Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Cummins ISL egr block off plates.

Does anyone know where to find EGR block off plates for a cummins ISL?. (more specifically 2008 ISL 8.9 425hp.)
Googling gives me alot of results for blockoff plates for the ISX but nothing for the ISL.... Or maybe the engines similar enough that an ISX block off plate would work?

I could maybe make one if I can't find any. But finding one buy able would be nice....

Thanks.
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That is illegal.
Might want to check because I thought discussing illegal mods was not allowed
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Yes, and done often. EGR is the worst thing to happen to modern diesel engines.....and can be done w/o deleted DPF.

Just google it. There's more than a few options.
I don't want to post a link as often these threads seems to bring out strong opinions.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Yes, and done often. EGR is the worst thing to happen to modern diesel engines.....and can be done w/o deleted DPF.

Just google it. There's more than a few options.
I don't want to post a link as often these threads seems to bring out strong opinions.
Sure is the worst thing to happen to diesel engines. Dont get me started. Lol.

I've tried googling it, and I can't seem to find anything as far as block off plates for the ISL. Only things for the ISX/ISC etc.
Not sure what to search for. I've tried "ISL egr block off plates", "cummins 8.9 egr block off plates", not sure what else to try. So why I'm looking to see if anyone knows of anything.
Maybe there is a better site to ask thilese kind of questions on? But even then I can't seem to find any good diesel forums geared towards anything bigger than a pickup.

I'll keep searching.....
Current Rig: 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire 4085 (Spartan Chassis w/ Cummins ISL 425hp) towing 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4 |||| Former Rig: 2001 Fleetwood Bounder 36U (w/ Ford Triton V10) towing 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Old 12-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

Just doing that will throw a bunch of codes.
South Florida must have a bunch of diesel shops.
Contact them.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
ISL is almost identical to ISC
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Just doing that will throw a bunch of codes.
South Florida must have a bunch of diesel shops.
Contact them.
I contacted one that looked like it does deletes to see if they have anything. Still waiting for responce.
I also emailed dieselspec and asked them if they sell just the block off plates.

If I did block off plates I would do an ecm reprogram also to get rid of codes and make it work correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
ISL is almost identical to ISC
Good to know...
Old 12-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #8

You could just un-plug the electric control to the EGR valve. You will get a CEL but the vehicle will run with no issue. This has been done on the 6.7L ISB engines in the past. Why? You will have less exhaust gases sent to the engine with the exhaust valve unplugged. You can than reattached the plug if emissions checks or service is required in the future.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:53 PM   #9

My original idea was to delete the dpf, as I think it may be at the end of its life. And that would mean needing a ecm reprogram, which would probably program the egr valve closed anyway.
I hear the idea with the block off plates would be to keep the egr from getting dirty. I guess it wouldn't be too bad just letting the valve be closed and it wouldn't need to be blocked off, if exaust isn't flowing through it it wouldn't really matter if its dirty or not....
Old 01-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
2007+ 450HP ISL egr valve is on inlet to manifold, after cooler if I remember correctly. Disabling egr valve will more than likely plug cooler and valve with soot. Doubt it will be able to be put back into service to meet an annual smog test if required. ECM may throw code, Iím not familiar enough with ECM EGR monitored parameters.

Too bad about your DPF. I really dislike the early emissions bolt on systems to meet 2007 EPA standards.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #11

You may know this already but in case you don't, I believe you need to do some more research on the diesel emission systems that uses a DPF and EGR systems.

See the Cummins article I have attached. Although SCR is mentioned which is newer Technology than what is used on your vehicle. I would still read the article is it is relevant to the DPF.
https://www.fleetmaintenance.com/equ...tems-explained

The EGR really effects the intake cycle of the engine and not the DPF! Cummins used the EGR (and still does) as a means of controlling the NOX emissions that occur during the burn phase of the diesel fuel. Here is the explanation of the EGR system.
https://dieselnet.com/tech/engine_eg...%20application.

I hope this helps you?
Old 01-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies.

Probably should have mentioned this earlier, but we have been using theuglyfix egr performance module for the last ~13000 miles, which connects in lieu of the oxygen sensor to close the egr valve. So any soot buildup in the cooler caused by the closed egr valve has probably already started happening.
I had a look at those articles. I liked the images in the first one to give an idea of where the egr system is located on the engine. I understand that the egr and dpf systems are different things. If I delete the dpf that would require ecm reprogramming to disable the regen and to make the engine run best without it, and since the ecm will be getting reprogramed, might as well take advantage of that to have the egr correctly disabled, rather than tricking the altitude sensor.
At this point I am trying to compare advantages/disadvantages of just programming the valve closed, or if I should fabricate block off plates.
The soot buildup in the cooler shouldn't cause an issue unless I try to put the egr back in service(which I don't plan to do), right? Or could there be problems caused by the soot during use with the egr disabled? Its not like there would be any hot exhaust flow through the cooler, so that soot wouldn't catch on fire or anything, and the cooler shouldn't crack and leak if its not being under stress of cooling the exaust....
I would have no reason to put the egr back into service, no annual inspections where I am located. I would like to leave the physical egr components in the engine, in case for some odd reason it's visually inspected by California communists if we ever travel there, but I don't really need anything that I can easily enable/disable.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:25 PM   #13

The crossover pipe from the cooler to the egr has short piece of rubber hose. Just take a "I think" 1" pipe plug and grind the threads off, push it in the hose. Put a hose clamp on it securing it. You will have to take the 2 bolt flange off the egr. Get a new gasket.

The valve can not be trusted to seal or stay closed and after the ecm is programmed for no egr you dont want any egr.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:48 PM   #14

I believe the isl is also referred to as an L9
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins