Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

Cummins ISC 8.3 350 HP

I have this cummins engine in a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage MH. When getting home from recent trip got out and walked to back of coach to make sure i was back far enough. I could hear a loud noise coming from engine area, as soon as the air built up and compressor cycled the noise stopped. I went back and stepped on brake a few times and went again back and it was making the loud noise until the compressor built up air and cycled. I forgot to say that this is intermittent, I have started and messed with it for awhile trying to make it act up and nothing happens. I am trying to get it ready for 1600mi round trip so today I took it for 100 mi shake down. I pulled over at 25 mi and got out to check, no noise. I drove another 25 mi and stopped for fuel, before I shut off engine i went back and it was making the noise until built up air and cycled noise went away. I talked to cummins and they had no answers except to get it to a cummins service center. I am 300 miles from the nearest cummins dealer. Has anyone had this trouble with their's? Can anyone give me any advice as what to do?
grant3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #2

That's you air dryer purging air. Quite normal unless the dissicant is used up and it won't dry. Also the motorhome has a air valve on the side of the block that controls the cycle time by loss of air pressure usually approx. 20-25lbs differential between high and low. If you never serviced the air dryer or had a mechanic look at the govener then before your trip I would suggest that you do.
esaulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Since you say noise stopped when air pressure built up, My WAG is compressor failure, worse news is it's a bear to change.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I can tell when my compressor is loaded and when it is unloaded.......I can hear the difference around the rear of the Coach and especially when around the fresh air intake up on the rear of the Coach for the engine air filter intake. My compressor's crankshaft snapped in half and left me on the side of the road.......years back, replaced once under a recall from Cummins............and again by me.........Cummins would not help the second time.....
How loud is the noise? is this something you just noticed that has changed?
I replaced the hex head mounting bolt's with socket head Allen wrench bolt's for ease of changing if needed again........
Old 04-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #5

The noise is very loud, not like a rod knock, more like a piston slap.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

It is still pumping, so piston probably isn't cracked or broke.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #7

Ok, not normal.

The compressor only pumps air when the governor calls for it.

The governor calls for air at 90ish psi.

During the time the compressor is pumping air, the large line to the air dryer, the air dryer itself and the large line from the air dryer, to the tank, is under pressure. One of them is leaking.

When the governor senses full pressure, it stops the compressor from pumping and sends a signal to the air dryer to purge. That empties the 2 lines and the dryer. The air stays in the tank, due to a check valve. That is why the leak stops.

Many times the air dryer exhaust port, ( purge valve ) gets sticky, doesn't seal fully and leaks. That would be the first thing to check.

Next would be the 2 large lines for leaks. I'v seen the lines leak behind the clamps that hold the line on place. But those leaks wouldn't be intermitent.

The trick is to look for the leak while the pressure is building.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

I don't know how I could change it I can't even see it. They build the body around the motor so you can't even get to the motor.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3791 View Post
It is still pumping, so piston probably isn't cracked or broke.
Sound like the crank bearing's are going out.........if you look at the compressor from the bottom, you will see a 2-1/2" soft plug on the bottom of the compressor.........that is how they install it rod cap and nut's........when mine broke, it pushed out that soft plug, and there was Black oil all over everything.....clear to the roof on the rear, TOAD and bike were covered in black oil..........you can see the oil trail in the back ground of the photo coming off the highway ! it went 3/4 of a mile back up the road
You might want to get it checked out before traveling......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09837.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	159949  
Old 04-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #10

I was thinking maybe not getting enough oil. Yes I just noticed this problem after getting home after trip and was parking it.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Since you say noise stopped when air pressure built up, My WAG is compressor failure, worse news is it's a bear to change.
Where would I get a compressor?
Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Cummins, but I warn you, it's not a job for a novice. It'll be on the passenger side of engine .....you maybe able to see it through the rearmost compartment ...at least on mine you can.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I was thinking maybe not getting enough oil. Yes I just noticed this problem after getting home after trip and was parking it.
By design, it will get enough oil all the time. The compressor is fed with a oil line filling its crankcase, and then it just over flows back into the timing cover as it is bolted right to the back side of the timing cover......

http://salesandservice.cummins.com/locations
Old 04-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
You can go to Cummins quickserve and make a free account, get part #....

Tags
compressor, cummins