Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Check engine and stop engine light.

I very recently purchased a diesel pusher with a Cumming engine. It did sit for about 1 year. The stop engine light came on and then in about 10 min it went off. Then it came back on with the check engine light. This was at 50+ mph. When I slowed down to about 35 mph both lights went out. All gauges were normal. Can bad fuel be a possible cause for this? Thanks.
bob7889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7889 View Post
I very recently purchased a diesel pusher with a Cumming engine. It did sit for about 1 year. The stop engine light came on and then in about 10 min it went off. Then it came back on with the check engine light. This was at 50+ mph. When I slowed down to about 35 mph both lights went out. All gauges were normal. Can bad fuel be a possible cause for this? Thanks.
Yes, bad fuel or clogged fuel filters. When was the last time the fuel filters were changed?

Those same lights can illuminate for other issues as well, such as excessive crank case pressure. I'd suggest a shop do some code checking asap. Anytime the "Stop Engine" light comes ON, that is a sign the computer senses something serious.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fuel filter was probably changed well over a year ago.
bob7889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #4

Find out how to reset the codes. Maybe they won't come back on. That cleared me up.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
Find out how to reset the codes. Maybe they won't come back on. That cleared me up.
I called a local cumming service center. They told me to bring it in, no appt. necessary, and they will get my codes. They told me they charge $144 an hr. plus parts. I am planning to take it in to at least get coded.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would definitely change the fuel filters. This might clear your warning lights.

But it's not a bad idea to take your coach in to have codes checked, I'd to the transmission also. Shouldn't take too long.

When I first bought our coach back in 2008 I took it the local Cummins shop for a complete service and code check. This gave me a baseline moving forward. I knew the shop manager and when they were done he personally went over the info and said I had a clean bill of health and that I had gotten a heck of deal. Peace of mind goes a long way!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #7

Hey Bob, can you please tell us what was the calls of the stock engine light? Thank you
Old 10-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Would also add Killem. Would suspect that some algi (bacteria) has grown in the tank, especially if the year was in a warm climate. Stanley

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Yes, bad fuel or clogged fuel filters. When was the last time the fuel filters were changed?

Those same lights can illuminate for other issues as well, such as excessive crank case pressure. I'd suggest a shop do some code checking asap. Anytime the "Stop Engine" light comes ON, that is a sign the computer senses something serious.
The check engine and stop engine light came on on my 2006 Monaco Cayman, (Purchased new in 06) any way in the owners manual it tells you how to retrieve engine fault codes.

The procedure is very easy to follow. If you can't find the procedure in your owners manual, let me know and i'll print it out and post it to you in this forum.
Good Luck

Joep Smoke'n Diesel
2006, 37" Monaco Cayman DP
Cummins, ISB 300HP Low Torque
5.9L/359 Cu. In.
Chrome Exhaust Tip-Engine (LOL)
Joephome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light