Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Dip stick won't stay in

I have an ISL 400 Cummins with a dipstick that will not stay in place no matter how diligently I screw the expansion top in place. Anyone one out there with a similar problem and maybe a fix. Is it because there is pressure buildup in the crankcase? Travel Supreme 2003 Spartan Chassis
pub1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you have a restricted or stopped up crankcase vent. So yes, it's probably pressure buildup.
Now, where it may be on your engine I haven't a clue, but that's about the only thing I can think of the would cause what you are describing.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #3

Go to the Cummins forum and search for your question. Another member of irv2.com, AFChap, had the same problem about 6 months ago. I forget what he did to correct the dipstick problem.
UPDATE: Here is AFChap's thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/oil-d...ut-199128.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Go to the Cummins forum and search for your question. Another member of irv2.com, AFChap, had the same problem about 6 months ago. I forget what he did to correct the dipstick problem.
UPDATE: Here is AFChap's thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/oil-d...ut-199128.html
I do not yet have a solution ...haven't had a chance to chase a new rubber donut and/or dipstick. I don't tighten it down much at all (or it WILL pop out), and I watch it very diligently
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tie wrap around the alternator bracket. A lot easier than cleaning up blown out oil. Yes the dipstick is calibrated, yes the vent is clear. Two speed jake on this engine will spit the stick when operating downhill in the Rockies...frequently.

If flat land try cleaning out the metal hole with electronic parts cleaner on a rag, and the rubber donut. That will cure most ISL spit outs.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #6

Never thought the Jake would be the culprit but it makes sense . I'll phone Cummins they may have a suggestion. I don't like Jerry rigging anything . I also don't like the mess. If I find a fix I will be sure to post. Thank you for all the input.
pub1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Primary problem is deterioration of the rubber donut. Replacrment dipstick from Spartan for my ISC is $40.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

I went to NAPA, ordered a short dip stick. With the same size rubber then swapped out the old one.
Once I changed the end I whacked the threads so it would not back all the off

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to say the dip stick rubber is not the problem, you should not have that much crankcase pressure that it wants to blow your dipstick out. I believe the ISL does not have a "slobber tube" , the crank case vent is internal and is a layered screen or mesh, it might just be plugged off.........I just remember reading on this subject before......another fellow had the same problem. It will be interesting to see what Cummins has to say????
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

I wonder if at some point the dipstick was over-tightened and bell'd the metal housing? Kinda hard to make something stay in a tapered hole.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

He said "Dip Stick won't stay in"

yes... I am 12.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I wonder if at some point the dipstick was over-tightened and bell'd the metal housing? Kinda hard to make something stay in a tapered hole.
Don't know it that could be possible or not, but I HAVE considered scoring the inside of the housing somehow to give the rubber something to bite into. In the early years it was poften very hard to get the dipstick to come out as the rubber was too sticky. Now that it is softer and slippery it pops right back out if you try to tighten it much at all.