Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #1

Coolant pump...AKA water pump

So has anyone had issues getting the right parts for there 8.3, im out in Ukaih Ca and I gave the parts house the ESN and after a week of waiting the parts came in. When I took out the old one I found the new one didn't match, now im sure in 19 years that Cummins may have made some changes to the original model but with this was one there were several changes that made me believe it was the wrong part, so I took it back and now they are waiting for a Cummins rep to return there call.
I had a issue locally trying to find a correct tensioner when I was replacing the belt, so I "assume" motorhome parts have there own "special" listings that don't apply to other applications.
This whole job has snowballed in parts issues in that this original reason for disassembly is because the original radiator sprung a leak and I thought I could get the radiator repaired. Well because the radiator is all Aluminum the tech declared he can't fix it cause it has electrolysis. So after making several calls trying to find one, I discovered Jim in Oregon working at a place called Source, he knew exactly what model I needed.
Unfortunately the parts tech im dealing with does not work for Cummins so he's getting the information 3rd hand and has no insider information unless I ask him to find out, which is a process in of itself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Have you looked up your water pump or belt tensioner on Cummins Quick Serve or the Cummins.com parts lookup?
The water pump has changed a lot from what I've read, mine is still the original, so no personal experience. I think the impeller has been made larger and of sturdier material.
The belt tensioner is very specific due to the requirement the belt must be in line on all pulleys and idlers or it will quickly ruin the tiny Vees on the belt.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:43 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2235.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	329564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2236.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	329565

You can see the difference between my 2003 and now for my ISL water pump. Much bigger bearing, casting, and greatly improved impeller. The Cummins site will give you the updated part for your serial number. No need to ask someone that doesn’t know. The tensioner was improved as well. You will find they bolt right up. Good luck on your update.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:47 PM   #4

Changes on pump

Yes your two pumps are what i have, later on this afternoon i got the phone call stating the new pump has been ipdated several times and that in fact this bigger one is the latest and greatest. Im doing the t-stat an the block heater plus i removed the alternator (original) took it to town and had it rebuilt, along with replacing my broken fan and upper an lower hoses... ONLY cause gettin to this stuff while the radiator is out is sooooooo much easier than on the side of the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
Attachment 329564Attachment 329565

You can see the difference between my 2003 and now for my ISL water pump. Much bigger bearing, casting, and greatly improved impeller. The Cummins site will give you the updated part for your serial number. No need to ask someone that doesn’t know. The tensioner was improved as well. You will find they bolt right up. Good luck on your update.
rikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I did all you mentioned on mine last year as well. I also updated the antifreeze to Fleetgard OAT and added shutoff valves for the chassis heater core at the engine. Having an older (2003) coach, I wanted to be sure I could close it off if a leak developed. It also eliminated any heat transfer during the summer AC months. One is installed on the heater line as it comes off the water pump just inside the frame rail. The other is at the back of the engine on the return line from the core to the back of the engine block. It s very easy to do when you have the coolant drained.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	329598
Old 05-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #6

Great idea

Hello Bruce, ya know i forgot all about doing something like that, i remember when i was working as a mechanic before i retired, all the school busses an people mover vans had those. I dont think i ever saw on leak an a great way to control the inside heaters. So where did you get the nipple portion for the hoses?
Im replacing the upper an lower radiator hoses however cause the heater hoses still feel plyable plus the amount of work needed to get to all the hoses at this time is more than i want to challange at this time.
Thanks for the great idea👍
Old 05-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #7

Hose size

Hey Bruce, because im 120 miles from the coach right now were both those hose sizes 5/8 or 3/4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
I did all you mentioned on mine last year as well. I also updated the antifreeze to Fleetgard OAT and added shutoff valves for the chassis heater core at the engine. Having an older (2003) coach, I wanted to be sure I could close it off if a leak developed. It also eliminated any heat transfer during the summer AC months. One is installed on the heater line as it comes off the water pump just inside the frame rail. The other is at the back of the engine on the return line from the core to the back of the engine block. It s very easy to do when you have the coolant drained.

Attachment 329598
Old 05-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Give me a call on my cell and we can go over your questions. 630 240-2252.
Bruce
Old 06-06-2021, 10:10 PM   #9

job is DONE!!!

Wanted to say thanks to everyone in responding to my issue. I ended up replacing the radiator, water pump, t-stat, hoses, coolant block heater, hoses, fan, tensioner, had the alternator rebuilt, replace the filter for the power steering. I also cut a 4 inch hole in the bottom of the shroud and covered it with a piece of sheetmetal and screws so I will be able to clean out the area, then I took the advice about installing two shut off valves going to the heater. The job ended up going way over time cause of issues like covid, personnel shortages, suspect wrong parts (turned out just upgraded several times)
my coach is a 2003 HR Endeavor, rear radiator anyone wanting to replace there radiator you can send me a note and I will fill you in.

Tags
pump, water, water pump