Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to pinacocacola
Unhappy CAPS Fuel Pump Bad 1999 Cummins 8.3L ISC

At 63K miles my Damon motorhome lost power on the interstate, only with enough momentum to make it up an onramp and out of traffic. There were no warning signs, noises or lights, just lost complete power. After an expensive tow in town just 11 miles, the friends at the Freightliner shop were explained to all of the symptoms, and the various items I checked including fuel separator and verifying that fuel is only seeping out of the lines. I asked for a diagnosis. Well 8 hours of diagnostics they ruled out voltage and the lift pump and told me they basically verified everything i told them from the start. They assume the CAPS is bad. $8100 ($4100 for CAPS and the rest for labor/parts/taxes) and a week and they can fix it.
Question is should i just tow it to a lot and put a used one on myself and sell the thing? I was told by many independent repair shops that this CAPS is a horrible system, they wouldnt touch it because of the failure rate that comes back to them. Apparently only Cummins direct will warranty both parts and labor. Its a bad situation to be in, I dont wish it on anyone else. My hunch from the start since it was so abrupt that it is electrical related with respect to something connected or controlling the pump. Experience?
pinacocacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #2

CAPS in 1993

A little confused here.

The ISC model Cummins did not come out until approx. 1999 yet your post says you have a 1993? Did you re-power your 1993 Damon?

[MOD EDIT] Year and Forum changed.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

Yep, that should have been the good old mechanical 8.3, a fine and KISS engine.

Was that a typo on the year?

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

On edit: Just noticed it was your first post! Welcome to IRV2. And keep answering questions, and others might be able to help you more. Might also ask the moderator to move this to the Cummins Section, some pretty sharp people on that section!
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would get a few other opinions on that. Those costs seem high to me. I had a miss in my engine at idle and then it slowly got worse and threw a code and derated. I shut it off and reset the code and it was fine. Long story short it was the caps pump and it was the top part of the pump called the rear pumping element. You cannot buy that part but you can buy the whole top end of the pump. There are electronics on that part of the pump. The cost was $1800.00 for parts and $600.00 for labor including the diagnostics. It is a bear of a job according to the mechanic but doable. This was a truck repair shop not Cummins.
Cummins should be able to do this job in the same amount of hours give or take the accessibility of the engine in your coach.
The Caps system is not one of the better fuel systems but there are thousands of them out there. I would really be looking hard at the lift pump because they are known to fail frequently.
Mine runs like a clock now.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to pinacocacola
You are all correct, the year is 1999. I'm not sure why the fat finger.
pinacocacola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, caps, crank, cummins, fuel, fuel pump, spartan, wont start