Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
MKW

Cummins IHS300 turbo charger

Hi folks….thanks for allowing my wife and I to join. I have lost turbo charger. Any ideas? What could cause this? I have no pressure on the gauge and I also have no exhaust temperature reading. Fuse???
MKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

What engine do you have? IHS 300 doesn't ring any bells.

What coach?

Have you checked boots/plumbing from turbo to CAC and CAC to intake manifold?
Old 10-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
MKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

What engine do you have? IHS 300 doesn't ring any bells.

What coach?

Have you checked boots/plumbing from turbo to CAC and CAC to intake manifold?
It’sa 99 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Old 10-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
MKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
Hi folks….thanks for allowing my wife and I to join. I have lost turbo charger. Any ideas? What could cause this? I have no pressure on the gauge and I also have no exhaust temperature reading. Fuse???
Note to all….Never type when tired. Our coach has a Cummins ISC 350 engine. I changed the filter. Removed and cleaned all the tubing into the turbo charger. Still no luck. I’m confused because I’m not showing exhaust temperature either?

I apologize for providing bad information initially. 12 hr drive into the ozarks without turbo was intense.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

Start by checking rubber hoses connected to the air to air intercooler. Then follow the pipes to the turbo charger. If your lucky one of the hoses has popped off or has a hole in it. Check your air to air intercooler for any holes.
If you can’t find any holes or rubber hoses damaged then you will have to look inside the turbocharger to make sure the turbine fins are still there.
The usual cause is a failed hose clamp ona rubber hose on the boost side or pressure side of the turbine.
Good luck
cmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKW View Post
It’s a 99 Holiday Rambler Navigator
The exhaust temp gauge , would have been a Holiday Rambler install , not Cummins , so you'll have to look over the engine for the sensor , either drilled into the exhaust manifold or just down the pipe from the turbo .

Waste gate control has to be examined , to make sure the actuator control rod hasn't separated from the gate lever.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The exhaust temp gauge , would have been a Holiday Rambler install , not Cummins , so you'll have to look over the engine for the sensor , either drilled into the exhaust manifold or just down the pipe from the turbo .

Waste gate control has to be examined , to make sure the actuator control rod hasn't separated from the gate lever.
Skip, If The seals go bad in the Turbo would it draw oil from the oil pan. I'm told that the Turbo draws oil to lubricate the bearings and returns back to the oil pan?????

Joep Smoke’n Diesel
2006 37” Monaco Cayman, Roadmaster Chassis
Cummins, ISB 300HP Low Torque5.9L/359 Cu. In.
Chrome Exhaust Tip-Engine (LOL)
Joephome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joephome View Post
Skip, If The seals go bad in the Turbo would it draw oil from the oil pan. I'm told that the Turbo draws oil to lubricate the bearings and returns back to the oil pan?????

Joep Smoke’n Diesel

2006 37” Monaco Cayman, Roadmaster Chassis

Cummins, ISB 300HP Low Torque5.9L/359 Cu. In.

Chrome Exhaust Tip-Engine (LOL)
The engine oil pump sends oil to the turbo and it lubs and cools the center bearing. That oil is returned to the oil pan.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
Community Moderator

While I was driving on a highway suddenly I lost turbo. Upon arrival I checked the connector boots and tested CAC, I was convinced that the turbo unit was the culprit though I couldn't see anything wrong obviously. Ordered one online and got it installed in two days (part of the time was contributed to soaking the bolts/nuts with penetrating oil). It's not too bad of a job on an ISC engine. After It's done I took the coach out for a spin; on a small uphill road, I was instantly telling myself I had nailed it, it was like night and day.

OP, first check your connector boots, then do a CAC test. If no issues, it's time for a new turbo. Best of luck!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The engine oil pump sends oil to the turbo and it lubs and cools the center bearing. That oil is returned to the oil pan.
Just noticed that my oil pressure gauge quit working totally pegged all the way to the right, my secondary oil pressure gauge also quit working. I don't believe the oil pump quit, if it did i don't think i could have gone 1000 plus miles without the engine seizing up. Any thoughts.

Joep
Old 10-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm confused by what your are reporting.

Did you lose the "gauges" only?

Losing Oil pressure, Boost, and Exhaust temp gauges could all be due to the same problem (assuming boost and temp gauges are electrical) like bad ground wire at gauge cluster.

Is the Coach running okay?

If the turbo failed completely I don't see how you could drive 1000 miles.

If the wastegate was stuck partially open, or you have a bad hose from turbo outlet to intake manifold, you would be down on power. How much down depends on how much boost your losing.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I'm confused by what your are reporting.

Did you lose the "gauges" only?

Losing Oil pressure, Boost, and Exhaust temp gauges could all be due to the same problem (assuming boost and temp gauges are electrical) like bad ground wire at gauge cluster.

Is the Coach running okay?

If the turbo failed completely I don't see how you could drive 1000 miles.

If the wastegate was stuck partially open, or you have a bad hose from turbo outlet to intake manifold, you would be down on power. How much down depends on how much boost your losing.
No Just the Oil Pressure Gauge, Engine Seems to run fine except for.... can't get into that for now.....

Tags
charger, cummins, turbo