Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #15

They are good motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
It's no kiddin. I had the same motor in my 95 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Diesel 35 ft with the Allison 6 speed and I got 10-11 mpg all the time. I don't know if it was because the coach was lighter weight or the engine/Trans combo was just right but it was good on fuel....And I drove it at 65-70 mph. It didn't fly up the big hills, but none of them really do.
I don't doubt you for a second, I have a 95 dodge 3/4 ton pickup with the same engine, I consistently get better than 20 miles to the gallon. Those are just good engines and last forever.
Nomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Now, I am going to call down derision on myself for suggesting that if you had a coolant leak such as this, Valvoline offers a HD stop leak product. Cummins now uses that on some ISX engines that have had issue with leaking EGR coolers.....this stuff is that good.
Gary,
Do you have more info on the Valvoline stop leak? Actual product name, link, or???

I have a '96 12v mechanical that routinely goes through about a pint of coolant per day. Doesn't really matter if we travel 150 or 500 miles in a day, its always the same - about a pint.

When I was having my Banks kit installed this spring the mech noticed a small coolant leak in front of the #1 exhaust port. It's small, maybe an inch of discoloration and it obviously evaporates long before leaking onto the ground. If he hadn't pulled the exhaust manifold I probably never would have found it. And I don't really know if this is the real culprit or the only culprit, there may be other leaks that I haven't ran into.

This leak is probably the head gasket as its on the seam. Do you know if this Valvoline magic juice would seal a head gasket leak? A can or bottle or whatever of additive that would plug the leak now would be really nice, in fact it would be magic
Old 10-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Yaj

Google "killer dowel pin" mine was half way out when I fixed it.

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #18

I'll tell you what I done to my head gasket leak on my 5.9 at the same place.
I thoroughly cleaned out that area after I scraped back as far as I could and got some of that steel epoxy sealant that comes in a plastic tube that you have to knead to mix and jammed it into that area and used a flat bladed screwdriver and a light hammer and drove the epoxy into that crack until I was certain that some got in there and then wedged more in that area and then let it harden. I did that 3 years ago while on a trip and it still doesn't leak there.
Hope this will work for you if you try it.
Oh ya- I did put a container of Barr's leak after the epoxy job.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #19

Valvoline.com > Products > Antifreeze Radiator Products > Radiator Treatments > Zerex® Super Sealer
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Gary, Ill give this a try.

cheers...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post

cheers...
Was originally developed to be the first course of warranty repair for ISX EGR coolers leaking coolant into the exhaust stream being passed into the engine through the EGR valve. If that did not work, then they changed the cooler.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #22

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post

cheers...
Don't forget to let us know how it works out, Because this could be ver helpful in the future.
Nomadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins