Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
cummings no start 2000 5.9

I have a 2000 H/R Ambassador 5.9 been running ok, tried to start today turn over but would no start, funny thing starter continued to crank even when I turned key off start position and would stop when I pulled the key out of key slot? Starter Switch?
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suspect that we have the same engine and the same setup (see my signature).

Assuming that it is a Freightliner chassis, there is a relay on the driver's side frame rail, inside and just about beside the engine. Mine was bad but it gave me a different symptom from yours. If everything was working correctly, you could short the main poles on that relay and the starter will turn over. There are two smaller leads and one of them comes from ignition switch start circuit. I'm guessing that what happened in your case is that that relay stuck closed. That would definitely keep the starter turning even with the ignition off.

As to why the engine won't start, that may be a different issue. If the starter is engaging and cranking normally. I would start looking at fuel delivery. But I would work on the relay first and then see if you still have a staring problem.

I'm not sure why Freightliner put relays in such an exposed position. The relays that control the air heat grid for starting are on the passenger side frame rail and I've had to replace one of those, too. They just corrode because of the dirt and moisture off the road.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With a diesel engine there are two things required to run: air and fuel. Assuming the inlet tract is not completely plugged then it's a fuel problem. Start with the fuel shut off solenoid.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Can you tell me where the fuel shut off valve is?
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote