Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Cummins 400 hp Wrist Pin Defect

Should I be concerned if a 2005 Cummins 400 hp engine may be in the recall group if nothing has happened by now? The RV has 61,000 miles on it.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

If it is on list and they will make repairs at no charge I would take it in,
that's a no brainer.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
Should I be concerned if a 2005 Cummins 400 hp engine may be in the recall group if nothing has happened by now? The RV has 61,000 miles on it.
Are you uncertain if the engine is in the recall group? If so, you can check to see if the engine number falls between 46543077 to 46603939.

If within that range, it may have the defect, but with 61,000 miles the odds are better that it does not. Most failures happened much earlier in the engine's life. Also, Cummins never fixed the issue, they only paid for a retrofit of a crankcase pressure switch with a warning light that would illuminate if CC pressure increased from excessive blowby due to a failing wrist pin bushing. Not a lot of happy RV owners resulted.

If this is in a rv you are considering and it is within the range, you might negotiate a lower price and set aside that amount, or more, for future repair. There are no guarantees, but having 61K miles is a good sign. Any PPI requires a thorough oil analysis as well.

As outbound posted, if "they" actually repaired the defect, it would be a no brainer, but that is not the remedy Cummins has offered, AFIK.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

Thank you! I was able to check the SN on the engine today and it's in the clear.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I'm looking RV with this ISL400 engine and both maybe in the S/N range and was not retrofitted, but it's got 49K miles. My next question is will an engine oil analysis detect this problem? IE...lots of Al in the oil? thanks

Tags
cummins