RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #1

CM870 ISX600 - New Heads available?

One of those times where you're hearing bits and pieces of a conversation, and then end up wondering if what you heard is what you heard!

Three RV'er's talking close enough for me to hear good parts of the conversation. One gent said he'd called Cummins with the Serial of his ISX600. (Believe he said it was an early 2006 engine build.) And that Cummins said that they did not have revised heads for the ISX600. A second gent was suggesting he look into Aftermarket Head Builders, as he said they had ISX600 heads with improved alloys (Could not tell if he meant the heads or the valves...). The third RV owner, was facing away from me, and said perhaps the difference was between the CM870 and CM871?

As I was reflecting on the conversation. I thought I remembered reading that Cummins had revised heads/valves for both the ISX600 and ISX650? Got me wondering if maybe the third RV owner was correct, and their dependent upon which CM build the engine has(?).

I ask, as a gent in San Diego is considering a coach with a 2006 engine ISX600. And I frankly admit that this conversation taught me, after all of the posts on ISX's, I was unclear on what Cummins did, or did not have, in regards to redesigned/improved heads. He's trying to determine a good price point, especially if he might go ahead at purchase and have Cummins swap out the head's (He was thinking it was about $15K for the materials and labor.). (He's called the owner to ask for the Engine Serial Number, and is going to call Cummins to see what they can tell him. But the owner of the coach said it would be over the weekend before he could get out to storage and get the engine Serial.)

TIA for any info sharing on this (And yeah, I did ISX search... But nothing jumped out at me on which ISX's had new revised head's available from Cummins.)

Heck lots of ISX's:

CM870
CM871

Within the era of potential Drop Valve issues... And I believe some ISX's had Ceramic Plunger's that would break apart and wreck havoc too... (Trucker's sites talk about that. But most in the higher mileage range then most RV's will ever see...).

Enough rambling, TIA for any clarification thoughts,
Smitty

The

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
CM870 600 HP has very few valve issues. It is a completely different design than the CM871 due to the 2007 emission changes. I should have 100,000 miles on my CM870 by the years end, no internal problem to date.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
CM870 600 HP has very few valve issues. It is a completely different design than the CM871 due to the 2007 emission changes. I should have 100,000 miles on my CM870 by the years end, no internal problem to date.

Yep, that's my basic understand too. he CM870's have a much lower failure rate then the CM871's. But as I understand it, the ISX525 & ISX600 - both have had coach owner's that reported dropping a valve.

So the thought process was to proactively go have the new and improved heads installed prior to failure. If it is in the $15K range for parts and labor to do that, if the improved heads are available, that is not that much of a cost in the scheme of things. Amortized over say 10 years of ownership. And a heck of a lot less expensive then if a failure takes out an engine. Sort of like up front insurance! (At least, that was the idea...).

I was just trying to validate if they have the new redesigned heads. Pretty sure I read it in one of the various threads on many of the boards, that they do. The gent looking, was going to call and ask Cummins directly. But he has not made contact with me a in a few days, so suspect they stopped in a remote location for awhile!

Best to you. And hope your ISX600 runs, and runs, and runs!
Smitty