RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Did I screw up......engine coolant?

I have a Cummins ISB 6.7L engine in my 2013 Fleetwood Excursion. Is this a wet sleeve engine by the way?

Pics of coolant in question below.

Anyway, I had my cooling system flushed and refilled a couple of years ago at a Freightliner shop. They used Fleetcool EX CC2746, 15 gallons.

I have a coolant leak (now fixed), rig did an auto shutdown due to low coolant. I drive to the Freightliner shop and they don't have the Fleetcool EX CC2746 as described above and instead point me to Detroit PowerCool Plus Extended Life OAT Diesel engine coolant. CumminsCare site says coolant for my engine should meet spec CES 14603, which this coolant does per the label on the back of the jug. I put in 1.5 gallons of this coolant into my system to top it off.

Later I talk to Cummins tech support, they say nope, shouldn't have mixed the Fleetcool EX with the Detroit PowerCool OAT because the PowerCool is an OAT coolant. Can mix OAT coolant with the Fleetguard coolant because of problems with corrosion inhibitors or words to that effect. He says I should be OK as long as I didn't exceed 20% of my coolant capacity with the Detroit PowerCool OAT liquid, but this mix isn't ideal. I put 1.5 gallons into a 15 gallon system so I haven't exceeded the ratio.

OK, so now I'm a little nervous. I call Freightliner and look into having the cooling system flushed. Not cheap. They say waste of money, they mix these two coolants all the time no problem. I go on to a FaceBook forum and start Googling. I read things like "gelling could occur" and "severe engine damage" by mixing this OAT coolant with "old coolant" but opinions seem to vary.

Freightliner and Cummins seem to think I am OK, but am wondering what the forum thinks? A coolant flush will likely cost me 500 bucks, but obviously that's cheaper than ruining an engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200812_000030.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	304707   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200812_000039.jpg
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	304708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_102915_01001.jpg
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	304709  
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

The 6.7 is not a wet sleeve engine. You should flush the system and refill. I have seen them gel it is not pretty.

Originally I thought you were saying they are both OAT but I now see they are not.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

To tie a ribbon around this thread in case anyone else has a similar problem, another forum sent me the attached Fleetguard technical bulletin. In it, the following is stated:

Fleetguard coolant additives and coolant products are fully compatible with all known competitive products . Our coolants, whether conventional SCA or OAT (organic acid technology) inhibited, are compatible with each other as well as the various conventional and OAT coolants of other manufacturers

I guess I feel a lot more comfortable about the mixing now, however I am still not going to purposely do it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Coolant Compatibility White Paper.pdf (76.8 KB, 2 views)
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, engine