Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #1

Change oil intervals

I have an older (1990) CTA 8.3 Cummins in our DP. I am trying to determine just when to change the oil. I have heard that it should be changed after each 200 hours of operation. Also heard that it is supposed be changed at least once each year. Any thoughts on this?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My manual says 20k or annually, which ever comes first. It's still under warrranty, so I do what they say. After the warranty expires I might have it tested then decide when to change it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
I have an older (1990) CTA 8.3 Cummins in our DP. I am trying to determine just when to change the oil. I have heard that it should be changed after each 200 hours of operation. Also heard that it is supposed be changed at least once each year. Any thoughts on this?
MO Fred
I change my 28 quarts of engine oil and oil filter every 8,000-10,000 miles, (160-200hrs).
BTW, although it is recommend, I don't change mine every year if I don't log the miles.
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat, 136k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We did an Oil change on Our Cummins C 8.3. Shortly after buying it used with 46,000 Miles on the odometer! The records indicated that it had been serviced six months earlier and had not been driven more than 12 Miles. we. Drove it Home from Southern California to Vancouver Island using the existing oil.

An Oil analysis showed no problems .

We elected to continue using Dino Oil rather than switching to synthetic. we did add 1 Litre of Lucas Oil Treatment in place of 1 Litre of the 15-40 Chevron Oil.

Since then We have changed the Oil once each Year ,the average annual mileage is under 8000.

We have had no problems with the Engine ,no leaks,no excessive oil consumption.

Current mileage is 76,500 at the half way point on Our Current Winter trip to Mexico!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
My Cummins Engine Manual recommends every 6 months or 6,000 miles.

It also indicates that the interval can be extended if an oil analysis program is used.

If requested, the TBN of the oil can be measured during the oil analysis and will indicate the oil's ability to absorb contaminates from the engine operations.

Many large fleets use oil analysis to extend their service cycles.

The oil analysis will cost about $35. You will learn that in a healthy engine the oil will protect the engine for several years and much more than 6,000 miles.

In addition, the oil analysis will inform you of any unusual or unusual level of contaminants in the oil that might indicate future engine problems.

Or, you can change the oil based on the manual. I do the oil change myself and with the filter and oil it is about $75 (before the current price of oil decline).

Newer 8.3L Cummins engines using the same filters recommend 15,000 miles or one year, I think.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
For RV service I change oil and filters at 6,000 miles or yearly which ever comes first and have the analysis done.
Oil and filters are cheap.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Community Moderator

since i don't drive more than 10000 miles a year, i change oil at 1.5 year interval. last two oil analyses showed no issues. with a fumoto installed, changing oil is a blitz. 15w40 only.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I change all low annual mileage rides annually in my birthday month. Gas engines gets Mobil One synthetic. Diesel get Rotella T dino. Have done this for many years with virtually no engine problems encountered.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote