Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Crankcase Breather Filter?

Hello Gents, 2003 400ISL trying to figure out where the breather filter is? She's pushing out a little earl so I'm thinking change that booger first. Any help is moocho preciated. I found this image in another thread but mine doesn't have this, just the valve cover and that's all.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #2
TR4

Mine is on drivers side next to the oil filter, just follow the slobber tube up. If itís pushing oil out the slobber tube, you might be over filling the oil. On the next oil change, check and recalibrate dipstick if needed.

Bill
Old 05-20-2021, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Mine is on drivers side next to the oil filter, just follow the slobber tube up. If itís pushing oil out the slobber tube, you might be over filling the oil. On the next oil change, check and recalibrate dipstick if needed.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I look over there. I have an inordinate amount of sludgy oily goop at the front (transmission end) of the engine near the top left (drivers)side. Not sure its source, but while looking around today I think I saw a hose (drivers side in the rear of the RV) lying down low not connected to anything. I didn't have time to really dig in so as a result, I'm gathering ideas. Particularly interesting is the fact there is no where to put the really nice engine crankcase breather filter I bought for $80 from Amazon except over to Kohls for my money back.

So this weekend I plan on cleaning the oily sludge and trying figure out from where does it come?
Old 05-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #4

FWIW my 1999 Cummins ISC engine does not have a filter on the breather tube, only a screen, that filter came along in later years. Do you have the Cummins engine owners manual that came with your MH? Typical Cummins engine component locations as of 11/05/2010

Big Nick the engine is mounted backwards to the chassis, the front of the engine is at the very back of the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #5
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick1 View Post
I think I saw a hose (drivers side in the rear of the RV) lying down low not connected.
Thatís probably the slobber tube (crankcase vent)

I had a lot of oil on the bell housing, turned out to be a leak between the head and compression brake spacer housing (they use RTV).

Bill
Old 05-21-2021, 12:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW my 1999 Cummins ISC engine does not have a filter on the breather tube, only a screen, that filter came along in later years. Do you have the Cummins engine owners manual that came with your MH? Typical Cummins engine component locations as of 11/05/2010

Big Nick the engine is mounted backwards to the chassis, the front of the engine is at the very back of the MH.
Thanks for the info, good to know, the manual too, I'm on Cummins Online but sometimes it can be a bear navigating around there at least for me. I'm thinking that's the tube laying there and hoping blowby is what making the mess up front. I understand the orientation, I guess I just hope everyone in here does. The front in the back and the back in the front, pretty cool.

Quote:
Thatís probably the slobber tube (crankcase vent)

I had a lot of oil on the bell housing, turned out to be a leak between the head and compression brake spacer housing (they use RTV).

Bill
Bill, are you saying they found a leak there and filled it with rtv for the fix?
Old 05-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the info, good to know, the manual too, I'm on Cummins Online but sometimes it can be a bear navigating around there at least for me. ?

I agree. I have found my 2007 ISL air breather call out, finally on Quickserve. If you are comfortable post your ESN or send via message and I'll see if I can find yours.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I agree. I have found my 2007 ISL air breather call out, finally on Quickserve. If you are comfortable post your ESN or send via message and I'll see if I can find yours.

Brian
Hi Brian, the ESN is 46175831, and really all it shows is the elbow the slobber tube and the breather plate itself which looks like its just a plate up top the hoses hook to?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins QuickServe Online.pdf (96.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-21-2021, 07:46 AM   #9
TR4

Quote:
Bill, are you saying they found a leak there and filled it with rtv for the fix?
No, I removed the valve cover and spacer housing and resealed. I also adjusted the valves and engine brake clearances while the housing was off. Note, this spacer is only on engines with a compression brake.

I would first degrease the engine and inspect after 500 miles.

Bill
Old 05-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
No, I removed the valve cover and spacer housing and resealed. I also adjusted the valves and engine brake clearances while the housing was off. Note, this spacer is only on engines with a compression brake.

I would first degrease the engine and inspect after 500 miles.

Bill
I'm going to degrease it, and reinspect after about 1400 miles, I'm running it to NM and back. I was thinking about the best way to degrease since I have to come from the top inside the coach. My plan is to get in there with a good wet/dry vac and plastic scrape/brush/vacuum as much off as I can, then finish the clean with simple green a brush and low pressure water?
Old 05-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #11

These are images before and after cleaning. I have one more clean to do with a parts brush and cleaning solution. I gonna run it 1400 miles and see, I'm guessing the rocker cover seal so I ordered one.

Before the next run, I'll get rig in the driveway I'll get under there and check the slobber tube, I think I see it laying down there underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_114606.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	329490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_133306.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	329491  

Old 06-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #12

I crawled under there today and found the slobber tube coming down near the oil filter. Some previous person had added a hose extension that had become disconnected from it and was laying there. The hose extension went back to just in front of the trailer light connector. Now I know why that area was such a mess with nasty goop when I replaced the plug.

When I was there, I was laying in the gravel, sweating my jewels off because its 10000 degrees out and the mosquitos getting a good meal. So I'll be revisiting it when I can get it in the driveway on the cement and pressure wash it then set it up right. Ill clean all that goop out and put a nice bottle in there.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #13

I have an old beater super powerful fan works wonders outside for jobs and skeeters .
Quote:
I crawled under there today and found the slobber tube coming down near the oil filter. Some previous person had added a hose extension that had become disconnected from it and was laying there. The hose extension went back to just in front of the trailer light connector. Now I know why that area was such a mess with nasty goop when I replaced the plug.

When I was there, I was laying in the gravel, sweating my jewels off because its 10000 degrees out and the mosquitos getting a good meal. So I'll be revisiting it when I can get it in the driveway on the cement and pressure wash it then set it up right. Ill clean all that goop out and put a nice bottle in there.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I have an old beater super powerful fan works wonders outside for jobs and skeeters .
Its a great idea and thanks for the input, a nice powerful fan would definately keep those little pesky buggers off me. I'm going to get it in the driveway and run the pressure washer for a bit, that misplaced slobber tube made a heck of a mess.