Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cummins ISL oil check

I feel stupid for even asking this, but can someone enlighten me on the proper procedure on checking my oil's on my new to me 2008 Holiday Rambler with a 400ISL?
When I bought it, the salesmen was in such a hurry he skipped over the whole back end of the coach telling me he would call me because he had to leave. That never happened, and now he's not there anymore.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Steve
laveydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laveydude26 View Post
I feel stupid for even asking this, but can someone enlighten me on the proper procedure on checking my oil's on my new to me 2008 Holiday Rambler with a 400ISL?
When I bought it, the salesmen was in such a hurry he skipped over the whole back end of the coach telling me he would call me because he had to leave. That never happened, and now he's not there anymore.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Steve
Don’t know where the dip stick is on your coach, but you need to locate it. Have a clean rag ready.

With the coach level and the engine either cold or sitting for about 20-30 minutes if hot, pull out the dip stick and hold it level. Look at the oil on the stick to see if it is between the low/high marks. Wipe the stick with the rag and repeat.

If oil is below the lower mark, add one quart and wait about 5 minutes for it to drain to the pan. Note how much higher the level is now, after one quart, and use that as a rule of thumb as to how much more you may need to add. If one quart puts the level between the marks, stop. If not, add a little more, wait, and remeasure.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The marks on the dip stick may or may not indicate the proper level of the oil. If over filled, the excess will vent out of the vent tube/hose.

I spoke with Spartan and Cummins about the proper full/low quantity. They both said to ignore the stamped marks on the dip stick. The engines are shipped without a dip stick because they do not know how the engines are to be mounted and what the routing of the stick will ultimately result. Their method is to drain the oil and then add the amount that is listed in the engine service manual/handbook. Then insert the dip stick and note the position of the oil on the stick. Mark that level with a file to score the stick. That is the level that is normal.

I did that on mine and the scored mark is about 1/2 of the manufactured marks.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #4

Your dipstick will be a screw on , screw off cap design.

Do not simply try to pull it out, you will have to turn the T-Handle on the dipstick counter clockwise to unscrew it.

Reverse the procedure when replacing it, turn the T-Handle clockwise .

Give it a little tug to make sure it is tight.

Ditto for the Allison transmission dipstick.

Congrats on a great looking rig!!!

Tags
cummins