Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Check engine light

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Revolution 40C with the Cummins ISC 24V engine

Today I traveled about 200 miles and 3 times the check engine light came on for 1-3 minutes then went off. Each time it went into low power mode. Each time it came on was when I was I traffic at a slow speed. It ran fine at high speed.

Does the computer store a OBD code each time that can be accessed later when the check engine light is off?
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Yes, diagnostic codes are stored. If your not able to retrieve them best option is to take it to a Cummins Engine dealer for diagnostic's.

Have you checked coolant level? Even if coolant temperature was ok, low coolant can cause shutdown/power derate.

Also look at engine surpentine belt and tensioner, this can allow coolant pump to slip causing high temp.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the same issue with my Pace Arrow gas. Turned out that the engine battery was weak and the computer was not seeing 13.7 volts. I found that out after the coach finally went into full shut down and had to be towed.

This may not be your problem, but I thought I would pass it along.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Ront77
Did this happen after a "hard" pull. You definitely need to check your fuel filters. You probably have a "CAPS" injection pump in your motorhome. If your fuel is restricted very much you are going to trash your high pressure injection pump. Very expensive. Look for threads concerning "CAPS" failures and read them. I don't want to scare you but it may very well save you big bucks later. Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring
Don & Susan
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

There are likely a few hundred reasons for a CEL on this engine. I have gone around the horn with this issue for years. First thing I would do is get a Cummins shop to check for codes. Don't be surprised if none show but that will tell you it's most likely a voltage related issue causing an intermittent fault that does not log on the ECM.
If there is a code, it should point you to the problem.

Low coolant is one that will cause a CEL. Low alternator output is another. Poor ground connections at the chassis batteries. And the list goes on.
One thing that helped mine was making sure to let the WAIT light clear before starting. I've found the CEL occurrences have dropped from nearly every trip to once in a blue moon since I began paying attention to the WAIT light.

Good Luck,
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #6

I checked the coolant level and all is fine. Belts are also good.
Today I changed the fuel filters as a precaution.

The primary filter did have some black junk in it. But, that is fairly normal for my rig. That's why I added the primary filter before the lift pump.

Normally when my filters get dirty the engine will run erratically when starting from a stop. It did not do that this time.

I'll be returning home on Saturday, I'll report back after the home trip.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #7

Mine did that shortly after an oil change. They left it 4 qts low.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

FOLLOW UP

Yesterday I drove the 200 miles back home with no Check Engine Light displayed.

Hopefully, the new fuel filters cured the problem. In the past, dirty filters have not caused the CEL just rough running.
I seem to be getting some dark slimy material in my primary filter. Algae in fuel tank?
This is why I always carry extra filters. I always store my MH indoors with a full or nearly full tank.

FYI. We were at the First Monday show in Canton, Texas until about noon Saturday then headed home. The Tornados move in a few hours later. WHEWWW!

Tags
check engine light, engine, light