Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #71

Isn't it about time that this @#!!* fan clutch is recalled?
Paladin76063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #72

Fan clutch

Guess that answers my question as to whether Horton had improved the design of the clutch.
Slateous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #73

Hello. Not sure if the problem I have is related. I have an '08 Cummins ISB 350. For the past year I have had warning lights about "Low Voltage". I have also had a couple high temp warnings come up. This past weekend I got some really big ones. Check Engine, oil pressure gauge acting up and dropping to 0 (it does have oil) then Check transmission followed by all the lights on and then dead. Unit cranks but does not start. Freightliner has not figured out what the deal is yet other than to say they cannot communicate with the ECM. All this stuff seems to happen when it is hot in the summer, rather than in the late fall. Is it possible that a lower air flow could cause the ECM to fail or provide false information?
John_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:24 AM   #74

How come your quote was only $800, was that just that labor part? I have the part itself as $645 and FL so far says they won't pay for a defective part???
LVRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:36 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slateous View Post
Paddler,
I don't think the bullitan is available to the public. My FL service group told me to call the customer service # to seek financial support. They knew all about 3737 & eventually picked up 50% of the cost even though I was out of warranty. FL corporate does require them to go through a lot of checks & diagnostics before they will authorize the new fan clutch which increases the labor costs. My own humble opinion is it's cheaper to skip the process and just have them replace the clutch. My quote was $800. After 3737 it was no where near that. Hang in there and good luck.
Hello Slateous,

I'm trying to see who has most recently had the fan clutch replaced using SS3737. I have a 2008 Expedition with the ISB engine. Had the periodic overheating on long uphill climbs. This started in 2014 and of course drove perfect everywhere else. Took it to my service person and the did the slobber hose check and CAC clean. All was fine until another long climb. Had another service person look at in early 2015, still under 30K miles. they did the same as the first service since there is no Safety Bulletin posted. I finally found this string and took it to the FL service group this month (7/2016) and mentioned SS3737, they didn't have it on their system, but the FL Service Tech I spoke with knew about it right away. I'm trying to see how I can get FL Corp to help with even 50% of the $2,000 bill. They are saying that since the SS was out in 2012 that it has been too long. Note: it is actually called a "Service Solution" 3737, so even harder for FL service location to find. Does anyone have any suggestions? when was the latest anyone had this work done and had FL Corp assist with paying. Why are they not paying for the faulty part??? errrrrggg
LVRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #76

LVRV
My $800 quote was labor & materials. Grand Rapids FL. 2015. Again 3737 will cost you more because of all the hoops FL puts them through if your not under warranty. Good luck.
Slateous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #77

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you've read my post #59 I included copies of correspondence between myself and Freightliner where the attitude was quite clear - Tough luck! It's difficult to lead a revolution against F/L from where I am in Canada as most of the failures have occurred in US. Surely one of the ambulance chasing law firms you have would be glad to start a class action against F/L for a percentage particularly with the number of potential claimants there seems to be out there. Anyone want to get the ball rolling?
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #78

My Cummins ISB 340, Freightliner XC chassis started overheating on long hills. Had the rear radiator blown out, still overheated. I spent several hours washing with a pressure washer, still overheated. Cummins shop for two days, 1 thermostat (clutch fan checked OK)and $1500 later it overheated.
I bought a bore scope and webcam to be able to see the engine side of the radiator. It was full of leaves and debris despite having been blown and washed out! Freightliner and Winnebago did not leave any access to the engine side of the radiator so I cut a hole in the top of the shroud to get to the debris. I lined the edges with duct tape to minimize fiberglass splinters. Homemade tools,a shop vac and litter picker let me remove the blockage. I replaced the cut out section with screws.
Any debris left in the shroud after blow or wash out will be blown back into the radiator along with anything picked up while driving. A pack rat added to my troubles. A visual check inside the shroud is on my routine maintenance list now.
Marionberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #79

I am having the intermittent overheating problem discussed in this thread. Has anyone received a copy of the Freightliner Service Solution 3737 that actually describes that this is an issue. I have requested it on 2 different occasions and what I have been sent is a Procuct Technical Bulleting describing the Horton Viscous Fan Clutch Troubleshooting procedure. My fan clutch supposedly passed all of the tests, but I am still having an intermittent overheating issue. Yes, the radiator has been steam cleaned. Yes, the thermostat has been changed. Yes, the coolant has been changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
teptraveler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by teptraveler1 View Post
I am having the intermittent overheating problem discussed in this thread. Has anyone received a copy of the Freightliner Service Solution 3737 that actually describes that this is an issue. I have requested it on 2 different occasions and what I have been sent is a Procuct Technical Bulleting describing the Horton Viscous Fan Clutch Troubleshooting procedure. My fan clutch supposedly passed all of the tests, but I am still having an intermittent overheating issue. Yes, the radiator has been steam cleaned. Yes, the thermostat has been changed. Yes, the coolant has been changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I suggest using some type of camera on a stick or pole to be able to see the engine side of the radiator/ charge air cooler. It is a simple check that might answer your problem. My coach would heat on flat ground as well as hills. It is very difficult to blow or wash debris out because of the charge air cooler and the deep shroud.

Good luck
Marionberry
Marionberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by teptraveler1 View Post
teptraveler1
Obviously I am not sure if your overheating problem was the same as mine, but here is my experience with trying to get this resolved...

I first took it to Cummins, they tested everything that falls within their responsibility and everything tested ok. I then took it to our nearest Freightliner service center of which by now I had done a lot of research and was convinced it was the fan clutch and I also advised them of Service Solution 3737.

After a week at Freightliner, they also said they did everything that you have mentioned above and everything tested ok, (I will also note there was a lot of conflicting responses from them every time I called). Out of now total frustration, I called the service manager at our next closest Freightliner center. I began to explain to him my frustrations and the history, before I even had a chance to finish he said, 'It's the Fan Clutch' - while I was on the phone with him he had a new fan clutch ordered and had me scheduled for it to be replaced the next day. That obviously finally resolved the overheating issue for me.
finnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 AM   #82

Sounds like a clutch fan problem, I had the mounting bracket break last year and the clutch went bad also. Freightliner covered the problem because the engine is shipped to them without a cooling system they install this. This is a freightliner problem not a cummins problem. Went you engine starting to go above normal range pull over a leave engine running and with a flashlight look in from passenger side behind rear wheel up at the fan area I'll bet the fan is not running. I am a mechanic so I did the job myself but freightliner reimbursed for the parts
Hdwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #83

Thanks to the posts regarding the Freightliner Service Solution 3737, Horton fan clutch intermittent overheating issue. Originally took MH to Freightliner where they steam cleaned the radiator, stated that everything was OK. Which is wasn't. Returned to them where they than spent 3.5 hours of diagnostics at $175 per hour and stated it 'could' be a sticking thermostat. They changed thermostat and coolant, stated everything was OK. It wasn't. After spending $2300 and still having overheating issues I took it somewhere else. With the info from this forum in hand I convinced them to replace the fan clutch. Have only had it on about a 120 mile test drive since picking it up, but so far no overheating. Thanks to all who posted regarding this issue. And unless I am on the road and have NO other options, my motorhome will never see another Freightliner facility.
teptraveler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #84

How did you get freightliner to cover half of the cost? Was the part still under warranty? I am having the same issues

Tags
cooling, cummins, fan, heating, thermostat