Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #1

Cummins 360 HP/ 800 torque

I have a 2017 Ventana LE 4037 which has the Cummins "B"360 HP/ 800 torque which is underpowered for this coach.

I had concerns when I purchased this coach but still did purchase as the price was a deal I could not refuse. I purchased from a friend of 50 years weeks before he passed away from cancer. He wanted me to have the coach at a price of 52 grand below book and still below wholesale offers from dealers.

I like the coach BUT way underpowered on steep grades must be avoided and long small grades struggles. Last winter in Big Bend NP wanted to go to Big Bend Ranch State Park. The shortest route was ST RT 170 BUT there was a 15 % grade for a mile. I was told no way will the coach pull this grade even if I disconnected the toad. Another RVer with an "L" series 450 HP 1150 torque did take his 40 ft coach with toad and just made it at a top speed of 25 mph.

Can this engine be bumped and at what cost? Will the cooling be compromised, the integrity is compromised, and adversely affect fuel mileage.

Would it just be best to just leave it alone and just accept the fact that slow on hills?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #2

I believe your coach has the Allison 3000. If so check out the tuners from PDI Diesel in Saint George Utah. 2300 bucks but they are having a Black Friday sale.
They are “plug and play” and offer a noticeable power increase.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #3

Cummins increased the potential horsepower and torque of the ISB for 2019. Your 2017 coach, which may have a 2016 or even a 2015 engine, is very near the max tuning. I could not find motorhome applications, but your year engine tops out a 370/800, or possibly 385/900, but with a specific transmission. These specs were for pickup trucks.

Point being, you will have a limit on how much tuning can be done, based on the engine itself and the transmission attached. It may not be worth the cost in the performance improvement.

Suggest you contact Cummins and ask the max increase you can tune your engine/transmission, if you are serious. Have your engine serial number ready.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Agreed, 360hp/800 is close to max hp/torque on a B Series.
The good news is you get a little better fuel economy on the flats.
Like my dad always preached, nothing beats cubic inch displacement for hp and torque. Everything has a trade off, slow down and enjoy the scenery. Just my .02c, I probably wouldn't waste my hard earned money on a possible 15hp tweek. You likely won't even notice the difference.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:18 AM   #5

Accept it is what it is and relax. This advice and $3 will get you a cup of coffee most anywhere.
Any HP modification will have negative ramifications in the future.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know that very steep incline along the Rio Grande well.
Just keep down shifting going uphill. 1st or 2nd gear will pull the hill. It's only 1-2 miles long.
That is undoughtably one of the most scenic out of the way roads in America.
Going downhill is more of a challenge. Start out at 5mph at the top. Use your exhaust brake for sure. Dont ride the brakes.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #7

How many semi's do you see going up a mountain at 50 mph. With the torque you have it should pull you up any highway grade. Cant expect it to run like a corvette because it isn't one.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
My old rig has 850 lbs torque.

Pulling a Jeep GC at 4,500 lbs and being 31,000 lbs itself it has yet to fail a single grade climb on the West Coast US and Canada..

35 mph is usually the speed going up steep and long grades.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
My old rig has 860 ft lbs torque.

Pulling a Jeep GC at 4,500 lbs and being 31,000 lbs itself it has yet to fail a single grade climb on the West Coast US and Canada..

35 mph is usually the speed going up steep and long grades.

I have yet to read about any DP not reaching the top due to lack of torque.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:34 AM   #10

Our coach has a 340 hp with Allison 2500. It gets me where I need to go, sometimes not as fast as a Harley would, but I get to see the view and enjoy it longer on the drive through.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
If the coach is fine on the flats and I'm sure it is then don't worry about going up hill fast.
Usually a coach with that size engine will give good mpg. Enjoy the ride and the sights along the way.
My coach is not as fast as my Corvette, but then it does have more hp.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #12

I would check out the cooling fan. Check out the cooling fan and H.P. needed to drive it. I am sure on that grade your cooling fan will be full speed. Could have a Horton clutch fan with a OEM fan blade. When pulling grades fan will be running full speed. H.P. used to cool is about 35HP. Multiwing fan uses about 15HP. Contact Larry , great people and filled with knowledge. lbrudzynski@superiorturbo.com
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also do not have an abundance of reserve power in my rig. If you are not manually downshifting, I would suggest learning how and when. When going up hills, I will override the transmission and downshift before I loose too many RPMs to keep it in the peak torque area. Definitely helps with the engine heat too. Unless I mess up, can always keep up or pass semis.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins