Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Cummins ISC 8.3 380 overheats on long pulls

I have a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH, 380 Cummins ISC. I've owned the coach for a year now. I'm having issues overheating on long grades.

I've changed out the coolant and power washed the radiator. I'm not losing any coolant and I've had the coolant and oil checked by a lab and all is normal. This engine runs hotter than my previous coach (Cummins ISB). Typically, the temperature runs anywhere between about 192 and 207 on flat to rolling ground. On a typical hill pull, it sometimes climbs to 215-217. If I get stuck behind a really slow moving truck I've had it climb to 225 which sets the high-temp alarm. Pulling over it quickly cools down. I've tried driving to the RPMs (keeping them around 2000-2200) and that actually seems to make it worse. If I can maintain 55 mph in about 5th gear it will do ok, anything slower and it quickly climbs.

I'm wondering two things. Is my radiator still plugged up with gunk (I have looked at the back side as best I can with a camera and it looks fine....I've seen what they look like plugged up), or, has my fan clutch failed?

I cannot hear that fan engage to a "roar" when it starts heating up. Although, I can't hear the engine at all in this coach as it's really quiet. However, I never see the temp start to climb, then suddenly drop as if the fan has kicked in. It just climbs and climbs until I either pull to the shoulder or top the hill and start to coast. Then, it'll quickly drop.

Does anyone know how you can test the fan clutch and tell if its working properly? I understand it's electrically activated.

Any help would be appreciated.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I have a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH, 380 Cummins ISC. I've owned the coach for a year now. I'm having issues overheating on long grades.

I've changed out the coolant and power washed the radiator. I'm not losing any coolant and I've had the coolant and oil checked by a lab and all is normal. This engine runs hotter than my previous coach (Cummins ISB). Typically, the temperature runs anywhere between about 192 and 207 on flat to rolling ground. On a typical hill pull, it sometimes climbs to 215-217. If I get stuck behind a really slow moving truck I've had it climb to 225 which sets the high-temp alarm. Pulling over it quickly cools down. I've tried driving to the RPMs (keeping them around 2000-2200) and that actually seems to make it worse. If I can maintain 55 mph in about 5th gear it will do ok, anything slower and it quickly climbs.

I'm wondering two things. Is my radiator still plugged up with gunk (I have looked at the back side as best I can with a camera and it looks fine....I've seen what they look like plugged up), or, has my fan clutch failed?

I cannot hear that fan engage to a "roar" when it starts heating up. Although, I can't hear the engine at all in this coach as it's really quiet. However, I never see the temp start to climb, then suddenly drop as if the fan has kicked in. It just climbs and climbs until I either pull to the shoulder or top the hill and start to coast. Then, it'll quickly drop.

Does anyone know how you can test the fan clutch and tell if its working properly? I understand it's electrically activated.

Any help would be appreciated.
Yes, I would be looking at the fan clutch and even the t/stats. I just replace one of my t/stats because it was broken. 215deg to hot and 225 is a killer. Mine broke at 26,000miClick image for larger version

Name:	20180512_161238.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	221772
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Yes, I would be looking at the fan clutch and even the t/stats. I just replace one of my t/stats because it was broken. 215deg to hot and 225 is a killer. Mine broke at 26,000miAttachment 221772

Where is the thermostat located? Upper radiator hose?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Where is the thermostat located? Upper radiator hose?
I don't have a Cummins but I would think it would be where the top radiator hose connects to the block. That is how my C9 cat is.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_181610.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	221795
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #5

I have 2 thermostats in the same housing under the top hose. See the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3202.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	221812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	221813  

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our 8.3 (2004) only has one thermostat. It's in the upper radiator hose coming out of the top of the block. I have no idea about the newer model engines but I would think the engine would not have changed that much. I would also look at the fan clutch or whatever regulates your fan speed.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

I have an 8.3 in my 09 Entegra and when the temp gets up to 215* or so, I can hear the roar of the fan clutch engaging and then the temps cool down quickly. If you don't hear the roar, I would look into the fan clutch.
Superbee Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #8

occasional overheating 2008 6.7 cummins

hey all:

I experienced some overheating on longer climbs right after buying my 2008 38F Bounder, but recently in the morning the temp would rise shortly after starting my days travel with ambient temps in the 50's. Slow down and temps would fall, speed up they'd rise. I'd play this game for several miles then temps would fall and wouldn't act up the rest of the day. The last time it seemed to linger longer. I pulled off the road and looked. The fan was turning but it didn't seem fast enough. A couple miles later the temps dropped. i pulled off the road and the fan seemed engaged more. After further diagnostics it appeared to definitely be the fan clutch. It appears I will have a new clutch to solve the problem. I'm having a new serpentine belt and new thermostat installed as well. 59200 miles. My research told me that fan clutch, if you will have them, seem to show up between 30-60k miles.
Hope this is solved. I hope to take off from the Frozen Tundra heading to Florida in couple weeks.
stevewitt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:06 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check your fan clutch (if there is one...) as that will cause this type of overheating problem.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:07 AM   #10

No one mentioned radiator yet. It feels to me it's more like a raditor problem. Because you mentioned, pull over quickly cools it down, then the coolant flow must be there. The T-stat has closed for the coolant to flow to rad. But your rad may be cloged. If your engine is coutinuously outputing lots of heat, it can't cool in time.
Before I replace my leaking and very cloged rad, I regularly see 200+ degrees. Now with a new rad and an added aux fan, I rarely see over 190, mostly 178 all the time.
Consider clean your rad with some type of radiator cleaner with water or just gatden hose. It's better to spray water opposite of the air flow, so that the debris sucked in can go out from the way in.
Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, heat