Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Cummins ISX 600 in a 2006 Monaco Sig Starting Question

In the Owner's Manual it states that when starting the engine, 1st just turn the key one click and leave it there for at least 15 seconds.

My question is why:
1. To pump fuel for starting
2. To pump oil in for lubrication for starting
3. To settle the electronics for starting
4. ???

Also, in regard to "pumping oil into the engine/valves", has anyone installed an "oil pump" to do just that? What has been your findings so far.

Thanks
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

On my ISL turn ignition on and wait for the glow light to go out, I assume you also have the preheat.
Sgt472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #3

Yes to #1, No to #2 and 3.
#4 To warm the intake air with electric heaters. That's basicly to limit smoke at cold startups.

Pre lubing engines is an option but with today's oil, probably not needed. Oil related failures are very rare.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
In the Owner's Manual it states that when starting the engine, 1st just turn the key one click and leave it there for at least 15 seconds.

My question is why:
1. To pump fuel for starting
2. To pump oil in for lubrication for starting
3. To settle the electronics for starting
4. ???

Also, in regard to "pumping oil into the engine/valves", has anyone installed an "oil pump" to do just that? What has been your findings so far.

Thanks
I turn the key on and wait for the light to go out as well. Then I engage the starter. If it has been sitting overnight or longer the starter would spin for 10+ seconds before the engine would start. I asked Cummins about this and was told to not spin the starter for more than 5 seconds then back off for 5 seconds while the fuel pump builds pressure back up. I now do this and it catches almost instantly the second time.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my ISL, I wait for the heater light to go out and the red engine warning. If I do not wait for the eng light to go out ,it will only move at idle speed. It is just another 5 seconds.

Tags
cummins, monaco