Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
DEF still running cool.

Just returned from a 1500 mile and a 350 mile venture with our 2021 45OPP Allegro Bus and doing all that we can to prevent a set of DEF fault codes from occurring. I have insulated our DEF compartment away from engine and radiator heat. I have taped a note to the dash warning against quick engine starts. I top off DEF fluid to full every evening that we travel. I have installed a portable remote temperature sensor to the exterior of the DEF Tank with the readout device sitting in my cupholder by the dash. I have observed tank exterior temps on the last trip to not exceed 101 degrees F with OAT ranging from 85 to 95 degrees. I have a 5/8" in-line shutoff valve ready to install in line with engine coolant supply to DEF unit if I see DEF tank temps rising above approx. 10 to 15 degrees above OAT. I will keep our diesel fuel tank level above half full at all times to allow us to drive 300 to 400 miles to a repair shop, campground or home. I am limiting my engine idle to a minimum. I say my prayers . Still going camping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you monitor your DEF temp on your dash gages or do you take your temps from a remote you have installed on your tank. On my 2019 bus I can monitor the DEF temp on my dash gages. No too sure that it is very accurate.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Our remote temp sensor is in contact with plastic def tank about halfway down the side . Not very scientific but if 170 to 200 degree coolant temps were circulating thru def tank ,you could almost bet that the tank wall would be hotter than OAT ambient. The coach is new to us and I have not figured out how to view the def temp with the new digital dash. Could use some help there. If anyone knows of something more that we all can do to help prevent def faults , please add in your thoughts. Stay safe.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my dash I highlight the right side of the dash with the thumb wheel that is to the left of the drivers seat. Then you can go thru the menu to settings. Go to settings then you can go thru the options such as oil temps/transmission temps/ DEF temps and so on.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #5

Your over thinking this. Just drive it.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #6

Why and what purpose do you think engine coolant temps of 180-210* is going to help cool the DEF down to any where close to ambient temps?
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Def Fluid Still cool.

My purpose of installing a temporary temperature sensor and monitor at the DEF Tank was to watch for accidental failure of temperature switch that controls engine coolant to flow engine radiator fluid to pass through the heating loop inside the DEF Tank. If I understand the process correctly, the temp switch only opens when OAT(ambient) gets down close to 12 degrees(where DEF Fluid freezes). If the temp switch opens prematurely and 170 tp 210 degree radiator fluid heats up DEF fluid , it will cause ammonia gas which damages the Shaw DEF Sensors , possibly sending fault codes. If I observe high temperature from DEF Tank , I will then install a shutoff valve to keep radiator fluid away from DEF Tank. Right now ( or last 2 trips) our 2021 45 OPP seems to be working as designed as the DEF Tank is running just a few degrees above ambient. Not sure if this answers the question or not. Stay Safe.