Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Did I screw up......engine coolant?

I have a Cummins ISB 6.7L engine in my 2013 Fleetwood Excursion. Is this a wet sleeve engine by the way?

Pics of coolant in question below.

Anyway, I had my cooling system flushed and refilled a couple of years ago at a Freightliner shop. They used Fleetcool EX CC2746, 15 gallons.

I have a coolant leak (now fixed), rig did an auto shutdown due to low coolant. I drive to the Freightliner shop and they don't have the Fleetcool EX CC2746 as described above and instead point me to Detroit PowerCool Plus Extended Life OAT Diesel engine coolant. CumminsCare site says coolant for my engine should meet spec CES 14603, which this coolant does per the label on the back of the jug. I put in 1.5 gallons of this coolant into my system to top it off.

Later I talk to Cummins tech support, they say nope, shouldn't have mixed the Fleetcool EX with the Detroit PowerCool OAT because the PowerCool is an OAT coolant. Can mix OAT coolant with the Fleetguard coolant because of problems with corrosion inhibitors or words to that effect. He says I should be OK as long as I didn't exceed 20% of my coolant capacity with the Detroit PowerCool OAT liquid, but this mix isn't ideal. I put 1.5 gallons into a 15 gallon system so I haven't exceeded the ratio.

OK, so now I'm a little nervous. I call Freightliner and look into having the cooling system flushed. Not cheap. They say waste of money, they mix these two coolants all the time no problem. I go on to a FaceBook forum and start Googling. I read things like "gelling could occur" and "severe engine damage" by mixing this OAT coolant with "old coolant" but opinions seem to vary.

Freightliner and Cummins seem to think I am OK, but am wondering what the forum thinks? A coolant flush will likely cost me 500 bucks, but obviously that's cheaper than ruining an engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200812_000030.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	304707   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200812_000039.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	304708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_102915_01001.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	304709  
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

The 6.7 is not a wet sleeve engine. You should flush the system and refill. I have seen them gel it is not pretty.

Originally I thought you were saying they are both OAT but I now see they are not.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

To tie a ribbon around this thread in case anyone else has a similar problem, another forum sent me the attached Fleetguard technical bulletin. In it, the following is stated:

Fleetguard coolant additives and coolant products are fully compatible with all known competitive products . Our coolants, whether conventional SCA or OAT (organic acid technology) inhibited, are compatible with each other as well as the various conventional and OAT coolants of other manufacturers

I guess I feel a lot more comfortable about the mixing now, however I am still not going to purposely do it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Coolant Compatibility White Paper.pdf (76.8 KB, 119 views)
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure if this helps, I have a 2015 Tiffin with a 450 cummins. It has been in a Cummins shop for 3 weeks. The problem was freeze plugs corroded in the head and came out. Bad coolant caused the issue. This is the shop telling me this. I am driving down the road and get a code (Coolant Level Low) I pull over and coolant is pouring out of the block. Later after being towed it was pouring out of the head. There were 3 freeze plugs had corrode and a least 2 more getting that bad.
mrat240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #5

I do not believe your above quote of capacity (coolant) is correct. The FL manual shows the 6.7 having a capacity of 12 QUARTS. No way it's 15 gallons.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
I do not believe your above quote of capacity (coolant) is correct. The FL manual shows the 6.7 having a capacity of 12 QUARTS. No way it's 15 gallons.
My Newmar Ventana w/ Cummins ISB 6.7 on Freightliner chassis is 10 gal + the front heater core and runs.
Just had mine changed and FL was adament about what coolant was required due to their sensors. Very different than Cummins recommendations.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
I do not believe your above quote of capacity (coolant) is correct. FCCC advices the following:
Info per Freightliner:

On October 25, 2016 at 2:39 PM fcccservice@daimler.com wrote:

Dear Customer,
Approximate coolant capacity is 38 qts.

Coolant should consist of:
1. 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol.
2. HD for diesel engines.
3. NON extended life
4. With SCA's (supplemental coolant additives).

Name brands may be Shell Rotella Fully Formulated or Fleet Charge or
possible others that consist of the criteria above.

Sincerely,
John Michaels Sr
FCCC Representative
Old 01-04-2021, 11:52 PM   #8

Where the 12 quart figure came from is in my copy of Recreational Vehicle Chassis Manual which came with my former 2014 38' Ventana LE (340 6.7). It states on page 15.1 in the Specifications section the coolant Volume at 12 qts. This figure may then reference that coolant within the engine itself. The difference of 12 gallons in the OP's coach's heater lines, etc. is pretty remarkable in my view. (Maybe a case of dealer padding the bill? Pardon my skepticism ).

Thanks for the correction above Mevman. I now have a better idea of quantity for my own 2017 3436 VT.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #9

I see the FL Cummins lisating of 12 Qts as noted above but this HAS to be an error or meant to be engine alone w/o the radiator & rest of the system.

I just had mine flushed & refilled and the shop reported draining very close to the 10 Gals w/o the heater core & hosing. Hope the following clears this up.

I have seen the 38 qts or 38 l listing before but can't find it now.
This is right from the Freightliner presentation Knowing Your Chassis.
I'll attach Pg 40 where it appears.[ My highlighting]

Approximate COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITIES Does not include heater core or
other auxiliary systems added by coach manufacturer.

• Cummins ISB - Rear Radiator 36 Qt. or 9 Gallons.

The full presentation can be found at
https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/downloads/
Knowing Your Chassis V2

Here's another excerpt and link

"Freightliner specs on this coach show a cooling capacity of 10 gallons, but that doesn’t include the hoses and heater core for the coach heater, which likely adds another 2 gallons for a total of 12 gallons. At each drain we recovered about 7 gallons, or 58 percent of the total capacity. So we needed 3 times 7 gallons of distilled water (21 gallons) for flushing and then 2 to 3 more for the final fill (a total of 24 gallons)."

https://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/c...2012%20gallons.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Knowing-Your-Chassis-v2 Pg 40 Coolant.pdf (134.0 KB, 46 views)
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, engine