Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Cummins ISB shutdown

Country B helped me with my alternator problem. On the same trip on the way back to Pa I pulled in for fuel after driving for 3 hours my engine shut down. It started right up and ran for 2 minutes. This repeated 15-20 times.I nursed it to the side 2 minutes at a time. No indicator lights except the alt light which I discussed in the thread yesterday. I drained both filters, checked all fluids, battery and alt output all good. This happened on Memorial day so no one available except a tow truck on the Pa turnpike. I decided to wait it out for a mobile mech in the morning. The next morning it fired right up and ran great. L drove it home 3 hrs with no problem. I bought this unit 2 years ago and never changed fuel filters, so I will start there but the intermittent thing has me concerned since we are leaving for Nova Scotia next month
merck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #2

Does it only shut down at idle?...or do you feel a shudder or experience “no performance” on accelerating (when it does occur)? We experienced similar symptoms that would infrequently throw a 2215 (low delivery fuel) code but often no code at all. We found it was the low pressure lift pump after over $5000.00 of troubleshooting by a good Freightliner/Cummins shop that took shortcuts and didn’t follow the manuals to the letter...We got a refund-thank goodness!
TMt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

I had no shudder before or after it started the next day
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by merck99 View Post
On my way home on Pa turnpike I pulled in for fuel after driving 3 hours. I pulled up to the pumps and engine died. I restarted and ran 2 minutes and died again. I limped it out of the way doing this 15 times. This was Memorial day so I was there for the night. I drained both filters, checked fuel levels, voltage output. I had no check engine light.I started it the next morning and drove it 3 hours home with no problem. I have owned it for 2 years and have not changed either filter (first diesel). I am starting with fuel filters but the fact that it ran great all the way home has me concerned.
Your symptoms and solution is consistent with clogged fuel filters. The fact that you drained them but did not replace them, at the time, could have resulted in enough flow to make the drive home. Two years is a bit long between filter changes, but a lot depends on usage and fuel. It's also not clear if they were changed just before you took ownership. Typically, most change their filters yearly as routine maintenance, or earlier if problems arise. Most carry spares while traveling.

One final note. If your ISB is on a Frieghtliner chassis, it may have a well hidden fuel screen that may be clogged or restricting flow. Without knowing the year of your coach, I cannot tell.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

Check the in line fuel filter that is tucked up inside the frame rails,, $30 and you should be good
Khi1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #6

It is an 06 holiday rambler vacationer, I believe on a roadmaster chasis
Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #7

Shugebus has a good suggestion...we replaced that too...and blew out all lines to the tank...it was still the low pressure lift pump...only a vacuum test revealed it was bad.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

I don't know what year your coach is, but if you have the VP44 injection pump, they are very dependent on a good lift pump.
Cy Behrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #9

Buying a scanguage D would be a good investment. You can plug it in, and see if you can pull a code off the scanguage. It also can be left plugged in and mounted where you can see it. It will monitor up to four functions. Its like adding more gauges, but will give you a code if the ecm detects a fault. Mine was having fuel problems. I was getting low fuel pressure code on the scanguage. I am in the process of changing the lift pump to the fass system. Hopefully it solves my issues. The vp44 is quite expensive to change if this doesn't solve it. My mechanic thinks the lift pump either wasn't working, or was only working intermittently. I am also heading to Nova Scotia next month. Wish us both luck.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #10

Cy is on target. A weak lift pump will cause damage to your injection pump. VP 44 are a known weakness especially in weak fuel delivery issues caused by a bad lift pump. Shuttering, slow starts and power loss are clues to a pending failure.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #11

I had a similar problem a couple week ago. I drove approx. 200 miles filled up with diesel. When I tried to leave the station it started fine, when I tried leaving it died, cranked up and died several times. Lift pump was bad. It was changed and it solved my problem
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #12

If I don't get a check engine light does it still show a code?
Old 06-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #13

It might still throw a code without a check engine light. The computer will also store active and inactive codes.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #14

Just changed the filters. The secondary still had the cummins grey paint on it from 2006.(never changed) Thanks again

Tags
cummins