Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #99

Invoice is in MH, but I think is was $1500+. The radiator did not have to come out. They accessed it thru the closet. Yours could be different. We live in the Kansas City, MO area. I took it to Transwest in Belton, MO. Had I taken it back to Freightliner they probably wouldn't have worked with the extended warranty and with their labor rate the bill would probably have been closer to or over $2000. Needless to say, after my experience with Freightliner in Kansas City, it will be an extreme emergency before I take anything to Freightliner.
teptraveler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaem View Post
How much did it cost for parts and labor? Did the radiator have to be removed and where did you end up taking it?
Made this post but failed to include quote of your question. Redoing it to make sure you receive response.

Invoice is in MH, but I think is was $1500+. The radiator did not have to come out. They accessed it thru the closet. Yours could be different. We live in the Kansas City, MO area. I took it to Transwest in Belton, MO. Had I taken it back to Freightliner they probably wouldn't have worked with the extended warranty and with their labor rate the bill would probably have been closer to or over $2000. Needless to say, after my experience with Freightliner in Kansas City, it will be an extreme emergency before I take anything to Freightliner.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
My Alison 2500 transmission overheats in HOT weather, and "blows" out transmission fluid from the vent on top. Any ideas on how to keep the transmission cooler? I have the proper amount of fluid. I did install the Source Engenering fan for a little more horse power, and of course less fan noise. My tow car gets transmission oil spots on it when this happens. What do you suggest I do? The temperatures are over 100 degrees outside. Cooler outside temperatures NO problem with the transmission. HELP
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
I'm using my cell phone to post...can the moderator post this if I did it wrong?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
My Alison 2500 transmission overheats in HOT weather, and "blows" out transmission fluid from the vent on top. Any ideas on how to keep the transmission cooler? I have the proper amount of fluid. I did install the Source Engenering fan for a little more horse power, and of course less fan noise. My tow car gets transmission oil spots on it when this happens. What do you suggest I do? The temperatures are over 100 degrees outside. Cooler outside temperatures NO problem with the transmission. HELP
Sanford, how hot is your tranny getting? My 07 Neptune has an Allison 2500 as well and the hottest I've seen is 212 degrees. That's climbing a long steady grade when outside temps are at extremes. Engine water temp usually only goes to a max of about 205 degrees in those extreme conditions. I have a Banks powerpack kit on mine with a little extra power so I'm sure my tranny runs slightly warmer transferring extra power.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:42 AM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
I think it still has more fluid than it should have. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #105

I have a 2008 Itasca Meridian, 39Z. Have had the Horton fan clutch replaced last spring and twice since then have experienced overheating. I have verified with Freightliner that pulling the fuse for the fan clutch will lock it in. I have not, with conversations with either Winnebago or Freightliner, been able to determine where the fuse for the fan clutch is located. Can anyone help me determine where the fuse is located? Thank you in advance.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #106

Freightliner should be able to tell you where and what fuse number it is. I would call back. Mine was located in the box in the rear passenger side of the coach in the bay. I would call them back and have you walk through it on the phone. Also, if you have had it replaced and it is still failing I would take it back to them and have them see if they need to put a guard dog on the system. Call the 800 number, not the local Freightliner company. If the local cannot help you, I wonder how they installed it the first time or if they really did!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #107

On our 2010 Damon Astoria, the fuse box for the fan fuse is in the rear compartment that also stores our power cord.

The fuse box is black with the Ariens printed on the cover maybe 4 in x 6in in size.

We had a similar situation to yours and the FL service center installed a "Guard Dog" . The tech also mentioned that the more recent replacement fan clutches have been better quality than the originals.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #108

Should have been a recall by Freightliner.
Paladin76063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #109

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I have a 2014, will it end up having the same issues or has freight liner corrected the problem. Any ideas on how to inspect the fan hub, plate and bolts. I only have 11,000 miles on mine, but planning a 10,000 mile trip soon.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #110

the fuse block that has my fan fuse is located above the engine. Open the closet door. Then the trap door. Stand on your head and look to the front of the coach. It's a black box with 4 screws holding the cover. 2 of which will break before you can unscrew them. Ask me how I know! S*S*
dwarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #111

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
I have a 2014, will it end up having the same issues or has freight liner corrected the problem. Any ideas on how to inspect the fan hub, plate and bolts. I only have 11,000 miles on mine, but planning a 10,000 mile trip soon.
Contacted Freight liner and was told that hub bolts and the associated problem has been corrected and that 2013 and later models will not have this issue. In fact they have not had any reports since the issue has been corrected
Old 07-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slateous View Post
Ticket History
Tom Slater (Client) Posted On: 22 September 2015 07:19 PM

Just a note from my previous post, FL Grand Rapids quoted me $600 for part & 300 labor. Some have paid $3,500! I think cost goes up when they go through diagnosis & if you want Corp to pay they run them through a long list of protocols raising labor charge. Nonsense. They may be in line for a class action some day soon. This is happening way too much and at very low miles for Corp not to pick up the entire tab and upgrade the part.
So glad to have found all this information about this problem. I agree whole heartedly that a class action suit should be upcoming. Our 2009 Berkshire 390BH with 340ISB CUMMINS has had the exact problem overheating on hills. We had work done at Cummins in Billings, Montana - radiator boiled out, thermostat replaced, turbo sensor replaced, EGR valve replaced, new antifreeze- $4300 later still heating up on the hills. Started researching and found this thread. Might have to try the direct drive fan.

Tags
cooling, cummins, fan, heating, thermostat