Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #1

DEF in short supply

Article in Jalopnick today:

Freight trucks worldwide are starting to be sidelined by a urea shortage. A wide-ranging variety of factors, from rising fertilizer and natural gas prices to an export prohibition, have strained the world’s supply of urea.
Urea is the primary component of the diesel exhaust fluid necessary in ensuring that diesel combustion engines function within nitrogen oxide emissions standards across the developed world. A urea-water solution is injected into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles before the gasses pass through a catalytic converter.
Urea is mainly produced with coal or natural gas as a byproduct of industrial ammonia production. The recent rise of natural gas prices has caused a slowdown in urea production. Along with the increased cost of an ingredient, the factories themselves have had to cut output due to electricity rationing in the world’s largest supplier, the People’s Republic of China.
Urea is also an ingredient in fertilizer. The short supply and rising urea prices have also caused an increase in fertilizer prices. The Chinese government has distributed massive subsidies and banned urea export to assist its farmers and secure its food supply.
South Korea relies heavily on imports of urea from China. Truck drivers have had to turn down jobs if it required running their engines either too long or too harshly as it could mean running out of urea. The country even resorted to airlifting urea from Australia. Now, Australia is at risk of running out of urea. Eighty percent of Australia’s urea supply is imported from China
This shortage has the potential to continue cascading out of control and affect even more countries. South Korea was able to negotiate a short-term deal with China to resume exports, but how likely is it that China will reach similar agreements with other countries and stabilize the global supply?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 09:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ive read about that but all the stores around here have stacks of it. Maybe there’ll be a delayed response....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #3

I've been hearing rumblings about a DEF shortage, but didn't pay too much attention. So I just did some reading up on the subject, and this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, so to speak.
There is a shortage, according to the news reports and articles that I read; and it could be a major, dramatic issue in much of the world within weeks or months.
If anything can wake Americans up to our lack of independence and our dependency on other countries (who do not like us), this may be it. I sincerely hope that it is not as bad is it seems because it will be rougher on most of us than we have ever seen.
On the upside; DEF, urea, fertilizer and ammonia can and are being made in this country. I mention these because DEF is made from urea, which is made from ammonia, which is made from natural gas or lpg normally. Fertilizer is made from ammonia. (To be clear, I am no expert or chemist, I just read some informative articles tonight).
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:34 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I started worrying three weeks ago about our snowbird travels, so started looking. Walmart DEF was out of stock central & south Ohio, KY, and TN. Located 6 jugs, so I'm good for this winter. Tonight still very limited availability at Walmarts throughout the country.

Search this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-13-2021, 01:00 AM   #5

We don't need urea to operate our diesel engines. The world was doing just fine without it. Then came the EPA. I don't know how we ever allowed these bumbling bureaucrats to design our engine control systems.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:49 AM   #6

With permission of the EPA the use and need for DEF can be turned off and eliminated. Ain't going to happen. DEF is the new toilet paper. Shortages caused by truck emission standards, high fuel costs, inflation, independent trucker lockouts, vaccination status, and DEF shortages. It's not getting better any time soon. </end rant>
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #7

FWIW - was in Costco yesterday and they had pallets of Blue Def.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=TurtleKent;6015380]I started worrying three weeks ago about our snowbird travels, so started looking. Walmart DEF was out of stock central & south Ohio, KY, and TN. Located 6 jugs, so I'm good for this winter. Tonight still very limited availability at Walmarts throughout the country.

WalMart is often out of a lot of automotive things. I try to buy my Rotella 15W40 because it is very cheap there there but they are almost always out. I don't believe they move fast to restock auto parts and supplies. I often buy my oil and air filters there for my vehicles. I estimate about a 65% chance they will have everything I need when I go there. I often have to pick up the rest at the overpriced Auto Zone nearby. As for Blue DEF I did notice Loves was completely out of it on I-10 on the few stops I made on my way to Big Bend from Houston. I bought the Love's brand and it seemed to work just fine.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #9

NAPA has it on sale right now, think I will check tomorrow.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
We don't need urea to operate our diesel engines. The world was doing just fine without it. Then came the EPA. I don't know how we ever allowed these bumbling bureaucrats to design our engine control systems.
Because they claim it's for your own safety.
CAT Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:10 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
WalMart is often out of a lot of automotive things. I try to buy my Rotella 15W40 because it is very cheap there there but they are almost always out. I don't believe they move fast to restock auto parts and supplies.
Coincidentally, I was in my local walmart this week and noted the shelves that normally hold DEF and Rotella are completely empty. They have not had DEF in an appreciable quantity since last summer. Not having the oil was a surprise though.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:10 AM   #12

My local places are pretty empty too. I ordered some from Walmart last night online and should have it in a few days. I usually don't keep a lot around because it does have a shelf life.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #13

DEF in short supply

Went to the local NAPA today. They have the OWI Blue DEF on sale for $12.99. However, they also had three pallets of Oilzum DEF, which is made in Massachusetts and sold locally in New England, for $10/jug. He said they get it in weekly from the plant so it’s pretty darn fresh although I don’t know how to decipher the date code.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymanedge View Post
My local places are pretty empty too. I ordered some from Walmart last night online and should have it in a few days. I usually don't keep a lot around because it does have a shelf life.

Empty in Florida Walmart And Georgia