Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2023, 09:14 PM   #1

Cummins isl 400 year interchange?

I have a new to me 2005 Western RV Alpine Coach with a 8.8L Cummins isl 400hp.

She has 90k on the clock. Two days prior to our first big trip in it the motor tanked. I have pulled the engine and just pulled the oil pan so far but the #4 cyl. piston and liner are in pieces in the pan.... So at minimum I clearly need a rebuild or more. I can see a chip and some scaring where the liner orings seal so I'm quessing I need a block.

I have noticed there are 8.8l and 8.9l and they seem to have the same hp rating. and then there seems to be some with a 450hp rating later. I have found several "low mileage" 8.9l 400hp and 450hp but these appear to all be emissions motors (one of the reasons i bought a 2005). The question is if I decide to go with a later ie 2017 motor is the engine the same? Can I use my non emission accessories ( ie turbo, Ecm etc.) and bolt them to the later motor? I'm not looking for more power I was happy with what I had but if I'm buying a used engine I would rather get one with low miles. Any advise would be great. I called the local Cumming dealer and since it is an issue between emissions and non they basically told me they can only recommend a pre 2007 spec engine. Any help would be great.
Chairable RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 11:25 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, I think it would be waaaay less work if you keep searching for a pre-07!
Old 01-31-2023, 12:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Was your engine one of the ISL engines with the defective wrist pins? (see sticky just above this thread for serial numbers)

I'd stick with a 2007 or earlier model and your life will be easier. What changed is the fuel injection, computer, and emission controls.

Some folks say ISL 8.8L and some say 8.9L, but the engine is the same. Actually, the 8.3L ISC is also very similar but the ISL has a longer stroke crankshaft.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Was your engine one of the ISL engines with the defective wrist pins? (see sticky just above this thread for serial numbers)

I'd stick with a 2007 or earlier model and your life will be easier. What changed is the fuel injection, computer, and emission controls.

Some folks say ISL 8.8L and some say 8.9L, but the engine is the same. Actually, the 8.3L ISC is also very similar but the ISL has a longer stroke crankshaft.

Yeah thanks to the awesome info on the forum I found the thread. It would appear my failure is in fact the wrist pin of doom failure but according to the serial number my engine was made a few months prior to the recall. I confirmed this with Cummins..... I guess one of my concerns is if I get another pre 2007 engine I don't want another wrist pin issue.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
https://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/...M121306/s1.pl?

They have other engines, give them a call.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In 2006 & 2007, Monaco used an ISL400 with no EGR, and of course no DPF. I have that 2006 ISL400 in my 2008 coach.

CM 850, CPL 1096. It is a HPCR motor, and as long as that is what is in your coach now. You may have the CAPS fuel injection. And, if you do, disregard the above.

Maybe you are lucky and have the HPCR injection and this one would work for you.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
In 2006 & 2007, Monaco used an ISL400 with no EGR, and of course no DPF. I have that 2006 ISL400 in my 2008 coach.

CM 850, CPL 1096. It is a HPCR motor, and as long as that is what is in your coach now. You may have the CAPS fuel injection. And, if you do, disregard the above.

Maybe you are lucky and have the HPCR injection and this one would work for you.

Thanks for the info, it is interesting how long it took some manufacture to use up engines they had. My engine is not a caps its common rail so sounds like it's the same as yours. Does your engine have a jake brake (not exhaust) mine does and that seams to be the other piece of puzzle. I'm not afraid to take the jake off of my engine but trying to find out if the heads are the same...
Old 02-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #8

Engine brake or exhaust brake was the choice of the coach builder. Monaco went cheap on this and ordered their ISL's with exhaust brakes.
*edit* I should correct this before someone jumps on me! I think they installed engine brake equipped ISL's on the Dynasty models.

Save all your engine brake parts, including the slightly taller valve cover.

They should bolt right onto the new head.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:36 PM   #9

Instead of trying to guess, why not just call Cummins and talk to them? This way you can get the correct information you need to replace to rebuild your motor.
My engine was built December 2006 and my RV was built in March 2007. Mine was sold in October 2007 but it is licensed as a 2008. It also has the Jake Break.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My Camelot has an exhaust brake. The CPL may, or may not, designate which brake it uses.

Like Ben said, save the old parts and use your existing Jake on your replacement engine if it doesn’t have an engine brake.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
Instead of trying to guess, why not just call Cummins and talk to them? This way you can get the correct information you need to replace to rebuild your motor.
My engine was built December 2006 and my RV was built in March 2007. Mine was sold in October 2007 but it is licensed as a 2008. It also has the Jake Break.

This is a great idea and I have tried. I must not be very lucky in getting the correct person on the phone. Our local Cummins dealer basically told me that they are to busy to answer "what if" questions... If I want to bring the coach to them they would happily give me a quote. Now don't get me wrong I know they are busy and like everyone else probably short handed but when I tried Cummins direct (national number?) again the only real info they wanted to give me was on a direct one to one replacement. If someone has a number or email to somebody that could or would answer question that would be awesome.. Luckily for us the IRV2 group has great info...
Old 02-07-2023, 10:18 AM   #12

Also, if you find an engine that already has the engine brake, those parts off your old engine, if kept as a complete kit, is worth good money!
Old 02-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #13

I too would stay with an 07 or older engine. Trying to adapt a post-emission engine to your MH would be a LOT of extra work, plus the space for the emissions stuff is not there in your MH.
RV salvage and surplus yards by state is not kept up to date, but better than nothing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:14 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
A member here added a engine brake to a ISC, uses the same valve train as ISL.... A little newer year model, but I'll think parts are same....plenty of pictures as well

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/adding-jake-brake-to-isc8-3-a-587139.html
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins