Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #1

Cylinder wash

My Caterpillars had an idle adjuster to keep speeds at 1100rpm. I can't find anything similar on my 8.3 Cummins. It idles at 800. Not sure that's good.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
That is the normal idle speed, anything above that is
hard on the transmission when shifting as well as when
stopped in gear.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #3

Age is a determining factor, I don't have a high-idle feature either, I do have an electrical schematic to install one for my Spartan chassis W/ISC engine. Those MH's that do have the feature; it's usually built-into the turn signal lever as part of the cruise control. If you think that schematic will be useful, I'll post it or send by PM,whichever would be best.

Extended low idling does exactly as you state, at low idle a diesel engine will not obtain normal operating temperature either.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #4

Cruise Control on, "set" button goes to one idle speed (1,000 ?) "resume " button goes higher (maybe 1,200). No sure on actual speeds, memory sucks, lol.
I use it a lot to help warm up before we head out.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

Mine works through the cruise control. Turn on CC, run the rpm up where you want them and hit SET. To go back to an idle step on brake or turn off CC.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac99 View Post
That is the normal idle speed, anything above that is
hard on the transmission when shifting as well as when
stopped in gear.
You don't drive it with the higher speed, it's used during warm-up and for varying idle while running for whatever reason (ex: building air) so the cylinders don't wash down with fuel. The way Cummins "usually" does it with the cruise "set" button, it would cancel as soon as you use the brake (like to shift into gear) anyway. Great feature if used correctly.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Mine works through the cruise control. Turn on CC, run the rpm up where you want them and hit SET. To go back to an idle step on brake or turn off CC.
2 stroker
Mine has a preset rpm using "set" and a higher preset by using "resume", but same thought.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #8

Cylinder wash and wet stacking is from the old days when fuel injectors were mechanically controlled.

With modern electronic fuel injectors, thats not going to happen.

What year is your engine ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Cylinder wash and wet stacking is from the old days when fuel injectors were mechanically controlled.

Good to know
Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
Mine has a preset rpm using "set" and a higher preset by using "resume", but same thought.
Standard on most
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
You don't drive it with the higher speed, it's used during warm-up and for varying idle while running for whatever reason (ex: building air) so the cylinders don't wash down with fuel. The way Cummins "usually" does it with the cruise "set" button, it would cancel as soon as you use the brake (like to shift into gear) anyway. Great feature if used correctly.
This Cummins sldeshow states cylinder wash is real.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 06-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #12

No need to idle long enough to cause cylinder wash unless stuck on the highway for some reason and even then it would be minimal
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #13

Best way to avoid it is: avoid idling.

After the air pressure is up, drive slowly away.

It makes the neighbors less testy, too, FWIW.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

What year is your engine ?
Cummins idling myths from June 2016