RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Cummins. ISM 500 Oil Pan Drain Plug Stripped

Hello, Anyone else run into this I have a Cummins ISM 500 HP. Took It to Cummins shop for maintenance & service. When they unscrewed the steel drain plug out, it pulled all the threads out of aluminum oil pan. New pan is $1,800 and 4 hours labor to change plus gaskets or around $2,475.00 When I looked online seems itís not that uncommon. Got unit home and looking at few different options. Just curious how wide spread this is.

Jons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

Google up time-sert , could not copy & paste on the phone

ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

A common issue with those aluminum pans.

There ARE kits that fix that without removing or replacing the pan.

Just do a search for: stripped drain plug Cummins ISM.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins drain plug inserts part number 68749 ($49), drain plug part number 3055069 ($10.80) and brass washer part number 67946 ($2.90) was purchased. Drain hole drilled/reamed out to 1-1/4″ and NPT tapped, insert installed with Loctite and now there is a new steel hole to accept a steel drain plug.
Busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busnut View Post
Cummins drain plug inserts part number 68749 ($49), drain plug part number 3055069 ($10.80) and brass washer part number 67946 ($2.90) was purchased. Drain hole drilled/reamed out to 1-1/4″ and NPT tapped, insert installed with Loctite and now there is a new steel hole to accept a steel drain plug.
Yup, mine is coming due for the insert as well.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Busnut, Anyone doing this without dropping the pan. If so best way to keep any chips out of pan. Thought about grease on tap and big shop vacuum right On hole while working on it. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #7

Depending on what you have left of threads, it might be time to consider a drain valve. Drop the oil out, let is sit for a day or two. Clean what is left of the threads with solvents and then epoxy (JB Weld) in the drain valve. Never a problem again.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I used the tap with grease. But just because I dump a half a gallon of oil in there and let it push out what chips the grease didn't hold on to.
Busnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #9

Hi Jons,

I am sure hoping you did not allow Cummins to fix it. The insert installation would work just fine and for LOTS less $$. Many of the inserts have been used on engines of all types.

Repair shops everywhere are seeking to up charge their customers and it does not seem to inhibit their senses of integrity one bit.

We recently took our Toyota PU to a local dealer (Dick Hannah) and when we stopped to pick it up the service writer had a serious and sad look on his face and said they could not finish the LOF on our pickup. "Your oil pan plug is not the factory Toyota plug, it is a plug made to deal with cross-threaded holes."
This "special" plug was not leaking but they refused to replace it, HOWEVER the guy had already printed out the costs of replacing the oil pan, new plug etc to the tune of $600+ dollars!!

I told the Service manager and his boss, to put in a plug so I could drive it home. That was begrudgingly done.
A replacement lower oil pan (Toyota) was just under $100 dollars and $0 for my labor.

The local Detroit Diesel/Allison dealer tried to rip us off a few years back.......

OP I apologize for side-tracking your thread but if this makes fellow RV owners more vigilant in spotting dealership thieves.........
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #10

Yeah they tried to get a work friend on an oil pan. I told him about repair plug . By some miracle ,when he went to install it it was perfectly fine. Catalytic convertor is big upcharge scam , I got this tick , must be catalytic convertor ,no analysis needed service writer magically just knows.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #11

On my steel ISM pan, there are several drain holes. Bottom, side. I would put a fumoto drain valve in another hole if the original hole threads are truly buggered up. Drain all oil, epoxy the old plug in the old bad hole.

Or heli coil. Zero need to replace the pan.
Who did the last oil change - same FL dealership? Ask them if they are going to replace the pan free of charge. I bet they suggest the above instead if they are paying the bill...
Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #12

My pan is aluminum with a side and bottom plug, side plug is up a few inches. Going to work on it over the weekend, see if any threads are still left, then make a decision which way to go. Won’t be a new pan for sure. If have threads enough to hold anything will use the Cummins adapter or a quick drain.

Tags
cummins