Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #1

Changing a Anti Freeze filter on a ISL 400

I have a 2003 vintage ISL with a side radiator. It has a smaller spin on filter located next to the oil filter. In looking at it, it looks like it has a shut off valve above it in the housing. Does this valve just turn. I tried turning it by hand and did not budge. Does it require a special tool? Does it turn one way or the other? I dont want to break it with a plyers or something?
HealeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2022, 01:09 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is actually a knob on both sides of the filter housing. Below are couple captions from Cummins Troubleshooting and Repair Manual for the knob.
If you sign into CumminsQuickserve with your engine serial #, you have access to to that and a lot of other info - engine diagrams etc.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

From another recent post, you probably need to put something into the "company" field.
The site is not the most user friendly I've ever seen but it does have a lot of info once you find it.

I assume you've checked the Owner's manual for coolant & SCA requirements for this engine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISL 400 Coolant Filter shutoff valve.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	381794  
Old 11-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #3

Thank you. While I did look it up on this website I did not find the image with the direction of turn. I have read they can get stuck and break as well.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #4

The website does not list a filter for the coolant. Not a very helpful site for this part.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:00 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My -04 HR Owner's manual says Fleetguard WF2071 (with Chemical Additive DCA4+).

There are several different filters available depending on the SCA concentration.

My manual also has the following:
NOTE: The correct filter is determined by the total cooling system capacity and oil drain interval.
Refer to the Coolant Capacity Specifications in this section.

CAUTION: Insufficient concentration of the coolant additives will result in cylinder liner pitting and engine failure. The SCA concentration must not fall below 1.2 units or exceed 3 units per gallon of cooling system capacity.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #6

The correct filter depends on:

What type of coolant-- if one of the newer generation OAT based/long life coolants, a FILTER BLANK is correct. A filter blank has same filtration, but zero added SCA.

If old style (usually green) "Low silicate for diesel with added SCA" coolant, you need to test the SCA concentration and that will determine which filter you need (they come with different amounts of SCA.

But, an important question-- how old is your coolant, and what chemistry. Coolant changes are often neglected, and on a linered engine like the ISL, can cause major damage.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyBob View Post
I have a 2003 vintage ISL with a side radiator. It has a smaller spin on filter located next to the oil filter. In looking at it, it looks like it has a shut off valve above it in the housing. Does this valve just turn. I tried turning it by hand and did not budge. Does it require a special tool? Does it turn one way or the other? I dont want to break it with a plyers or something?

Best result for me has been a simple crescent wrench.

Turn the valve clockwise to the closed position.

After changing the filter, turn the valve counter clockwise to the open position.

Use Cummins test strips to determine your present SCA levels. If below 1.2 you may want to consider a filter stronger than the WF2071 and/or use liquid DCA 4 Supplemental Coolant Additive available from Cummins/Fleetguard.

If SCA level is greater than 3.0 then a blank filter is in order.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:46 AM   #8

I used the blue antifreeze which says it is a ELC coolant. Do I need any additives for this coolant. It is brand new. Removed the old, flushed the system with distilled water and added 12 gallons of new. I would use a blank filter with no additive correct?
HealeyBob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyBob60 View Post
I used the blue antifreeze which says it is a ELC coolant. Do I need any additives for this coolant. It is brand new. Removed the old, flushed the system with distilled water and added 12 gallons of new. I would use a blank filter with no additive correct?

Very likely.

But so you/we are not guessing, exactly what brand and product did you use?
Old 12-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #10

Fleetguard ES Compleat 50/50. The filter I bought is a WF2074. It has a DCA4 additive which the cummins website says is compatible with this Anti Freeze. It is a ELC 1,000,000 mile Coolant. It says to check the SCA levels after 150,000 miles. I think I should be good?https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/...c2825?store=US
Old 12-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #11

That filter shows to have 12 units of DCA 4.

With your new coolant, you need a filter BLANK (filter with zero SCA/DCA).
Old 12-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #12

Hmm... any idea how I find one of those? Thank you
Old 12-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyBob60 View Post
Hmm... any idea how I find one of those? Thank you

Most places that sell coolant filters have them. They look just like the ones with SCA, but no SCA content.

So, try any place that caters to OTR trucks, a NAPA, etc.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #14

It looks like a WF-2084? Says None

Tags
free