Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 05:27 AM   #1

Cummins 5.9 won’t start, stranded in paradise

Well paradise for a windsurfer.

I’m outside Corpus Christi TX and ready to travel home. The rig is a 98’ Winnebago with the Cummins 5.9 on a Freighter chassis.

She’s been running like a top. Yesterday I drive over to dump and no issues. This morning it turned over and ran for ~2 seconds then shut down. Now it never fires. Normally it starts right away, no extended cranking needed.

I have fuel
I have good battery power
Filters all replaced less than 6 months ago

Things I tried . . .

I disconnected the positive connection to the truck batteries
I checked all the fuses at the battery box
I opened the engine compartment and did a visual inspection for loose wires or anything else that looked out of place

I suspect it’s something electrical, but all dash lights look normal.

Any suggestions?
Anybody know a good Mobil truck service in Corpus?

Thanks for the help,

Brian
bwilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #2

Hi Brian. Sorry about your breakdown problems. Just a thought I had, check your water/fuel separator fuel filter for water, and/or a crack that leaks fuel. I had the plastic water bowl drain seal go bad on a trip up north and the fuel drained out of the filter overnight and the the engine refused to start the next morning. With a Caterpillar engine it is a bear to get her going when she runs out of fuel.

Just in case you don't know, your can "prime" your engine by turning on the ignition key to the position where the dash lights up for a few seconds , turn it off, then repeat. That runs the fuel pump and you can pump fuel up into the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filter Bowl 1.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	245547  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #3

Are you getting fuel to your injectors? When was the last time you changed your air filter/ is it plugged? A diesel only requires fuel/air to run nothing else! Since it turned over for 2 seconds and then stopped I would check your fuel filter to see if it is plugged and also the air filter if it is plugged.

If that doesn't solve your problem that you will need to find very good diesel mechanic in your area.

Good luck and let us know how this was resolved.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #4

1998 was a change over year for the 5.9 fuel systems as well as the Cummins cylinder head .

Is your engine a 12 valve or 24 valve model ??
Old 05-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #5

Actually, my previous 1997 Discovery had one of the first 24 valve ISB engines in it. Officially Cummins indicates 1998 was the change over year, but they started to make and ship production engines mid 1997.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #6

If the engine is a 24 valve , and the electric lift pump ( the weakest link in the fuel system , next to the VP-44 injector pump ) has failed then cycling the key won't help .
Somehow the owner or mechanic has to get to the lift pump to make sure it's operating. BEFORE the VP-44 fails due to lack of fuel.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #7

According to my notes, my 1997 Cummins had two fuel filters. Might want to check to see if your engine does also. Also depending on what fuel filter the last person put on, your engine may or may not have that plastic water/fuel bowl.

Also, some engine/chassis were shipped with a "hidden" inline fuel filter. There is several discussions w/pictures on this iRV2 forum about finding that filter and the thousands of dollars spent trying to find what was wrong with the engine when it turned out to be a small inline filter!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #8

The first thing I'd do is replace the Camshaft Position Sensor whenever any diesel engine will not start. They are a very problematic $20-30 part for every brand of diesel engine. They retime your engine and fuel injection every time you start the engine.

Ford 7.3 PowerStroke owners (like me) often carry a replacement in their gloveboxes with a #12 wrench needed to do the job. It's been my problem a couple of times.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Bigd9;4768449]

Also, some engine/chassis were shipped with a "hidden" inline fuel filter. There is several discussions w/pictures on this iRV2 forum about finding that filter and the thousands of dollars spent trying to find what was wrong with the engine when it turned out to be a small inline filter![/QUOTE

Since Pete , brought it up , here's a link .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/the-t...er-328852.html

But since that thread was started documentation has surfaced about the strainer and it's location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freightliner strainer location.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	245594  
Old 05-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Lay under engine and have someone turn start key. The electric lift pump will run for 30 secs. Its not hard to hear it. Thats what I'd do 1st. Then start checkin fuel flow pressure. If you have a paper element fuel filter (not a spin-on), drain canister and check for slime.
As mentioned the chassis maker (FL in my case) did install inline filter in small amount of chassis. Usually in frame rail. Worth calling with VIN to check yours. Have never met an owner that actually knew he had one and where it was.

Non starting diesel is almost always fuel, not electrical, like gas engines.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #11

Check the coolant. It may have a low coolant shutdown.

Since it ran to get you to the dump site, I wouldn't be looking at the fuel system first. It seems more like an electrical issue.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Unless fuel solenoid
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
1998 was a change over year for the 5.9 fuel systems as well as the Cummins cylinder head .

Is your engine a 12 valve or 24 valve model ??

Hi Skip,

My engine is the 24 valve configuration.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Hi Brian. Sorry about your breakdown problems. Just a thought I had, check your water/fuel separator fuel filter for water, and/or a crack that leaks fuel. I had the plastic water bowl drain seal go bad on a trip up north and the fuel drained out of the filter overnight and the the engine refused to start the next morning. With a Caterpillar engine it is a bear to get her going when she runs out of fuel.

Just in case you don't know, your can "prime" your engine by turning on the ignition key to the position where the dash lights up for a few seconds , turn it off, then repeat. That runs the fuel pump and you can pump fuel up into the engine.

I tried the prime with no luck.

Tags
cummins