Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #1

Cummins 1998 ISB 24v 275 HP Derating

Hello, hope someone has some thoughts on my problem. For several years (we have 121,000 miles on our coach) from time to time we have a problem when we approach a stop and stop, the engine goes into a DERATE condition, Just will not accelerate and just bucks.
The solution we have found is to shut all DC power in the coach. Hold for 5-6 seconds and then reconnect the DC house and chassis power. Not so nice if you a setting in the middle of an intersection, but gets it done. But alter that she runs just great. Strong pulling, good fuel milage, just sweet.
Had the coach to Cummins which did not show any problem.
Seems like the this is resetting a computer. ECM or the computer on the VP44?.
So far this is how we have how to handle this problem. Would like any suggestions for all of you.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #2

Have you considered purchasing a Scan Gauge D , or Silver Leaf , dash board read out for engine functions and DTC's so you can catch it in the act, before you disconnect the power and dump the ECM memory.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Have you considered purchasing a Scan Gauge D , or Silver Leaf , dash board read out for engine functions and DTC's so you can catch it in the act, before you disconnect the power and dump the ECM memory.
Even cheaper than a scangauge is a elm 327 interface for the odb2 connection. It requires a smart phone or tablet to make the Bluetooth connection and read codes but I don't knoiw anyone who doesn't have one of those. A free app called Torque will let you read and reset codes. I see them for less than $10 on eBay.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Thanks to all of who answered. Yes, I do have a Scan Gauge D. No codes noted. Same thing when I took the coach to Cummins in Tampa, Fl. No codes, no trouble on a dymo, just a bill for $400.
I am wondering what controls the fuel feed. The ECM? The Computer on the VC44(High pressure fuel pump)? There is information on the Dodge Cummins site that the VC44 is prone to failure due to high heat(Florida).
The derating happens on a random basis.
Hopefully, someone has had this happen and knows what is going on.
Thanks again,
JimB
Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

Well, I think I found what is happening with my ISB. I searched and found posts on IRV2 dealing with the engine brake. According to these posts, Freightliner issued a Field Service Campaign number SF 240 A. This dealt with stray currents shutting down the ECM when the engine brake was activated. However, this condition happened randomly.
The engine then goes into shut down. Turning off and then turning on the ignition solves the situation.
This describes my condition.
Will contact Freightliner and see what they say.
JimB
Old 09-28-2016, 11:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Even cheaper than a scangauge is a elm 327 interface for the odb2 connection. It requires a smart phone or tablet to make the Bluetooth connection and read codes but I don't knoiw anyone who doesn't have one of those. A free app called Torque will let you read and reset codes. I see them for less than $10 on eBay.
There is no OBDII connection on this vintage of coach.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
There is no OBDII connection on this vintage of coach.
Not sure what coach you are referring to but YES there is a connection for an ISB 24 V under the dash on the fire wall for the scangauge D.
the best price for scan gauge is at Wal Mart.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #8

Well, problem solved. It was/is not a problem with the Cummins engine.
Freightliner did have a Field Service Campaign #SF240A to correct the problem of "loss of Throttle". I contacted "Vintage Parts" (877-846-8243) to see if they had P/N A06-42303-000 which is the solution for the problem. Two left. Purchased one through the Freightliner dealer in Tampa, Fl.
Another one of those problems that crop up from time to time with our older coach. 121,500 miles, going strong. For what we have, I see no need for a newer coach.
Regards,
JimB
Old 10-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Not sure what coach you are referring to but YES there is a connection for an ISB 24 V under the dash on the fire wall for the scangauge D.
the best price for scan gauge is at Wal Mart.
There is a connection to the ISB but it is not OBDII. Probably it is J1708 bus that is available, maybe J1939 but probably not on this age of coach.

Scangauge has products for this, would be surprised if Walmart had them.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
There is a connection to the ISB but it is not OBDII. Probably it is J1708 bus that is available, maybe J1939 but probably not on this age of coach.

Scangauge has products for this, would be surprised if Walmart had them.
Yes your right - it is not an OBDii but it does have an interface for the J connection. And Oh! Walmart does sell scangauge. I got mine ordered through Walmart and picked it up at the store. They had the lowest price available. $117

Tags
cummins