Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Cummins Insite or Inline

I'd like to connect my 2007 Cummins 400 on Spartan Chassis to my laptop to understand the hydraulic fan parameters controlled there. Can someone guide me on what cable and software can be had to attach a Windows OS laptop to that round port on the engine or up by the driver? I've seen software and devices costing a couple of hundred dollars, and those in the thousands. if its thousands, I'm out... guidance appreciated.
Genevatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 07:09 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I am pleased with VMSpec by SilverLeaf. https://silverleafelectronics.com//?page_id=2549
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here's some info on Insite
https://www.cummins.com/parts-and-se...ervices/insite
Here's where you can buy a 1 year license
https://www.diesellaptops.com/produc...gle%20Shopping

What kind of problems are you having.

You might have to go to a shop and have them change the parameters of the fan which are programed in the ECM. If you do that ask for a image copy of how your ECM is programed. Mine is about ~400 lines long.

Here is my fan setup
Fan Control,

Air Conditioner Pressure Switch Controls Fan,Disable,

Fan Clutch Logic,12/24V ON,

Fan On During Engine Braking,Disable,

Fan Type,On/Off,

Manual Fan Switch,Enable,

Minimum Fan On Time for Air Conditioner Pressure Switch,0,sec

Pulse Width Modulation
Frequency,0,Hz
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Good Info@jacwjames

My problem is the AC cutting off (blower, everything) on occasion when sitting in stop start traffic. new compressor, new fan hydraulic motor, new control valve, new freon.

Those fan parms are interesting-

- Fan on during engine braking- when I replaced the hydraulic fan motor the engagement of that fan during breaking is *heavy*. it slows down the coach at twice the rate it did, and its too much- about to pitch the passengers through the windshield.

- air conditioner pressure switch controls fan- i need a parameter that accelerates the fan slightly at idle, when the AC is on- and our pressure limit switch is cutting off the whole system if we sit in traffic still. This still does not sound like the right parameter but curious if its allowing the high pressure cutoff switch to kill the fan... that does not sound right either, that's when you Need the fan...think we need a few hundred more rpms on the fan at idle with AC engaged.

Fan type off/on - sounds like an electric fan- ours is side radiator hydraulic.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have an electronic fan control?? These are known to go bad.

Source Engineering offers a conversion to a thermo valve.
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR

I have a side radiator with a thermovalve system. It is proportional to temp.

Some people have put a restricting/orifice in the line which makes the fan run at a slightly higher speed at idle.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:20 PM   #6

You can buy Insite and adapter as a kit on Ebay or it can be found in various places on the web.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevatexan View Post
My problem is the AC cutting off (blower, everything) on occasion when sitting in stop start traffic. new compressor, new fan hydraulic motor, new control valve, new freon.

Those fan parms are interesting-

- Fan on during engine braking- when I replaced the hydraulic fan motor the engagement of that fan during breaking is *heavy*. it slows down the coach at twice the rate it did, and its too much- about to pitch the passengers through the windshield.

- air conditioner pressure switch controls fan- i need a parameter that accelerates the fan slightly at idle, when the AC is on- and our pressure limit switch is cutting off the whole system if we sit in traffic still. This still does not sound like the right parameter but curious if its allowing the high pressure cutoff switch to kill the fan... that does not sound right either, that's when you Need the fan...think we need a few hundred more rpms on the fan at idle with AC engaged.

Fan type off/on - sounds like an electric fan- ours is side radiator hydraulic.
I have 400ISL common rail, VGT turbo (CM850) with side rad, Country Coach variable speed ECM controlled fan (Dec 15, 2006 engine build). Here are the fan parameters that can be programmed. The coach OEM would more than likely have set the parameters, mine are attached.

Notice Minimum on fan run time of 180sec - that means the fan will run for at least 180 sec after a/c signal from ECM, minimizes fan cycling....

EDIT - if the fan is not spinning fast enough to cool condenser, the AC high pressure switch will kill the compressor signal. To speed up the fan it will depend on the hydraulic fan motor/control. On a number of side rad hydraulic driven the controller can go bad and needs to be correctly troubleshot. It may not be in the ECM control.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 Allure Insite 400ISL Insite Fan Excerpt.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	374184  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fan Control ISL CM850 Excerpt.pdf (78.9 KB, 40 views)
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Cummins Insite or Inline

Re-read your post this AM. Interesting symptom that everything including blower shuts off in idling traffic. I am wondering about main power (12VDC) to control unit in dash. Typically it is a Type 2 resettable blade fuse (20A, metal case) so possibly it is heating up (wherever it is located) and tripping. It will reset when cool. Try replacing it with a new one - they do drift over time and trip at lower amperage.

Just a thought.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Thumbs up Great feedback

I'll look at the electronic fan controller, and either get a shop to look at the ECM controls or find my way in cheap.

On the type 2 resettable blade fuse, I think I know where that is under the step. tall rectangular metal resettable fuse, but not sure I can see any failure, its not see-thru and testing in the board would be hard.
If its not expensive I may just replace. If I remember there are two under the entry stairs. That said, it always seems to be when idling only, and the shop that did the compressor proved that the air holds up fine if they provided outside cooling (water hose) on the condenser during testing. So it looks more like high pressure cutoff than electronic cutoff.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:32 AM   #10

i am using nexiq usb link 2 with insite and it works pretty good
i even used this for ecm flashing delete
loyda12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Reviving this thread for hydraulic fan speed issue

The AC had an issue in one of the 3 controllers, so National RV in Dallas did a great job of finding that. Now we have this 20 degrees over normal situation from when we replaced the engine/condenser cooling fan. We are able to keep rolling but its borderline overheat.
So today I crawled under it and at idle, disconnected the controller connector wire on the valve screwed into the hydraulic fan motor. *NOTHING HAPPENED*. My understanding is the fan should default to max speed. It continued to operate at a relaxed speed, no change. I have ordered a $17 photo rpm device to document the speed, assume everything comes down that two wire connector from the ECM? but would like feedback on what the forum thinks is root cause given the facts- (2007 American Coach Tradition 40J, cummins ISL, side radiator, hydraulic fan AKG radiator stack).

Tags
cummins