Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cummins ISB 350 Fuel Filter & water sep Filters changes

Been thinkin on changing my fuel filters, I've had it done 2 times already
first time by A Fleetwood Service and they had a very hard time getting the Cummins ISB started again. then when it did it ran rough, very rough
then at my 12,000 mile M2 Service I had it done again, this time no problems starting or running. I talked to them about how they did it
and was told they filled the fuel filter with fuel then installed it.
I asked Cummins that question and they said don't do it that way cause
fuel is not filtered, and I don't know if theu ever changed the water seperator filter inside the see thru bowl.

My questions is
1, does fuel from the tank go thur water seperator first of fuel filter first
before going to the engine?

2. How do "I" change the filters and in what order?
(don't want a situation where I have to tow it in to get system recharged or bleed)

3. suggestions to look out for?

I want to do this before my up coming 5,000 trip

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreicatied

Ron
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Pre-filling the new filter with fresh fuel prevents air-lock/hard starting. Usually there is a priming pump on top of the filter housing, and a bleed screw to allow the air to escape as you pump fuel into the filter. The procedure is in your Cummins engine book, which is separate from the general owners manual.
If my memory still works correctly, filling the filter through the outside holes (where the unfiltered fuel enters) filters the fuel when it flows into the center.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
All done and thanks for the help.
as it all turned out I decieded to go to Frieghliner and have it done
with the simpulation THey would instructed me along the way.
Reason
I started the morning myself with filling the water seperator with fuel and using the filter my book said, I got my wrenches, oil for o ring filter full of diesel a little screwdrive to undo the wire connector harness, I notice that it is a screen in connector not a slip on like the new filter, PROBLEM seems cummins ship the engine with one kind of filter and Frieghtliner changed to another. I'm pissed as I now have a new filter full on fuel and its no good to me at all $40 down the drain.
I gave up and went to freightliner with what I wanted ( instruction)
a chassis lube (18 points) and differentail checked.
they showed step by step how to do it and wasn't very neat about filling the filters full, I thought no air bubbles and entirely full
Nope 7/8 full and slap it on fuel filter and he said start it up.
it cranked about 3 times normal lenght maybe 4 to 5 seconds and it started and ran smooth. Next water seperator same thing clean clean bowl on bottom, oil o ring put 2 parts together fill it 7/8 or so full
and put it back on and plug in wire harness. cranks 4 to 5 seconds and ran smooth, drove home all is smooth and cost $160 for everything including all fitlers
I was always afraid to do this as the frist time I had it done at a Freightliner Oasis dealer they cranked and cranked many times and finally after 30 min of so it started and ran so rough and they tell me some BS about new engines now having elec lift pumps and that all was it was BS
acutally this is so simple I'd say less problems than changing the oil
for all those that gave me thier advice I thank you. I made domwthing out of nothing as I finally found out.
Ron K
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, fuel, water