Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2020, 09:39 PM   #1

Check Engine Light

Today I got a check engine light indication twice. The engine was running all day. When we got to the campground I interegated the computer to retrieve the codes, and the result was 0 Active codes.

Usually I will get an SPN code.

Any insight as to why I got this result.

Tks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #2

Without dealer level software or more advanced readers you can only retrieve active faults. Once the light is off the code is inactive and the fault is cleared.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Without dealer level software or more advanced readers you can only retrieve active faults. Once the light is off the code is inactive and the fault is cleared.
Agreed that is correct. Cummins shop can read for you...I think for free. At least they have for me in the past before I bought my In-Line Mini.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check your windshield washer fluid level.
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #5

There are Pending, Active and Historic faults.

You need the latter. Or drive until it happens again if you scan tool only displays Active. Maybe your scan tool can show Pending...so you can catch it the first time it acts up.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

My display will only pull active codes, and I have to pull them before I turn the engine off.

Yesterday I got 2 codes after I got on I10 in FT Stockton, TX.

SPN 103 FMI 18
SPN 102 FMI 2

Lost all power and pulled to shoulder, engine running real rough. Turned off for
a few minutes, restarted, sounded good so resumed. About 1 mile later same thing,
managed to exit I10 and pull into a large turnaround area near a ranch gate.

Accessed engine thru the bed hatch and found the 2 wires coming from a sensor on top of the turbo had fallen against the turbo and melted.

I cut out the melted section and butt spliced about 9 inches of new wire. Zip tied the bundle and engine ran normal till we parked for the nite in Van Horne, TX. A short while after we resumed the check engine light on the dash went out.

I will recheck everything when we get to Las Cruces, NM before replacing everything under the bed.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Always leave the engine running when you GET an active code. Especially Cummins.
Once you shut it down, it becomes a History Code.
If you restart and No Code, then it is stored but you cannot read it.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light