Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #1

Smile Cummins engine failure

Hello, my name is Gary, I am a newbie. I’m about to buy an 06 with the Cummins 400 engine identified with the recalled serial numbered engine with the wrist pin issue, the engine has just under 40k miles. Does anyone know if an extending warrantee would cover an engine failure, the recall was done to this engine. OR will Cummins repair the engine if it fails due to the recall issue. I had read old post, there was mention of a letter from Cummins with a lifetime warranty for the affected part, does anyone, remember this and the final outcome?? Thanks
Garebear4161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2022, 02:03 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Welcome to the forum.

Others will have much more information on this and will most likely be able to directly answer your question.

If you go to THIS POST in an older thread, it does quote from the Cummins notification:

"This campaign covers post-warranty repairs free of charge if the issue involves the connecting rod defect addressed by this recall."

That sounds as if you're covered. However I don't see that part in the letter that Cummins issued on May 18, 2007 attached below as I had a copy in my files.

Maybe somebody has the actual memo with that wording. And I also believe that the letter of May 18, 2007 attached has a revision dated September 18, 2007 but I don't have it but maybe somebody else does.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummin s_ISL _CM850_recallcampaign letter.pdf (283.0 KB, 4 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #3

If it was my potential purchase I'd call Cummins directly and get it in writing.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
If it was my potential purchase I'd call Cummins directly and get it in writing.

Hey, that's no fair, you are using logic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:24 PM   #5

What if the wrist pin causes engine failure after the warrantee period has expired ?
Old 05-27-2022, 11:04 PM   #6

I did call Cummins, they said the engine in question has had the recall performed, but wouldn’t talk about what if the engine failed.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:39 AM   #7

I had read if it didn't fail after so many miles it was probably not going to fail. But definitely see if recall was to ever expire.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #8

The only way I'd buy that coach is if I had enough money in hand to immediately replace all six pistons.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm sure there are limits of years or miles. That what I have always seen in the auto industry. The one you are looking at a 2006 and is 16 years old???
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #10

Seems to me if the recall was done then there shouldn't be any issues. It's repaired. Maybe ask the previous owner or Cummins the miles when the recall was done. If it's been years and 10's of thousands of miles then you shouldn't have any worries.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
Seems to me if the recall was done then there shouldn't be any issues. It's repaired. Maybe ask the previous owner or Cummins the miles when the recall was done. If it's been years and 10's of thousands of miles then you shouldn't have any worries.
Yeah, that's what one would think.

Unfortunately, though, the recall did not repair the inadequate clearance between the wrist pin and piston created by a machining error when the engine components were manufactured. Cummins could have replaced the pistons and wrist pins. They could have honed the piston pin bores to spec. They could have replaced the wrist pins with pins having the right clearance.

Instead, it added a "you're screwed, have a nice day" warning light. It won't take much time to find all the gory details on irv2 or Google.

I'd also have thought high-mileage engines would "wear in" to the right clearance, but there have been reports of these engines failing due to the same manufacturing defect as well.

Replacing the pistons (and pins that come with them) is the only effective way to make sure you won't have the problem.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:38 PM   #12

If it was me, I would look into an insurance policy to cover possible problems
such as you are noting.
We did purchase a policy which did cover significant repair costs for replacing
a VP44 high pressure pump on our Cummins ISB. Well worth the cost.
Take care, happy travels.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
If it was me, I would look into an insurance policy to cover possible problems
such as you are noting.
We did purchase a policy which did cover significant repair costs for replacing
a VP44 high pressure pump on our Cummins ISB. Well worth the cost.
Take care, happy travels.
JimB

I agree, this is an instance where an Extended Service Contract is warranted; and also include the gaskets and seals rider to the policy. Without the rider any oil or fluid gasket failure, any resulting mechanical damage is not covered.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:50 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
If I read the recall correctly, they add a warning light on the dash to indicate crankcase pressure as the cylinder fails. It is just an early warning device to avoid major damage. Other posts have mentioned this. Unless there is an additional document, they do not suggest recalling all of these engines in the serial number range to change out the rods and pistons. I believe that warning light was what Cummins referred to as having preformed the recall. If the rods and pistons were changed, Cummins should have a record of that.

It may very well never be an issue at this age and miles but why take the chance? There are hundreds of great coaches available without needing additional warranties to cover known manufacturing errors. If you do buy it, I am afraid you will always be watching the red light and wondering when it might illuminate. Good luck on your decision.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine