Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Cummins New to me

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	329674Figuring out some of this stuff as I go. What are these two things? Canister on the left. The other maybe an indexing for Top Dead Center behind that cap?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	329675
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Cummins New to me

Hydraulic canister for hydraulic fluid - runs Power Steering and side hydraulic radiator fan motor - if equipped.

The other one is the oil fill location for an ISL. simple as that. Edit Or ISC - I need to look at the pictures more closely.

Hope this helps
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

Yes the injector pump has to be aligned to TDC , before removal to insure proper timing of a replacement unit.
The oil fill elbow is a quarter turn to remove.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2021, 05:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Hydraulic canister for hydraulic fluid - runs Power Steering and side hydraulic radiator fan motor - if equipped.

The other one is the oil fill location for an ISL. simple as that. Edit Or ISC - I need to look at the pictures more closely.

Hope this helps
Brian

Too bad there isn’t a sight window, how is the level check? Can it be drained and changed and if so what is the recommended fluid?
-Todd
Old 05-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #5

If your talking about hyd. reservoir should be in your binder. But should be AW46 hyd. fluid or trans fluid.
Most have a dipstick on expansion plug these sticks have been known to fall off occasionally. I might get flamed but a quart over under on hyd. reservoir not huge deal.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
If your talking about hyd. reservoir should be in your binder. But should be AW46 hyd. fluid or trans fluid.

Yes, read your manual or get copy from someone with a similar coach unless there is a sticker on the reservoir identifying the proper fluid.

There will be filters (usually 3) stacked in the reservoir. You will need the filters and a top gasket and couple of gallons of the correct fluid.

There is a dip stick on top for checking fluid level.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I’ll look into it further I just thought I’d post a question and this probably is another one of those forgotten filter and fluid changes, that most aren’t aware of. -Thanks to all that has and will reply!
Todd
Old 05-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My Owner's manual for the hydraulic fluid/filters is almost identical to yours with the typical errors. The filter change should be 15,500 miles/once per year. Dexron III.
I got a manual pump from local auto parts store similar to the attached pic. I pumped enough old fluid out to get the 3 old filters out. I figured less chance introducing dirt into the system and leaks if removing a hose. Then 3 or 4 gal new fluid.
If you don't have a manual, you can download one from this link. I actually prefer the .pdf as I can easily search for a particular item or key word.
https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual oil pump.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	329857  
Old 05-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
So I have a 2002 Windsor PKD that I purchased in late 2008. Back in 2010 Monaco was in the middle of the bankruptcy and had left a backdoor open to the dealer service website which basically allowed them to look up parts for individual rigs based on SN/VIN. I took the opportunity to down load ~+100 parts pages. Wish I had done more but the ones I got are still useful.

Also got a copy of the build sheet which lists most of misc components, which I used to search and save operating, pats, and troubleshooting manuals. Lots of good information out there.

As to your question on the hydraulic reservoir, it serves both the steering and the cooling fan. Here is a the parts page showing the Monaco PN and the vendor PN. It takes 3 filters, they were originally made by Nelson but now are made by another company, can't remember who!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Steering Reservoir.pdf (65.1 KB, 20 views)
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That’s great Jim like I said probably another forgotten fluid and filter change. I have all the manuals but sometimes it’s easier to ask and look up later. That’s some great info appreciate that!
Old 05-30-2021, 06:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It is listed in my manual on page 298 along with the filter number.

This thread has prompted me to replace my filters as it's been a while

I've been checking availability, lots of places carry but most out of stock. Good Luck
Old 05-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a Roadmaster Chassis Lube guide I have downloaded to my files. Pretty much lists everything along with frequency.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roadmaster Lube_Guide_Complete.pdf (2.82 MB, 37 views)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:30 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Here's a Roadmaster Chassis Lube guide I have downloaded to my files. Pretty much lists everything along with frequency.

A little late at getting back, thanks for that Lube Guide that will come in handy. BTW I ordered and received my three stack filters last week and will get around to doing a drain and fill at some point. I have a 12v pump from my boating days I used to change oil, it will pull down the fluid although I know it won’t be warm. Many have suggested to drain lower than just below the top of the bottom filter?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:23 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
A little late at getting back, thanks for that Lube Guide that will come in handy. BTW I ordered and received my three stack filters last week and will get around to doing a drain and fill at some point. I have a 12v pump from my boating days I used to change oil, it will pull down the fluid although I know it won’t be warm. Many have suggested to drain lower than just below the top of the bottom filter?

I was puzzled by the whole hydr tank and filter design and Owner manual. No drain plug and no matter how you drain the oil and change the filters, you are pretty much guaranteed to get contaminants into the clean side if there is any.
But maybe Monaco assumed that there would not be any contaminants ever.
So I did what the book said other than used a pump to get enough oil out to change the filters.
Next time I'll need to open them up to examine.

Tags
cummins