Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check Engine Light 2004 Sporstcoach 354MBS

Recent trip I keep getting check engine light. Scan Gauge code is
ID 2003 FM 15 CNT 127. Light would come on while driving highway speeds ascending hills then would go off after few seconds. Freightliner XC Chassis, Cummins Engine ISB 5.9L 300 Turbo. Can someone tell me what this code means?
coachmen2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sold my ScanGauge for this reason. No decipherable codes.
Cummins dealer will read your codes no charge. I purchased an inLine Mini from them for code and diagnostics. Heard you can get cheaper ones that will also read. There are threads on this site if interested that discuss it.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the response, already have appointment next week with Cummins. Was hoping to get a sense of potential issue in advance. I agree that the ScanGauge is not very useful device. I spent hours trying various sites to decipher this code, with no luck. Click image for larger version

Name:	58223795809__BF1ECA16-E63C-4D5C-B99F-0AC7668B1EB0.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	250404
alstond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Call ScanGauge with the code you have and have them decipher it. I have to do the same thing when I get a code on my Silverleaf.

ScanGauge has the Cummins codes but Cummins will not allow ScanGauge to use them in their product so they have to come up with their own. Easy crossover, just call.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

For what it's worth, do you Always allow the WAIT light to time out prior to starting? Even when the engine is warm after a short stop?
If not, an error will reside in the ECM and eventually cause a CEL.
Be conscious of this at every start and you will most likely reduce the number of CELs.
I used to own an old Dutchstar and was plagued with this until I changed my starting habits.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for reply, I will give them a call.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes I always allow the WAIT light to time out prior to starting. I just call ScanGauge nice lady on phone however she was not sure what the ID 2003 represent. Gave her email address she promised to respond back after consulting with other technicians.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstond78 View Post
Yes I always allow the WAIT light to time out prior to starting. I just call ScanGauge nice lady on phone however she was not sure what the ID 2003 represent. Gave her email address she promised to respond back after consulting with other technicians.
The other thing that is common on these old buses is an electrical fault such as loose connection in the engine system. Failing alternator is another one.
Chances are that if you have Cummins check for codes in the ECM there may not be any showing. A sign of an intermittent electrical fault. These can be a bear to find.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m hoping it’s something they can easily detect and fix. Hopefully the ScanGauge lady will contact me soon so Ill know where to start.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #10

Hi Coachmen2004 & Alstond78; There are a couple of sources to check. If you have not done this yet, go to the Cummin's Quick Serve site and register your engine on that site. You need your engine serial number and a couple of minutes to set up an account. You get parts lists for your engine and if I remember correct, an access to your engine diagnostic codes. You can also go to the Cummin's web site and use their help and tech. line that is toll free. I have used the tech. line once and the people on the other end of the line were very helpful. I had a diagnostic code from my Silver Leaf that did identify the failed part but could not locate the part on my ISC. Had to go to a Level 2 technician and with a lot of searching came close to the area where the bad part was located. Doing this Cummin's discovered that on their location charts for my ISC that the part that was bad was not listed. Showed on an ISL but not on an ISC. So don't hesitate to give Cummin's a call. They saved me about $550. Not bad for just a phone call. Hope you find this info useful!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for that will give Cummins Quick Serve a shot.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I signed up for the Cummins Quick Serve site. Very informative and does provide access to engine diagnostic codes however still not finding the code I need. I guess the ScanGauge really not useful. I put in ticket with Cummins hopefully I’ll get a quick response. If not calling next. Thank for the information
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Folks just spoke with Cummins gave them the ScanGauge code and explained situation when CEL comes on. Nothing in their system cross reference the ScanGauge code. Cummins believes the FM 15 could be low coolant sensor, but coach temperature stays within the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Looks like I’m just going to take it in for service. Thank you all for responding and I will give you update after service call.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstond78 View Post
Folks just spoke with Cummins gave them the ScanGauge code and explained situation when CEL comes on. Nothing in their system cross reference the ScanGauge code. Cummins believes the FM 15 could be low coolant sensor, but coach temperature stays within the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Looks like I’m just going to take it in for service. Thank you all for responding and I will give you update after service call.
There is a low coolant level switch in the end of the expansion tank. If the coolant is low in this tank the CEL will come on to alert you of the low level. But, until the coolant level drops far below the expansion tank such that there is insufficient coolant flow thru the engine, you will not see high temperature.
Point is, you could be low on coolant. Have you looked at the level?

Tags
check engine light, engine, light