Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

Cummins ISL400 oil capacity question

I figured I would go right to the source, in this case Cummins, to ask about oil capacity of my engine. I called numerous times, after spending a cumulative 90+ minutes on hold I gave up. I tried their chat and got an agent, who through chat really didn't seem that sure of himself. I gave him my engine serial number, which is a 2005 ISL 400, ser. number 46448341. He says the engine holds 28 quarts total, and he's insistent that the oil filter holds 4 quarts just in the filter. That's 28 quarts total with 4 included in the filter. That seems high to me, the filter seems way too small to hold a full gallon. Anyone have another resource to check on total capacity including filter? I used to have my repair shop change the oil with synthetic. His shop rate is now up to $190 per hour, and the charge for a complete oil lube and generator service is approaching $1K. That's crazy, I can easily do it myself.

I'm thinking about going to conventional oil. We only drive 3000 to 5000 miles a year, and I always end up dropping perfectly good synthetic oil out long before its mileage limits due to the year passing. Rotella T4 in a 15w40 weight here in the Houston heat should do just fine. We don't use the rig in cooler weather.

I'm hoping when I get under there I find that the oil pan has an upper and lower plug so that I have a way to efficiently handle that large a quantity of oil. Any thoughts you guys might have on any of this would be very welcome. I do my cars all the time, it's time I start doing the oil changes and fuel filter changes on my RV engine and gen as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2022, 08:27 PM   #2

A vacume pump for the oil can be used on most things, and its a very controlled drain, then you can pull the plug to get the rest out. Sucking it out would give you a good idea of what is the amount.
The one i have can suck and evac liquids. Just put hose in oil dip stick tube and pump up, and walk away, and repump as needed, wile doing the filter.
They arent very expensive and would make the gen easy also.
A fumo type or other controlled drain plug can be put in after the drain plug is removed to make the next one/s easy and controlled. I would think one could be put on the gen also. One with a tip to put a hose on can easy direct to containers, shutting off between filling a container. Used laundry jugs work for me.
I put one on my truck, as it takes 3 gallons of oil, and makes changes very controlled to fill containers to go to a collection place or a shop that burns it for heat.
A shop manual for your rig should have all the info you may need, for capacities and grease points, as well as intervals.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 2003 built ISL 400 is the same, holds 7 gallons total (~1 gal in the filter).
But you can check by e-mailing care@cummins.com with your engine serial #. I got a prompt reply couple years ago.

I don't waste money on synthetic. Or shops on anything that I can do myself. I use Rotella T4 15w40 and change the oil every year.
Last summer I replaced the oil plug with Fumoto oil drain valve. Should make it easy to drain directly to the old 1 gal jugs. After my current trip I'll be changing the oil and see how it works.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:17 AM   #4

Follow-up on the Fumoto oil drain valve. It made the oil change the easiest & cleanest I've ever had in any vehicle, direct to old 1 gal jugs.... except the sheer volume of oil and the big filter.
I had purchased a piece of tubing ahead of time to fit snugly on the Fumoto outlet and cut that to proper length to reach into the empty containers.
That also makes it easy to take the oil sample.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #5

Mine gets 24L which equals 25.36 US quarts.

That puts my level on the dipstick just a bit below the full line.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #6

27.5 qts with filter in our 2005 ISL (which is installed in our 2006 coach because Tiffin buys ahead).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins