RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Diesel Pusher - Cummins ISL Fault Code EGR Valve

After a recent trip, my 2008 Allegro Bus got the yellow CIL. I was able to pull the Code and it was a 411-2 (Fault Code 1866) Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation 1 Differential Pressure. Data Erratic, Intermittent or Incorrect.

I found a discussion on the Fault Code here:

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/08...0be%20disabled.

But, need some advice - I have a short trip this weekend (140 miles each way). Is that too far to go on this yellow CIL or is this something that can wait for my next trip to the Mechanic?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. I have no idea of how critical this is, or how much it would cost to take to Cummins.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #2

I had a very similar issue on our 2008 ISB. I was able to pull the EGR sensor (top passenger side of engine) and clean the ports/veins to the sensor. They were totally plugged with carbon. You may need to pull some small plugs along with the sensor to get access to the ports to clean them. Some compressed air and a long pick did the job. Remember, Youtube is a great resource. The hardest part will be getting to it. After I cleaned it, the code went away and hasn't come back in over a year.

You could probably drive it but I'd bet the ECM would de-rate your power. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
I had a very similar issue on our 2008 ISB. I was able to pull the EGR sensor (top passenger side of engine) and clean the ports/veins to the sensor. They were totally plugged with carbon. You may need to pull some small plugs along with the sensor to get access to the ports to clean them. Some compressed air and a long pick did the job. Remember, Youtube is a great resource. The hardest part will be getting to it. After I cleaned it, the code went away and hasn't come back in over a year.

You could probably drive it but I'd bet the ECM would de-rate your power. Good luck!
Appreciate the info. After some research on line - I think your solution is what I need! Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
After a recent trip, my 2008 Allegro Bus got the yellow CIL. I was able to pull the Code and it was a 411-2 (Fault Code 1866) Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation 1 Differential Pressure. Data Erratic, Intermittent or Incorrect.

I found a discussion on the Fault Code here:

https://www.blog-teknisi.com/2018/08...0be%20disabled.

But, need some advice - I have a short trip this weekend (140 miles each way). Is that too far to go on this yellow CIL or is this something that can wait for my next trip to the Mechanic?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated. I have no idea of how critical this is, or how much it would cost to take to Cummins.
How did you pull the code? I cannot do that with my ISB
Old 09-17-2020, 05:33 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
How did you pull the code? I cannot do that with my ISB
I bought a BlueFire that plugs into the Code Reader. It gives the ability to monitor multiple systems and see the actual codes (along with a short description of the issue). It costs about $175, but it definitely worth it.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
UPDATE:

After some on-line research, I decided to remove the Delta-P (EGR Pressure Differential Sensor) and found it was clogged. Took me about one hour to find it, remove it, clean it and put it back. Easy Peasy.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.....

Tags
cummins, diesel, valve