Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins service

After taking my coach out of storage this year, I had the unpleasant surprise of getting multiple Engine errors codes (Mostly 647-13 with a Stop engine light). I was able to clear the codes and get the engine running without a problem.

I'm running a Cummins ISB and the error codes says a VGT problem. After talking to different shops they said it might be a seizure of the Variable vanes in the turbo and it could be caused by the fact that the engine is not running for about 4 months a year.

I have and extended warranty which agreed to cover the turbo replacement (Aprox. $6K). I decided to get the job done by the Cummins shop in Montreal and they said the engine is still under the original Cummins warranty and that I would have to cover the $100 deductible. It was completed in one day. What a great service they have!

Now I have a question, did anybody experienced turbo vane seizure because you're not running the MH regularly??? The Cummins tech told me that he sees that problems quite often on MH...
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I park my cummins ISC for 5 months each year, and have
done so for 5 years. I now have 62,000 miles and zero
problems. I DO use only Mobil One synthetic oil for turbo diesels.
It is my opinion that regular oils may not be as good for
the very high temps you get with a turbo. I also am sure
to give the turbo adequate time to cool before shutting down,
3-5 minutes of light usage. Just my opinion.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Turbo problems with the VGT Turbo Charger on the ISB engine are not uncommon - NOTE: ISB and VGT Turbo. I had to have mine replaced because of problems with the variable vane controlling mechanism. Out of warranty, Of Course. Engine oil is immaterial to this situation. FWIW, I use either Mobil Delvac 1300 Super and Delo 400 Multigrade 15W40 oils which I have used in regional and OTR truck fleets I have managed.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Turbo problems with the VGT Turbo Charger on the ISB engine are not uncommon - NOTE: ISB and VGT Turbo. I had to have mine replaced because of problems with the variable vane controlling mechanism. Out of warranty, Of Course. Engine oil is immaterial to this situation. FWIW, I use either Mobil Delvac 1300 Super and Delo 400 Multigrade 15W40 oils which I have used in regional and OTR truck fleets I have managed.
Yes,

oil does not appear to be part of the problem, I'm running Amsoil Synthetic 15w40. According to the tech, one of the issue is the mix of DPF and EGR and long storage. There is quite a lot of carbon deposit in the turbo who freezes the vanes over time.

Are you saying that an ISC or bigger do not have the problem? Do they have VGTs?
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
"Are you saying that an ISC or bigger do not have the problem? Do they have VGTs?"

Can't say for sure that the ISC or other engine series use a VGT thus my wording. A visit to the Cummins Engine site should answer that question.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, service