Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

coolant for a 2002 isl 370

Does this look like the right stuff as long as I make sure I use the correct amount of SCA's..

my cummins maintenance manual says use a low silicate antifreeze that meets ASTM 4985 which is listed below. (maybe I answered my own question.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

ANTIFREEZE/
COOLANT (Conventional)
Product Description
ShellzoneAntifreeze is a high quality, single phase, ethylene glycol based antifreeze. It is a low silicate, all-purpose coolant designed for use in both automotive and heavy duty diesel engines (with the use of SCA’s). ShellzoneAntifreeze Prediluted 50/50 is a 50/50 volume mixture of ShellzoneAntifreeze with deionized water.
Applications
ShellzoneAntifreeze is specially formulated to meet the stringent aluminum corrosion protection requirements of today’s automotive engines. Because of its low concentration of silicate, it also complies with Cummins and other heavy-duty diesel engine manufacturer’s silicate requirements. This product is also suitable for use in industrial internal combustion engines where an antifreeze/coolant is required to provide protection against freezing, boil over, and corrosion.
Features and Benefits
ShellzoneAntifreeze provides the following qualities:
• universal formula for both automotive and heavy duty diesel engines (ASTM D 3306 and ASTM D 4985)
• excellent heat transfer properties
• excellent anti-foam characteristics
• excellent corrosion protection for aluminum, brass, copper, solder, steel and cast iron
• low silicate formulation
• nitrite-free, amine-free and borax-free
• concentrate mixes readily with clean tap water
• pre-diluted product is ready to use and requires no mixing for top-up and initial fill
• compatible with cooling system filters
• compatible with heavy duty diesel supplemental coolant additives
• compatible with conventional brands of coolant
• 100% biodegradable in its pure unused form
Approvals and Recommendations
ShellzoneAntifreeze meets:
• ASTM D 3306 for automotive service
• ASTM D 4985 for heavy duty diesel service
ShellzoneAntifreeze Prediluted 50/50 meets:
• ASTM D 4656 for pre-blend automotive service
• ASTM D 5345 for pre-blend heavy duty diesel service
ShellzoneAntifreeze meets or exceeds the requirements of the following specifications: (It should be noted that many heavy-duty diesel manufacturers are changing their requirements to simply require ASTM D 4985)
• AAMVA

• Freightliner

• General Motors GM1825M

• General Motors GM1899M

• ASTM D 3306 incl. D 4340
(Performance corresponding to GM6038M)
• ASTM D 4985

• J.I. Case JIC501

• Chrysler MS-7170

• John Deere H24B1

• Cummins 90T8-4

• John Deere H24C1

• Federal Specification A-A-870

• PACCAR

• Ford ESE-M97B44-A

• SAE J1034

• Mack Truck

• TMC of ATA RP-302A
badtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
You could save our self a lot of boiler plate if you simply went to Cummins and purchased what ever they recommend (My Opinion) .
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

Ken,

Your Cummins information is out of date. Cummins quit specifying low silicate-only antifreeze some years before that. The current Cummins specification for all Cummins engines except the ISB and earlier B series is to use a "fully formulated coolant". This means that it is not only low in silicate inhibitors but also contains vitally needed liner pitting protection chemistry that your engine requires. Shellzone does meet the ASTM D4985 low silicate spec. But it does not contain the additional additives needed to guard against pitting damage. I am guessing that this MH may be new to you but previously owned. What did the former owner use for coolant?

The safest and easiest thing for you to do is to drain your system and refill with a premixed coolant meeting the current Cummins requirements.

Here are some coolants you should be able to find easily that will be very suitable. Cummins does not approve of any coolant except that made by the Cummins division known as Cummins Filtration. CF manufactures ES Compleat EG Premix, ES Compleat OAT premix, Fleetcool EX Premix as well as ES Compleat PG Premix. Within their product line, the most robust formulation and value for the price is ES Compleat EG Premix. With this coolant you will need to periodically add a coolant additive to boost the declining precharge of the very necessary liner pitting protection. You may wish to consider the ES Compeat OAT Premix. It has an organic inhibitor package that needs reinhibiting only once per 300,000 miles. So, I guess you will never need to do that if you go this route. There is no testing with this coolant but you MUST be absolutely certain that you only replace low coolant levels with only this brand. The same can be said for any of the competitor nitrite-free OAT coolants such as Old World Final Charge, Shell Ultra, Chevron Delo Nitrite-Free OAT. Since each of these nitrite-free OAT coolants use different organic acid inhibitors in different combinations, do not mix these brands when refilling low coolant levels. None of these will need to be tested like the first one I mentioned, ES Compleat EG Premix, etc.

Most of these 2nd generation of OAT coolants are much more expensive than previous coolants like Shell Rotell ELC or even the Fleetguard ES Compleat products or Fleet Charge. If you are looking for simple to do and to be protected adequately use the nitrite free coolants listed above. Stay away from Shell Rotella ELC and Chevron Delo ELC or Caterpillar ELC coolants. These contain an organic inhibitor that has been proven to cause damage to some Cummin engine models and all silicon rubber coolant hose.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Spike,
Always enjoy your notes, so I now have a question concerning the antifreeze coolants, my 2001 ISM in my Foretravel Coach, has decals saying to use the Shell ELC, when I was at the Cummins Atlantic shop in Richmond va, for service, I asked if I needed to change or use a additive, they did not think it was needed. Have 95 K miles on the ISM, and so far, zero issues of any kind.
Just asking for your opinion.
Thanks
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Spike,
Always enjoy your notes, so I now have a question concerning the antifreeze coolants, my 2001 ISM in my Foretravel Coach, has decals saying to use the Shell ELC, when I was at the Cummins Atlantic shop in Richmond va, for service, I asked if I needed to change or use a additive, they did not think it was needed. Have 95 K miles on the ISM, and so far, zero issues of any kind.
Just asking for your opinion.
Thanks
Dave M
Dave,

If you have been using the Shell Rotella ELC all this time, there is no need to do anything else. When the chassis was built, the OEM put a charge of silicate fluid into the cooling system then filled with the ELC. That should do it until you decide to drop that coolant and do it again with new.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Spike, thanks for all the information, it seems like the more I read the more confusing things get. I am going to cummins west tomorrow with a sample of my coolant so they can test it, but I think I'll probably end up just changing it all to the new OAT type just for the piece of mind. Country coach says between 20 and 24 gallons.

Ken
badtip is offline   Reply With Quote