Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coolant leak head gasket

I have been replacing coolant for several month now and finally found the leak at base of head under thermostat housing. this is apparently a very common leak problem and will require removal of the head to replace the gasket. I still have one more round trip to make FL to NJ and back to FL. What thoughts about head gasket sealant?? for a temp fix. My God - it seems I have replaced almost everything on this MH engine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #2

What engine? What year built?
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
What engine? What year built?
I believe all that and more is in the signature
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I have been replacing coolant for several month now and finally found the leak at base of head under thermostat housing. this is apparently a very common leak problem and will require removal of the head to replace the gasket. I still have one more round trip to make FL to NJ and back to FL. What thoughts about head gasket sealant?? for a temp fix. My God - it seems I have replaced almost everything on this MH engine.
I am not a fan of the additives. But I have heard some good comments about Bar's leak. On the outher hand how far have you driven with it leadling already? How far is this next trip? Is gitt geting worse?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I am not a fan of the additives. But I have heard some good comments about Bar's leak. On the outher hand how far have you driven with it leadling already? How far is this next trip? Is gitt geting worse?
Bill
I has been about 5K miles since I noticed fluid loss. OUr next trip to NJ and back will be about 2400 miles. I keep replacing fluid at about a half gallon every 500 miles.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I am not a fan of the additives. But I have heard some good comments about Bar's leak.
Bars is a product I've used in the past. It does work as well as one could hope for an additive. Certainly not a permanent fix, but good for a short term solution.

However, if you use it carefully monitor levels and temps!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
i have not used it but was told its the best its blue devel saw it at o rillys
auto parts very pricey about $ 60 but comes with a money back
if it does not fix it. parts guy said they sell a lot and has not anyone
complain check it out on you tube if you do try it report back
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
If your Leak is in fact a Head Gasket it will only get worse not better !
Do not use your Pac Break or Engine break at all- Cylinder Pressure will be stressed, If your burning it in the Cylinder your gonna have more expensive issues to deal with .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #9

I be looking into selling a 99 long before I'd invest money in it for a head gasket...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #10

External leaks are easier to fix with HD high quality additives for cooling system. I would suggest because it is a external to try a good additive. Do need to watch coolant level and engine temp. till you know it's a problem any more. Head gasket could be up to 2 or 3 grand.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #11

If it's an external leak you can leave the radiator cap on the first notch and this will not pressurize the system and not cause the leak. The radiator cap being pressurized just raises the boiling temperature of the antifreeze. On the first click of the cap it will not leak at the filler. I had to do this on my C7 Cat Journey when the expansion tank sprung a leak. Old wrench trick.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I believe all that and more is in the signature
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
Sorry. Don't see that information in the app version of irv2 without clicking on your icon so I forget it is there.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:54 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Sorry. Don't see that information in the app version of irv2 without clicking on your icon so I forget it is there.
roger on the APP
Old 08-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
If your Leak is in fact a Head Gasket it will only get worse not better !
Do not use your Pac Break or Engine break at all- Cylinder Pressure will be stressed, If your burning it in the Cylinder your gonna have more expensive issues to deal with .
This is an external leak. I put a rubber glove over the radiator neck to check for cylinder pressure backing into coolant and found no pressure. If there was back pressure coming in the glove would fill with air.

"RayJr If it's an external leak you can leave the radiator cap on the first notch and this will not pressurize the system and not cause the leak. The radiator cap being pressurized just raises the boiling temperature of the antifreeze. On the first click of the cap it will not leak at the filler.

I was thinking of doing that to reduce the pressure.

"External leaks are easier to fix with HD high quality additives for cooling system. I would suggest because it is a external to try a good additive. Do need to watch coolant level and engine temp. till you know it's a problem any more. Head gasket could be up to 2 or 3 grand"
I may put in firberlock as a temp fix but will replace the gasket my self as my winter project. Selling it for the cost of repair part is out of the question.

Tags
leak, gas