Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:02 PM   #1

Cummins ISL 370 chugged, died, and won't restart.

So, a couple of weeks ago I decided to start my '04 DSDP and let it run for a few minutes just to exercise the oil and fluids. I started it, idled it up, and let it run for about 10 minutes when it started to chug and finally die.

I thought it was gelled diesel since it's possible my last tank didn't have winter fuel.

So far I have checked the fuel pressure and I have good pressure to the intake side of the pump. I loosened the bleeder line on top of the pump I have fuel coming out but not with any authority.

Either the caps shot craps or I have a bad fuel shut off solenoid. I haven't been able to verify the shutoff solenoid as I haven't found a diagram of the caps pump and what all that wiring on it goes to.

Does anyone have a pump diagram with description of what those sensors are? Anyone have any ideas what or where to check next.

This is on a Cummins ISL 370 with a CAPS system.

What I do know is the lift pump is good, the fuel filter was changed, and there is a good pressure at the CAPS input. If I remove the filter and start the lift pump it would fill a bathtub in no time.

It will crank, rollover and start and gingerly run for a couple of seconds. It does smoke when that happens.

Any help appreciated.

Edit to add: I am using Blue Fire software there are no codes present.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Before you do anything, replace the fuel filters and try it again.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #3

One filter only on a DSDP. That being said taking the fuel line off at the caps and running lift pump there is a ton of volume and pressure. I did replace filter and made sure there was no restriction of fuel to the caps. It's from there I am having issues. I am reading that the diode (transient suppressor) could be the issue but I couldn't find it either. It's supposed to be bolted near the lift pump but I did not see it.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have any way of getting fault codes.

The Cummins Quickerve site has a lot of information, you have to create an account, it is free. Once you have an account you register your engines SN.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

The transient suppressor is mounted on the side of the engine between the starter and compressor, here's a picture and link to what it looks like
https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/...ressor-3944110
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Transient Suppressor.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	353764  
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:05 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
A bad transient suppressor should not cause a complete shut down. Its job is to keep voltage spikes out of the ECM. Those spikes could kill the ECM. When mine died, I got a shut down light but I was able t drive to Cummins. Sorry I don't remember the code. The suppressor is located where Jim pictured
Old 01-13-2022, 09:21 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Check your air filter and it's plumbing.. Just Might have a nest blocking or.. If you have squirrels.. Your filter flue has nuts!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:42 PM   #7

I would be very surprised if your Caps took a crap. Having said that, starting your diesel for 10 mins to let things circulate does your engine more harm. I would get a 5 gallon bucket and have it filled with fresh fuel. Rig up a hose (may need to buy some fittings) and see if the engine will run off the fuel in the bucket. That will eliminate bad fuel in the tank and a bad hose from your tank to filter.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #8

I have pretty well eliminated a fuel to the caps issue. I have good volume and pressure going into the caps. What I don't know is why the caps isn't pumping fuel to injectors.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
I have pretty well eliminated a fuel to the caps issue. I have good volume and pressure going into the caps. What I don't know is why the caps isn't pumping fuel to injectors.
Can you get it to run on a 5 gallon bucket of fuel?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 PM   #10

When testing the fuel pressure into the CAPS... Is it as the Lift Pump is 'lifting'....

If I read your response correctly. You have not replace the filter(?)... I'd do that and see what happens... Not too expensive, to eliminate as a cause to the problem!

Fingers crossed for you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
When testing the fuel pressure into the CAPS... Is it as the Lift Pump is 'lifting'....

If I read your response correctly. You have not replace the filter(?)... I'd do that and see what happens... Not too expensive, to eliminate as a cause to the problem!

Fingers crossed for you,
Smitty
Filter was replaced as a first step. That's how I knew there was plenty of volume and pressure. I left the filter loose, ran the lift pump until it filled the filter. Pressure is there as the lift pump is running. It has good pressure and volume to the input side of the caps pump. I cracked the bleed line loose on top of the head and the pressure and volume leaves a lot to be desired but that may be normal since fuel is running through different valves and passages in the pump.

By removing the input line at the caps and running the lift pump I made sure there was no air lock from the fuel tank to the caps.

Right now there's snow everywhere here so this project is on hold for a couple of days.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
Can you get it to run on a 5 gallon bucket of fuel?
There is no easy way to get to the fuel line from tank to do that.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
There is no easy way to get to the fuel line from tank to do that.
I'm talking about disconnecting tank line at filter and connecting another short line to that filter and to your bucket of fuel. This completely takes your tank and line from tank to filter out of the equation.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
I'm talking about disconnecting tank line at filter and connecting another short line to that filter and to your bucket of fuel. This completely takes your tank and line from tank to filter out of the equation.
I know what you mean. It isn't that accessable where the filter is mounted on the frame. Again, I can take the fuel line off at the caps pump and fill a bucket in no time. No air, plenty of pressure and volume.

Generator runs fine, fuel is just 3 months old at most and purchased at a Sapp Brothers truck stop.

Tags
cummins