Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #113

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What a PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banning406 View Post
So glad to have found all this information about this problem. I agree whole heartedly that a class action suit should be upcoming. Our 2009 Berkshire 390BH with 340ISB CUMMINS has had the exact problem overheating on hills. We had work done at Cummins in Billings, Montana - radiator boiled out, thermostat replaced, turbo sensor replaced, EGR valve replaced, new antifreeze- $4300 later still heating up on the hills. Started researching and found this thread. Might have to try the direct drive fan.
Sorry to hear of your troubles but there are hundreds of us who have had the same experience. I had similar work done as you did and for a year it was OK.
Last year we were driving between Quartzite and Yuma after driving down from Canada no problem when up goes the temp gauge, on comes the alarm and the mild cussing begins. I pulled over and turned off, waited a few minutes and started up and all was good for 4 months and back to Canada. Go figure - I cant. I have a chum with a Cummins 350 in his Itasca and any incline causes the sympton. He has had EVERYTHING done and no resolution.
It has to be a software problem. Not as bad as B737 Max but same root cause
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #114

Monaco Owners Club
Recent experience with ISB 6.7L 350 Fan Clutch

Hello all - just to throw in my 0.02.
We own a 'new to us' 2008 Winnebago Journey with the 6.7L ISB EPA07 350hp engine and 55k miles on ISC rear-radiator chassis.

The previous owner had Freightliner replace the fan clutch due to all of the above symptoms before we purchased the rig.
We began experiencing the same tendency to overheat (although I never actually let it overheat - just watched the gauges perform EXACTLY as described). First I verified cleanliness of radiator and CAC and so on - all was well.
Cutting to the chase...I just returned from Camp Freightliner in Gaffney where their service department took a look. They suggested installing a "Guard Dog" instead of replacing the clutch, as the clutch itself is new (within 2 years) and there are no oil leaks, signs of slippage, etc.
The Guard Dog is a sort of override fan controller and is a small box that clips in to the harness that drives the fan.
Problem solved. Zero overheating and the fan cycles up and down as appropriate (like it should have in the first place). Cost for Guard Dog was $300.00. The Guard Dog is a product made by Horton
Horton Vehicle Products | Horton
I gave the techs at FL in Gaffney the SS Code 3737 and we discussed everything from just pull the fuse and leave the fan locked all the time, to replace the fan clutch, to a direct-drive solution.
Time will tell if I made the right decision, but at $300.00 it was a risk I was willing to take starting low and going slow versus yet another fan clutch still to have issues remain.
So far 3000k miles home and zero problems the entire return trip over 2 weeks.
Just to share my experiences. I'll post again if the 'fix' doesn't hold!!
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
Hello all - just to throw in my 0.02.
We own a 'new to us' 2008 Winnebago Journey with the 6.7L ISB EPA07 350hp engine and 55k miles on ISC rear-radiator chassis.

The previous owner had Freightliner replace the fan clutch due to all of the above symptoms before we purchased the rig.
We began experiencing the same tendency to overheat (although I never actually let it overheat - just watched the gauges perform EXACTLY as described). First I verified cleanliness of radiator and CAC and so on - all was well.
Cutting to the chase...I just returned from Camp Freightliner in Gaffney where their service department took a look. They suggested installing a "Guard Dog" instead of replacing the clutch, as the clutch itself is new (within 2 years) and there are no oil leaks, signs of slippage, etc.
The Guard Dog is a sort of override fan controller and is a small box that clips in to the harness that drives the fan.
Problem solved. Zero overheating and the fan cycles up and down as appropriate (like it should have in the first place). Cost for Guard Dog was $300.00. The Guard Dog is a product made by Horton
Horton Vehicle Products | Horton
I gave the techs at FL in Gaffney the SS Code 3737 and we discussed everything from just pull the fuse and leave the fan locked all the time, to replace the fan clutch, to a direct-drive solution.
Time will tell if I made the right decision, but at $300.00 it was a risk I was willing to take starting low and going slow versus yet another fan clutch still to have issues remain.
So far 3000k miles home and zero problems the entire return trip over 2 weeks.
Just to share my experiences. I'll post again if the 'fix' doesn't hold!!
Thanks for the information! I had heard about the guard dog but want sure what it was.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #116

I have a Bounder 5.9L ISB, 2001Freightliner chassis. When I contacted Source they have no info on Bounders. (really?). Anyway, they sell the fan but not the direct drive to eliminate it. How did you mount the fan to your Cummins? Where did you get the drive adapter?
TDebrocke55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDebrocke55 View Post
I have a Bounder 5.9L ISB, 2001Freightliner chassis. When I contacted Source they have no info on Bounders. (really?). Anyway, they sell the fan but not the direct drive to eliminate it. How did you mount the fan to your Cummins? Where did you get the drive adapter?
If a direct drive fan is what you are wanting, locate the 5A fan clutch fuse and remove it. You will then have a direct drive fan. This is info obtained from a Freightliner rep at the Winnebago Grand National Rally. Thanks to ziaptrn I now know the location of the fuse on my motorhome. Next time I have an overheating issue the fuse will be gone. If Bounder is anything like Winnebago, it may not be in the most accessible location.
teptraveler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #118

I pulled my fan clutch fuse yesterday and took a 40 minute drive, heat gauge held right where it was supposed to.
Dwayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Cummins ISB 6.7 2008 46K miles
Have been reading all post on this thread and I have all the symptoms of overheating, Have replaced thermostat and cleaned radiator .guess it is time for a clutch fan.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Is there some type of sensor or thermostat switch that turns the fan on and off ? When I run the engine it seems like there is a lot of air from the fan coming through the radiator but more on the top then the bottom. I would like to make the fan run all the time if possible.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Anyone have a copy of the Freightliner service bulletin SS Code 3737 they can post?
Old 11-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Located and removed the 5 amp fuse as shown on socket F-15 hopefully everything works outClick image for larger version

Name:	20191128_114447.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	268138Click image for larger version

Name:	20191128_114125.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	268139Click image for larger version

Name:	20191128_114201.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	268140
Name:   panel_highlight%20(002).jpeg
Views: 293
Size:  8.6 KB
Old 11-29-2019, 04:20 PM   #123

Read all the replies and lots of great information so I am curious if the thread is still being looked at and if anyone has tried putting a toggle switch in the dash to by6the fuse to keep the fan on high when approaching steep grades to keep temp low and keep the fan from cycling from low to high? Was thinking this would help trans temp control as it takes so long to cool it back off once it gets in the 200 range? Am I over thinking this?
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I am thinking the same thing a toggle switch
Old 12-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #125

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Removed the 5 amp fuse and today drove about a hundred and seventy-five miles. Temperature stayed right at 190-192 the whole time. Couldn't really tell if there was any change in fuel mileage because the wind was blowing a gale.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Today I rigged up a switch to the 5:00 amp fuse makes it a lot easier to turn on and off so I don't have to take the covers off on the side of the road.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_091425.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	268756

Tags
cooling, cummins, fan, heating, thermostat