Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Crankcase Pressure Code

What would cause a check engine light for a higher than normal crankcase pressure in my Cummins ISL. Had the issue when I first purchased motor home. Replaced crankcase breather filter under valve cover along with sensor. Error went away. Drove to Florida from Massachusetts and over to Texas and then to Arizona. Light and error came back on after about 4000 miles as I was pulling into rv park in Tombstone Az. Reset it and it is gone for now. Engine runs fine with no other issues what so ever.

Any Ideas??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2022, 07:21 PM   #2

Have you checked the intake tubes/turbo for signs of dusting?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No dusting . . . No blow by out of dipstick. Turbo makes full boost. I have an extra filter and I will keep a watch out for it to happen again. Maybe it was a flookey thing going through the Arizona Hills here. Sensor was replaced when the last filter was changed. Had to use a Dorman sensor and not a cummins as they were backordered at the time.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to mechanical. but sometimes eng lights go out after a period of time/miles driven, Doesn't mean that the prob fixed itself.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #5

Mine started in 2015. Breather filter filled with oil. Ended up having to replace engine in 2019, all 6 cylinder top rings cracked. Engine not rebuildable, no longer made. Replaced with Jasper long block, $37K. So far so good.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Mine started in 2015. Breather filter filled with oil. Ended up having to replace engine in 2019, all 6 cylinder top rings cracked. Engine not rebuildable, no longer made. Replaced with Jasper long block, $37K. So far so good.
If you still have your Journey isnt that the 6.7 Isc like in the Ram Pickup Trucks. Totally different animal from my 8.9 ISL. I don’t know why it was not rebuildable as most Cummins can be re-sleaved. Why was it no longer available??
Old 02-11-2022, 06:51 AM   #7

Mine is a 6.7 ISB. In July 2018 had Cummins in Spartanburg look at the engine. They told me they thought it was the rings causing the problem. They quoted me $9k to drop/inspect/reinstall engine. If nothing inside found broken then extended warranty would not pay. They told me engine not rebuildable. A new engine at that time took 30 days to build, about $18k. I was heading to KY to work so nothing done.
I could drive all day below 2000rpm. Any time I hit 2100rpm it would throw a check engine, then stop engine light.
Got back to New Orleans in Dec, dropped it off at Cummins New Orleans. They told me the turbo indicated the engine was dusted. Warranty would not cover. They did a lot of legwork for me in identifying all the parts required to build an engine as they no longer made them. They did not want to do the work because they did not have the capability to drop the engine from the coach.
They found me an independent shop in Hammond, LA that was highly recommended. I dropped the coach off in Jan and told them to tear down the engine and find out what the problem was. My warranty was up in Mar, so one of us was going to pay. Turned out all the rings were cracked, so warranty ended up paying. I got a Jasper long block, new turbo, fuel pump and fuel injectors. All else came off my old engine.
Took 4 months to get the coach back, a lot of that time was waiting for the warranty company to approve the claim. The shop owner was really great in dealing with the company. Luckily we were able to stay at my sons house on the westbank while it was in the shop.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
What would cause a check engine light for a higher than normal crankcase pressure in my Cummins ISL. Had the issue when I first purchased motor home. Replaced crankcase breather filter under valve cover along with sensor. Error went away. Drove to Florida from Massachusetts and over to Texas and then to Arizona. Light and error came back on after about 4000 miles as I was pulling into rv park in Tombstone Az. Reset it and it is gone for now. Engine runs fine with no other issues what so ever.

Any Ideas??
So ranger what was the end result of your problem? My 425 ISL has thrown a similar code a couple times as well. Replaced the filter and made sure the drain lines were clear. Hoping for an easy fix?....
jmfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never figured it out. I replaced the filter again and sold the rig and purchased a newer one
Old 08-30-2022, 06:24 PM   #10

On our 18 X-15 engine we are able to get a reading on our crankcase pressure. On long grades have seen readings of 1.2 psi. Do you know what your crankcase pressure is?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the SPN & FMI code you can go to the Cummins Quickserve website. They have a Fault code look up and if it is a valid fault it will give you the information including how to troubleshoot and resolve.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote