Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #99

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Post from 2015 on a Trucker's Forum:

Have a 2009 motorhome with an ISX 650, 2nd owner. Turbo went out at 11,000, repaired under warranty.

Broke a valve off in #6 at 19,000 miles again under warranty, now at 44,000 miles it again broke valves in #5 and 6, liner in 4 also needs replacing. Cummins admits that they have a problem with the engine breaking valves and have new heads and valves to "fix" it. Bill is right at $29,000 and so far no word on Cummins covering any of it. Cummins NW says they have seen 4 of the ISX's do this, 2 MH's and 2 class 8's so it's not uncommon.

Some more reading: Cummins ISX History and Techical Data- Capital Reman Exchange
That is my post from a year or so ago on anther forum. Since then I have heard of several more ISX failures.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #100

Does this problem only occur in the old dual cam shaft versions prior to 2010? Has anyone experienced this problem in the 2013 redesign and newer engines?

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #101

When I mentioned the oil cooler bypass valve i only mentioned it because it was easy to change and it may even come in the gasket kit. I mentioned #5 hole because it’s easy to check. Very very unlikely that it has or will move at 5000 miles a year for the foreseeable future. EGR coolers and DPF problems are with any engine so equipped I didn’t mean to add to your frustration with what I thought was helpful advice from someone who has worked on the engines since there inception. I will keep my thoughts to myself going forward.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know or know how to find out how many of these engines are in service, ISX 600 or 650 dual cam, within the problem age range, motorhome or other applications?

It would be great to get a statistical perspective on how frequently or large the problem is.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #103

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Does this problem only occur in the old dual cam shaft versions prior to 2010? Has anyone experienced this problem in the 2013 redesign and newer engines?
There is a recent report of an ISX12 breaking a valve and I think that's the newer SOHC design.
Trying to verify that now.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
When I mentioned the oil cooler bypass valve i only mentioned it because it was easy to change and it may even come in the gasket kit. I mentioned #5 hole because it’s easy to check. Very very unlikely that it has or will move at 5000 miles a year for the foreseeable future. EGR coolers and DPF problems are with any engine so equipped I didn’t mean to add to your frustration with what I thought was helpful advice from someone who has worked on the engines since there inception. I will keep my thoughts to myself going forward.
As an ISX owner I very much appreciate your experience and insite on these engines. Thanks
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gentlemen, I know that we are discussing the ISX engine problems, but have any of you heard anything about the Cummins ISO engine having any malfunctions? If so pm me, so we don't go off on a tangent.
Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
Gentlemen, I know that we are discussing the ISX engine problems, but have any of you heard anything about the Cummins ISO engine having any malfunctions? If so pm me, so we don't go off on a tangent.
Greatly appreciated.
Cummins does not make a "ISO" engine........ISL maybe?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I will check to see. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Isv or isl? Is it a new engine, again if you have info, please pm me. Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #109

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ISL did have some wrist pin problems with a block of engines and a few outside that range
Cummins did have a "fix" (warning light) and covered them under warranty. No so with the ISX valve problems.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #110

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, Mr D. I am very aware of Cummins lack of assistance with the ISX engines. Especially if they were manufactured in Brazil.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #111

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
Yes, Mr D. I am very aware of Cummins lack of assistance with the ISX engines. Especially if they were manufactured in Brazil.
My ISX was made in the US but still blew up.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
No, I appreciate your input! I am not bashing you....just frustrated with the product! Any input is appreciated!! Since you have experience with the ISX...I am wondering have you driven one with a non - VGT turbo? I am wondering do the off road (if there is such a thing) ISX engines have EGR? If you were to remove the EGR for testing, would you need to put a test pipe in place to flow the water to the block from the pump?
08Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, valve