on the top of the filter housing and proper orifices

Dave
JDaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #96

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Working on a Airdog installation. Having difficulty locating the two wires from the lift pump that need to be cut. Does the starter need to be removed to access these wires. I have looked closely but can't see above starter or below lift pump. Am I missing something.

Thanks
mg2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:04 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2016 View Post
Working on a Airdog installation. Having difficulty locating the two wires from the lift pump that need to be cut. Does the starter need to be removed to access these wires. I have looked closely but can't see above starter or below lift pump. Am I missing something.

Thanks
In most circumstances removing the starter motor gives better access to the lift pump. Not the silver bullet of access but it helps as the area is tight.

The plug you are looking for will plug into the bottom of the lift pump. If you want to cut them further upstream you will need to locate a wiring schematic specific to your coach and Cummins engine.

Mike
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #98

Under the old adage -- "if it aint broke, don't fix it" --- I would leave the lift pump wiring alone. That pump runs for 15-29 seconds at key on and then just sits there until the next time. all the while fuel is flowing around/through it to get to the injector pump. the 15-20 seconds that it runs will simply assist your Air dog pump for a brief time, but it won't get in the way when it;s just sitting there. By cutting and/or installing a jumper, you are trying to fool the ECM into thinking that the lift pump is there doing it;s thing even though you've disabled it. I installed a FASS system -- have 4000 miles on the install and didn't do anything to the lift pump. My 2 cents.
lbw6303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dog